Apple iPhones grrr

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Who else here thinks apple iPhones are lagging behind in creativity compared to android devices being produced nowadays?

I personally don't. They serve a different purpose in the smartphone world and are beautifully designed (hardware wise)

Sent from my *PURPLE* Galaxy S4

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'd agree that they're going down separate paths. The iPhone sucks miserably at being an Android device, and Android devices suck at being iPhones. The philosophy is similar enough to compare some aspects, but distinct enough to make the whole much more difficult. Is a bear or a tiger better? Which is less evolved? "At what?" and' "for what purpose?" become necessary questions to ask when trying to assess objective quality.

Nexus. Through spacetime.

mysticmeg

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Typical response from someone who doesn't have a clue.

Well said. I don't want iPhone/android bashers in this thread stating their opinions about how each other is bad, just want people to give me their views on how android phones have gotten bigger in screen size and processor power whereas the iPhone is just stuck in yesterdays technology and not giving their consumer base the features they want.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
how android phones have gotten bigger in screen size and processor power whereas the iPhone is just stuck in yesterdays technology and not giving their consumer base the features they want.

The iPhone 5s outperforms all other Android phones in benchmark tests with a dual-core 1.3 processor, and it is a 64-bit. Yesterday's technology? Lol!

Not giving consumers what they want? 9 MILLION sales in 3 days disputes that theory.
Not giving customers what they want? iPhone marketshare in the U.S. has been increasing for the past year, while Android has been slipping.
Not giving customers what they want? More than 50% of all smartphones sold on the 4 major carriers are iPhones.
Not giving customers what they want? There are a lot more people switching from Android to iPhone than vice-versa.
When the iPhone gets a larger screen, which will probably happen with the next one, sales will be off the charts. Those sales will include a bunch of Android jumpers.

WOW! What would happen if they gave customers what they wanted?

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Typical response from someone who doesn't have a clue.

For reference my comment was based on my experience of iPhone users, not the platform.

Nearly every iPhone user I know uses there smartphone as a dumbphone: calls, texts, pix, Facebook, that?s about their lot. They?ve bought an iPhone purely as a ?look-at-me? phone and simply followed the herd. Whenever I?ve ever shown an interest in asking what their phone can actually do, I?ve usually been greeted with a blank stare as in?.?what you talking about??

Now here?s a shock: my next phone is probably going to be?. an iPhone!!! I ended up on Android following the death of Symbian and my choice of alternative platform was not an easy decision to make. However, what finally swung it for Android was the multitude of options for customisation as the one thing which I don?t particualrly like about Apple is that its there way or no way.

So Mr Pappy, please don?t accuse me of ?not having a clue?. As stated, my comment is based on my experiences of the majority of iPhone users who I know, not the platform.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
So Mr Pappy, please don’t accuse me of “not having a clue”. As stated, my comment is based on my experiences of the majority of iPhone users who I know, not the platform.

So the people that you know don't know what a smartphone is? That is what you are saying. Actually, if a survey was done, I would bet that the majority of smartphone owners would say that they use their phone mainly for calls, texts, pics, and web. Android just has more customization to do these things.
BTW, sorry about the "don't have a clue".

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
The problem I have with most (not all) iPhone users I know is that they have an iPhone for that reason alone ? because it is an iPhone

Apple design beautiful hardware, its expensive, and through there ingenious marketing it?s a ?must have? status item for a lot of people. Personally I don?t see the point in spending that kind of money ? either SIM free or on monthly contract prices ? to use a phone as, well, just a phone, but that?s just my opinion of course. Each to a persons own naturally: their choice, their money etc., but I find it rather baffling why people make that kind of investment just to carry out the basic tasks which I mentioned previously, and believe me that?s nearly what all of the many iPhone users I know at work use their phones for.

I?m not a geek by any means but I do have an interest in technology and gadgets and working out what ? if anything ? it can do for me. It just pains me to see people with very expensive technology in their hands having zero interest in finding out just what it can do. They never know, they might be pleasantly surprised.

abazigal

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Nearly every iPhone user I know uses there smartphone as a dumbphone: calls, texts, pix, Facebook, that?s about their lot. They?ve bought an iPhone purely as a ?look-at-me? phone and simply followed the herd. Whenever I?ve ever shown an interest in asking what their phone can actually do, I?ve usually been greeted with a blank stare as in?.?what you talking about??

Just about every friend or colleague who has an Android smartphone pretty much uses it for these very same purposes as well. They certainly aren't typing essays or remotely controlling their PCs with them.

BratPAQ

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
IOS is very different from Android. It's like coffee and soft drinks. Both has caffeine but they cater to different people. Just because you like soft drinks and hate coffee doesn't mean coffee sucks.

For me iOS cater mostly for people who just like to use it. No customization, "just use it". While on Android I spend most of my time customizing it. I want it to behave exactly the way I want it to (by using Tasker).

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4

ILMostro7

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
It seems to me that Android has created a niche somewhere between Microsoft/Windows and Mac/iOS.

**As we all know, the integration and smoothe operation of Apple Hardware and its own Software( Along with Steve Jobs' vision/leadership) have propelled the company and the brand from the brink of extinction to the most powerful and most profitable company on the planet (Q3/Q4 of Fiscal year 2012).

**Microsoft/Windows had dominated the market by licensing its software to manufacturers who could "assemble" the hardware categorically and load the proprietary software to create a generic-for lack of a better term-product for the masses in a timely/cost-effective manner.
Though, the money saved on research/integration/development meant those PCs usually couldn't even use the technology within to its FULL potential.

Meanwhile, in the current market trends--with Mobile devices surpassing Desktops/Laptops--Android has emerged as an Open Source, customizable Operating System to fill the gaping hole left by Microsoft's inaction to recognize what Google had realized very early on, shortly after iOS/iPhone release; namely, to anticipate and shape the shift to more powerful mobile devices that could potentially rival the technology found in stationary Desktop PC systems--or at least its usage by the masses/consumers.

However, the nature of an OpenSource OS enables manufacturers--especially those who actually MANUFACTURE their own hardware, i.e. ASUS, Samsung--to customize, adapt, embelish the software in order to facilitate a more seemless integration between HW/SW; thereby providing the best of both worlds, in a more cost-effective product.

Nevertheless, the third-party software still has to be integrated/adapted/customized by the device manufacturers. Once again, though, the Open Source code minimizes that time constraint and development cycle of Android products/devices by bridging the collaboration between Hardware & Software maker. Based on that collaboration and cost-effectiveness/entropy, the development/evolution of Android devices is growing at a more exponential rate than that of Apple products.

To summarize it, the nature of the Android operating system applies the cost-effective measures that Windows offers, while providing a better integration of Hardware and Software--the progression of which is speeding up. Finally, add on top of that the tremendous loss of Steve Jobs, and the equations seems to have/be shift-ed/ing.

P.S. the record sales of iphones during the release of the iPhone 5s have more to do with Apples market-share (expansion into China) than with innovation and development--both of which *may* prove to be stifled by the AppStore,etc policies.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Tapatalk 4

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Well said. I don't want iPhone/android bashers in this thread stating their opinions about how each other is bad, just want people to give me their views on how android phones have gotten bigger in screen size and processor power whereas the iPhone is just stuck in yesterdays technology and not giving their consumer base the features they want.

The screen size issue is interesting. I've heard it both ways. Apple users want a phone with a bigger screen, and Android users want a phone with a smaller screen. Both groups don't want to compromise on the other features, like processor power, camera quality, and battery life.

Perhaps the best solution is to own both an iPhone and an Android phone at the same time. You get the best of both worlds.

festinator

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
The screen size issue is interesting. I've heard it both ways. Apple users want a phone with a bigger screen, and Android users want a phone with a smaller screen. Both groups don't want to compromise on the other features, like processor power, camera quality, and battery life.

Perhaps the best solution is to own both an iPhone and an Android phone at the same time. You get the best of both worlds.

The difference is, with android you can get a phone with a smaller screen.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app