My reaction to iOS 8's new dev-friendly keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I didn't catch all of it, but it was mostly Apple playing catch up to Android, and mocking Android in the same breath for being 'inferior'. I can understand the need to say 'Hey this is how the competition is doing' but not the mocking that was so prevalent (considering I only watched about 45 minutes of it).

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I didn't catch all of it, but it was mostly Apple playing catch up to Android, and mocking Android in the same breath for being 'inferior'. I can understand the need to say 'Hey this is how the competition is doing' but not the mocking that was so prevalent (considering I only watched about 45 minutes of it).

No... it was a reoccurring theme throughout the presentation... from Cook's keynote through the others. Overall, an amazing display of cognitive dissonance if you ask me (thankfully, only the most ardent iFan mouthpieces are saying otherwise)

But yeah... "OHMAHGERD!!! Android is the lamest!!!! But let's put a bunch of its features in our new OS!"

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't watch much of it as they always come across as so pretentious! IMHO, there should be a reference to them in the dictionary for its definition; attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I was really excited to have it in 2010 also. I have used it a lot in the 4 years it has been on Android so far.

Wether or not it was on android first is irrelevant. Really , who cares who had what first? I was very impressed what they showed at WWDC, mostly because it shows that Apple is finally changing a lot of its philosophy's.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Wether or not it was on android first is irrelevant. Really , who cares who had what first? I was very impressed what they showed at WWDC, mostly because it shows that Apple is finally changing a lot of its philosophy's.

It matters to those who's who must put down others in order to legitimize their own opinions and choices. No big whoop.

It will be sweet to be able fire up SwiftKey on my iPhone and have it already full of all my Android typing history. At least I hope they do this.

-Beamed from my Moto X.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes but he is still happy about it. Why do you feel the need to throw dirt at someone else's happiness?
Who is throwing dirt? I'm glad he finally has access to it. It is a good thing than after many years of being stuck with whatever Apple gave them, Apple users finally have the same choices Android users have had since 2009. Thats a good thing.

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Baby steps. I'm happy.

Next is Launchers & Widgets! LOL

Widgets are already gonna be available on iOS 8. I don't think launchers are ever gonna be made available because iOS doesn't have to worry about device manufacturers putting their resource hungry launchers on the devices.

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Going to be nice to see what those keyboards can do when they're well optimized for a specific device rather than haphazardly tossed on top of whatever random droid they might be tossed on.

Seriously though, this thread is excessively petty.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Widgets are already gonna be available on iOS 8.
Well, in the notification area. Cross your fingers for desktop widgets in iOS9.

I don't think launchers are ever gonna be made available because iOS doesn't have to worry about device manufacturers putting their resource hungry launchers on the devices.
Apple will never ever allow launchers. Ever. They might allow specific customization to the home screen. They might even allow widgets on the home screen. But a whole new launcher? Never. apple will never cede that kind of control to 3rd parties.

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Well, in the notification area. Cross your fingers for desktop widgets in

I prefer my widgets in one centralized location that I can quickly access from within any app without having to exit an app to go to the home screen the widget is residing in. The pull down today screen is a perfect place for me instead of having them sprawled out through multiple home pages.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I prefer my widgets in one centralized location that I can quickly access from within any app without having to exit an app to go to the home screen the widget is residing in.
If it is on the home screen to begin with, you do not even need to go to the notification area. It's already there in front of you. Thats why clock widgets are not in the notification area.

The pull down today screen is a perfect place for me instead of having them sprawled out through multiple home pages.
I don't see how flipping left to go to a different homescreen is any different from going to a notification area. And having the option of putting a widget on the main homescreen instead, if I want, seems much more flexible. If they took the option out of Android to put widgets on the home screen, I would miss it.

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
If it is on the home screen to begin with, you do not even need to go to the notification area. It's already there in front of you. Thats why clock widgets are not in the notification area.

I don't see how flipping left to go to a different homescreen is any different from going to a notification area. And having the option of putting a widget on the main homescreen instead, if I want, seems much more flexible. If they took the option out of Android to put widgets on the home screen, I would miss it.

I don't think you understood me. If I'm doing something in an app and I want to check a game score, I just pull down the Today screen to quickly see the score then swipe it back up. I never left the app. If the widget is on a home page, I will have to leave the app to go to the home page.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Going to be nice to see what those keyboards can do when they're well optimized for a specific device rather than haphazardly tossed on top of whatever random droid they might be tossed on.

Too bad about iPhone 4 users eh?

Have not seen any Android phones that have problems with Swiftkey so far. Works great on my 2 year+ rezound, my Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Samsung GS3, sister's Note 2, Brother's Moto Razr...which Android phones are having issues with it?

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Too bad about iPhone 4 users eh?

Have not seen any Android phones that have problems with Swiftkey so far. Works great on my 2 year+ rezound, my Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Samsung GS3, sister's Note 2, Brother's Moto Razr...which Android phones are having issues with it?

Those iPhone 4's have probably been using custom keyboards and much more through jailbreak so don't feel bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad