5s reviews are coming in!

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I was arguing with someone about how the iPhone won't have 4GB of RAM, but they insisted that it would be stupid of Apple to not utilize that much RAM because of the 64-bit CPU architecture...now who was that again? ;)

It's pretty obvious that a newer phone, especially an iPhone would perform better than pretty much all older phones. They pretty much always do.

I was a little surprised with some of the battery tests. I thought it would have done better in areas other than browsing. However, browsing is probably the function that is used the most on an iPhone, so it's good that they optimize to that. The fact that it was much better than most other phones on the CPU side shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. That's clearly where they spent all their time on this design. Presumably their next update will focus on RAM and the display while leveraging what they did with the CPU on this update.

I agree with the reviewer that this is a bigger update than many people are giving Apple credit for. Hopefully the M7 functions will be accessible enough for people to make some really cool apps that use it.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
As a developer I have to care.

As a consumer, I really don't care. No larger screen, no interest. It could be a million times faster than my S4, but if it still that screen size, I wouldn't get any personal enjoyment from it.

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I was arguing with someone about how the iPhone won't have 4GB of RAM, but they insisted that it would be stupid of Apple to not utilize that much RAM because of the 64-bit CPU architecture...now who was that again? ;)

It's pretty obvious that a newer phone, especially an iPhone would perform better than pretty much all older phones. They pretty much always do.

I was a little surprised with some of the battery tests. I thought it would have done better in areas other than browsing. However, browsing is probably the function that is used the most on an iPhone, so it's good that they optimize to that. The fact that it was much better than most other phones on the CPU side shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. That's clearly where they spent all their time on this design. Presumably their next update will focus on RAM and the display while leveraging what they did with the CPU on this update.

I agree with the reviewer that this is a bigger update than many people are giving Apple credit for. Hopefully the M7 functions will be accessible enough for people to make some really cool apps that use it.

So you are not surprised that a dual core SoC clocked at 1.3 mhz runs with only 1 gig of RAM runs much faster than a quad core device clocked at 1.7 mhz and has 2 gigs of RAM? Are you serious? Really? Come on, give some credit where credit is due.

What about the LG2 that was just introduced? It runs the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 (MSM8974) 4x Krait 400 2.3 GHz, Adreno 330 GPU. That was also slower than the 5S. What do you have to say about that?

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
So? It's still just an iPhone. Where's all the things Android has had for the last 2 years? Where's the app interoperability? Where's the ability to set any app I want as default? Where's the built in integration with all of the Google services because let's face it - all you iPhone users mostly rely on gmail, YouTube, Google maps etc. Google Now on an Android is way better than Google Now AND siri on an iPhone. Where's the freaking larger display size? Where's the improvements to notifications? Still with the physical home button double tapping.

To heck with the s4 comparison. I'd rather own an s3 than a 5s.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
For iOS and iPhone lovers its significant and I bet the 5s is pretty durned fast. Its a good upgrade for those on a 2-year contract that are eligible for an upgrade and want to stay with the iPhone/iOS ecosystem.

Sony XTZ

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
So you are not surprised that a dual core SoC clocked at 1.3 mhz runs with only 1 gig of RAM runs much faster than a quad core device clocked at 1.7 mhz and has 2 gigs of RAM? Are you serious? Really? Come on, give some credit where credit is due.

What about the LG2 that was just introduced? It runs the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 (MSM8974) 4x Krait 400 2.3 GHz, Adreno 330 GPU. That was also slower than the 5S. What do you have to say about that?
iPhones (and many Apple processors for other products) pretty much always have really good performance despite looking "worse" on paper. One or two numbers don't tell the whole story of a processor comprised of billions of transistors. They put a lot of work into exceeding the performance of any phone of the time and many phones that will be released soon after their iPhone. They pretty much have to to stay relevant for a whole year until their next release. They obviously have a lot of pride in the work they do. So no, I'm not surprised they yet again accomplished what they accomplish every year. This time they clearly put extra work into the processor, so it's an even safer bet.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site

No, that's not possible! It doesn't have enough specs to beat them! /s

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

Benchmark tests should never be used as a standard to gauge phone performance. They can be and are easily manipulated.

The only real way to compare them is to use them side by side. Although the 5s will naturally work better, as it was released about 5 months after the s4. So therefore apple had lots of time to make it better.

Never to mention, stock touchwiz runs like a snail anyways and is the ONLY reason the s4 even needed a quad core processor to run efficiently. All those flashy features have a price on the performance.

Edit: let me add that apple is closed source, they have and always will have a very strong grip on their os. Meaning that they can integrate the hardware and software together far better that any android OEM can.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
The only real way to compare them is to use them side by side. Although the 5s will naturally work better, as it was released about 5 months after the s4. So therefore apple had lots of time to make it better.

We'll probably see a lot of comparison reviews in the next few weeks. I would be interested in seeing a shoot-out with the iPhone 5s, the HTC One, the Samsung Galaxy S4, and the Nokia Lumia 1020. If another Nexus phone comes out soon, I'd like to see that thrown into the mix, too.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Edit: let me add that apple is closed source, they have and always will have a very strong grip on their os. Meaning that they can integrate the hardware and software together far better that any android OEM can.
Why can't another OEM do that? They can change the source code as much as they want, so why can't they optimize the OS to the hardware? Didn't Motorola do that with their contextual and natural voice "cores?"

The issue is when the software is closed source and you're trying to run it on a more open hardware platform (i.e. running Windows on the x86 platform). At that point you can't really optimize the OS to the hardware like you could if you developed everything from scratch, but that's not how Android works.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
From another site, but it says a lot of truth about Apple:

"Apple perfects their product. For me the strongest point of this interview was that "New is easy. Right is hard". Android phones can stuff themselves with all sort of features. Its true that the finger print sensor existed before, but Apple has perfected it and released the first USABLE version of it. What's the value in a function that is buggy, unreliable, and unusable, just to put a check mark that a new technology has been used? What makes Apple who they are is they strive for "Right", everything they add is to add value and improve the experience. There is nothing superfluous about their products."

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I agree that Apple usually releases a very polished-working product. For those that are happy with what iOS/iPhones offer they're gonna be happy. The way I sometimes think of it is that if you want more focus on the app experience iOS offers a lot. If you want more focus on the handset experience, I think Android offers more.

from my Sony Xperia Tablet Z or XTZ or "Ecstasy"

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Sorry TT double post.

And just because the fingerprint scanner works doesn't mean it will work well. Give me a scanner that picks up on ~ 1000 unique minutiae and doesn't store a copy of the initial scan on the device and they might have something. Otherwise it is just a gimmick.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Sorry TT double post.

And just because the fingerprint scanner works doesn't mean it will work well. Give me a scanner that picks up on ~ 1000 unique minutiae and doesn't store a copy of the initial scan on the device and they might have something. Otherwise it is just a gimmick.

I am inclined to agree. What happens if you get a scar on your thumb? Your other thumb has a different print.

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Sorry TT double post.

Where would it be stored? And why is it a gimmick?