So what do you think of the iPhone 5c?

Gazella

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I've been a long time iPhone user. I had an iPhone 5 prior to switching to Android (HTC One). Regarding the announcement, I thought it was disappointing, I wasn't impressed at all. What has gotten into Apple? I feel like they're slowly going down without Steve Jobs. I don't see how the 5c will sell with these price tags, people expected the prices to be much lower than that, and a lot were anticipating the 5c more than the 5s and they were majorly disappointed. The 5c is only $100 less than the 5s, it will sell for $730 in China so I'm not sure why Apple thought they label it as a "budget" phone and I do not understand their reasoning behind the absurd pricing since they've used cheap parts and materials to make them hence the pricing should be much cheaper. Plus, it has the same specs as the iPhone 5 just a few minor spec bumps, but basically it's an iPhone 5 with a new shell. And what's with those colors? They make the phone look cheap and toy-like, and the cases look like Crocs. Apple stock has gone down 5% after the Announcement, unsurprisingly. I just don't see myself going back to using an iPhone, I really love the HTC One and I truly think Android is doing very well, so I'm staying with Android.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
What has been floated around is, that the iPhone 5c can sell for 350-400 dollars in China and Apple can still maintain a nice profit margin.

That is the whole point of the 5c, and that turns out to be the case, that will be an excellent idea.

Gazella

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Am I the only one who thinks Ios7 has a HTC Sense look?

Posted via Android Central App

What aspect made you think that? I had iOS 7 installed on my iPhone 5 before switching to the HTC One and they're both completely different.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

cptnCheesecake

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
I think the iPhone 5C was a bad idea. Poorly executed. And if Jobs were alive, he would have not been behind it at all.

The iPhone 5C will still come out to the US equivalent of $300 with 2 year contract in China, which still puts it in the premium smartphone category, so its missing its target of being entry level priced in emerging markets.

Almost every recent Apple product has been made of aluminum, it's defined Apples aesthetic, and for them to go back to plastic is tacky. I can just imagine Jony Ive shaking his head or even having a heated argument with Tim Cook over having to say the words, "It's unapologetically plastic". Steve Jobs is turning in his grave.

A cheap plastic iphone will devalue the Apple brand, possibly lower the resale value of it's product. Brand allure was one of the edges Apple had over its competitors.

Want a cheaper iphone? Buy a previous gen model. There was nothing wrong with that system. It helped Apple sell off surplus inventory, and it helped expand the userbase of older models which benefitted them for app support.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The 5c is pretty much a plastic iPhone 5. It has a better reported battery life, is thicker, slightly heavier, made of plastic and only available in wild colors, no black. Pricing is $549 off contract for a 16GB, $99 on contract. It also comes in a 32GB version. The iPhone 5 is gone.

The 5s is the actual flagship, made of metal, has the A7 64 bit processor with a dedicated "M7" processor for fitness tracking and contextual awareness, the fingerprint scanner, equal battery life to the 5c, a better front facing camera, different back camera with improved low light and dual LED flash and is the same size and weight as the iPhone 5. It starts off at $649 for a 16GB and also comes in a 32GB and 64GB version.

For only a $100 difference, IMO getting the 5c is a mistake for everyone. Bigger body, heavier, plastic, less features and kinda insulting to one's intelligence. All of the actual upgrades landed in the 5s.

For emerging markets... this price point is missing the mark by a lot. Nexus is probably too high for that type of game.

fillmore.east

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
pointless release. imo, put out to scale down production costs of the "last year's model" product. nothing more. i don't expect this to sell well, and i don't honestly think that apple expects for it to be a hit either.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
pointless release. imo, put out to scale down production costs of the "last year's model" product. nothing more. i don't expect this to sell well, and i don't honestly think that apple expects for it to be a hit either.

It will sell exceptionally well, IMO. Here and in China, depending on the Chinese pricing.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
From what I've read it is a cost reduction overseas, but it's not enough of a cost reduction to make it competitive with mid range Android phones. It still costs as much as a premium phone.

kentrol72

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
What aspect made you think that? I had iOS 7 installed on my iPhone 5 before switching to the HTC One and they're both completely different.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Ok...its just me lol. I saw a video showing the diffrence between previous ios versions and ios7 and the first thing that struck my mind was Sense. I've not actually had a chance to use it as you have but my work cell is a 4s and when th update becomes available, I will get to take a better look at it.

Posted via Android Central App

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
It will sell about as well as the iPhone 5 would've if they had simply made it the $99 model, but with lower production costs than the 5.

That sounds about right. If I remember correctly, the iPhone 5 is very difficult to manufacture. (See here for more information.) Simplifying the manufacturing process would be beneficial to Apple.

I think some people wanted Apple to release a $350, off-contract iPhone, similar to how Google did the initial launch of the Nexus 4. I don't think Apple will do that anytime soon. Even if it did, you would still have to use iOS, and a lot of Android users don't like that operating system.

John Flud

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm digging the 5S, and will be in line this friday for it. the 5C however looks like what would happen if you crossed iphones with crocs. ugh. no thank you. reckon it'll sell plenty though. some people like loud gaudy colorful phones, and if they like iOS too its a win/win for them.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
There are people right now that will pick up the 4s for free on contract. There are also people who will buy the 99 dollar version of the phone because they feel they are getting a little bit more value of it.

Based on the last few U.S. carrier reports, usually the flagship phone will sell at least half of total amount of iPhones sold.

RyanMXA

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
The design is not pointless. I do not like it, but it has a purpose none the less.

Apple: Decisions, decisions - to keep making an aluminum i5 and sell it for 100 on contract? What to do?
Designer: I know! Lets tool up some plastic housings and re brand the i5! We can do that for less money.
Bean Counter: Sounds great! Cost down for a device we are selling at 100 regardless!
Marketing: Yeah! And we will describe it as a fresh new design of color and fun!

Just messing around, but that is the gist. I think it will sell like hotcakes. $100 for an i5 sounds good for most consumers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome