People already lining up for Iphone 6 LOL

Nerf72

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I believe that if there was only one model of iPhone, and only one model of Android phone at the same price, and nothing else available, that iPhone would smoke the Android in sales. IMHO, of course.

You sure?

Lets speculate:

Apple is one OS for one mobile phone per year (ignore the 6+ at the moment)
If you want IOS, you HAVE to buy Iphone and if you want a new one its One model only. (again, ignore the anomaly that Apple sell last years product as "New" One market (premium) and only one goalpost to aim for ( make the iphone just good(cheap) enough to please the Iphone buyer and keep profits high)
So we have the situation where Apple shift boat loads of Phones every year (You want IOS, you get an iphone)

Android on the other hand has to deal with multiple price points, markets, (languages as well) environments, feature lists, manufacturers etc. In being all things to all men, it is severely hampered.
In fact it is a testament to Android that it manages to keep up with Apple at all!
so we have a VAST array of units being sold, all different etc. Whilst a total of more phones are sold with android than IOS, the resources of the android manufacturers are spread thinner, with multiple manufacturers and multiple models. I'd argue again that its a testament to Android that the manufacturers can keep up with Apple at all.

But this changing, Android One is going to change the lower end substantially. The number of manufacturers is reducing (Sony are goosed, HTC are struggling for air, Samsung profits are falling) so its likely that in the future we will have only a few manufacturers making high end Android devices. (Motorola, Google, LG?) and as the number of players in the market shrinks, the market share will increase and then Apple will see some serious competition from less, but larger competitors who are able to lever the larger shipping numbers to make genuinely great products.

Moto imho, are onto something when thay have said that no one want expensive phones anymore. The market is changing, Contracts are becoming outdated and people just want to pay for phones upfront and use the carriers for call rates only. Apple's price policy will not stand up to that. at the moment, An iphone with a usable amount of memory(64gb) is in the region of €800. The best Android on the market at the moment (ie 16GB LG3) can be had online for €450-500 with decent SD card included.

That is €300 in difference or 40%!

Is the Iphone 40% better than the LG? dunno and if you want IOS its an irrelevance but people move and change and as the manufacturers begin to thin out and Premium spec androids are made by fewer companies, they will be able to make better and better phones and the (perceived?) gap in engineering is going to fall further. yet that price difference may not and i don't think the market is there anymore for it. (You may point to the large sales of iphones at the moment, but they have burnt there powder in the new screen size. All the older Iphone-ees who have held off for a bigger screen have come rushing to the flame. I wouldn't be sure that this rush will happen next year)

Give HTC, or Sony or LG or Moto the same market share and income as Apple and i think apple would be in deep trouble very soon.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edgar702

Banned
Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
"No it does not. It has a crippled version of it that only works with keyboards. You cannot change any other default...not maps or browser or email or launcher or lockscreen or anything else. "

I said nothing about defaults. iOS 8 does have 3rd party app integration .

Edgar702

Banned
Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Um...the Nexus has not had the best specs in the Android world for a long time. Technically, it did not even have the best specs in the Android world when it was released.

Here you go with semantics again. Okay, the Nexus has the bigger specs. So, it is pathetic for the Nexus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I said nothing about defaults.
Heh...thats what 3rd party app integration is. It's what allows me to use Chrome as my default browser if I want. Or use Nova launcher as my default desktop.

iOS 8 does have 3rd party app integration .
No it does not. If you click on an email link, Apple mail (and only Apple mail) will open by default. If you click on an internet link, Safari (and only Safari) will open up. You cannot change that behavior on iOS.

When I click on a link, Chrome opens up. If I wanted to, I could make Dolphin open by default instead, or Firefox, or any other browser. I can do the same thing with any function. Android will treat these 3rd party apps as if they are native to the OS. Apple will only treat APPLE apps as native to the OS. (Except for keyboards)

Edgar702

Banned
Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Heh...thats what 3rd party app integration is. It's what allows me to use Chrome as my default browser if I want. Or use Nova launcher as my default desktop.

No it does not. If you click on an email link, Apple mail (and only Apple mail) will open by default. If you click on an internet link, Safari (and only Safari) will open up. You cannot change that behavior on iOS.

When I click on a link, Chrome opens up. If I wanted to, I could make Dolphin open by default instead, or Firefox, or any other browser. I can do the same thing with any function. Android will treat these 3rd party apps as if they are native to the OS. Apple will only treat APPLE apps as native to the OS. (Except for keyboards)

I see app integration as being able to be in an app, such as photos, and pull up another app to do a task within the photos app. That is integration to me.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I see app integration as being able to be in an app, such as photos, and pull up another app to do a task within the photos app. That is integration to me.
That is application interoperability. On Android we call it the Share menu. iOS is just now finally getting that (and only on phones that can run iOS8...which basically means iPhone 5 or above). I had that on my Droid 1 in 2009.

Edgar702

Banned
Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
That is application interoperability. On Android we call it the Share menu. iOS is just now finally getting that (and only on phones that can run iOS8...which basically means iPhone 5 or above). I had that on my Droid 1 in 2009.

Okay, cool. I can't keep up with these technological terms!
Speaking of the original Droid, I got one at release, and just sold it about 6 months ago. I really enjoyed that phone. Back then, rooting was a complicated process, and you ran a real risk of ending up with a paperweight.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Okay, cool. I can't keep up with these technological terms!
I can use the normal terms like "share menu", but other operating systems will call them different things. Thats why I use the technical terms. "Application interoperability" means the same thing on every OS.

Speaking of the original Droid, I got one at release, and just sold it about 6 months ago. I really enjoyed that phone. Back then, rooting was a complicated process, and you ran a real risk of ending up with a paperweight.
I can't find mine. It was a great phone but had very little memory (both RAM and storage) which basically crippled it. It had a better camera than iPhones of it's time though. And a fantastic display...four times the resolution of the iPhone 3GS. It had a 263ppi display which is almost-retina quality for Apple tablets. The best ipads have only 264ppi.

It was an ugly phone, but it was a tank. I never broke it, and I droped it lots of times.

Edgar702

Banned
Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I can use the normal terms like "share menu", but other operating systems will call them different things. Thats why I use the technical terms. "Application interoperability" means the same thing on every OS.

I can't find mine. It was a great phone but had very little memory (both RAM and storage) which basically crippled it. It had a better camera than iPhones of it's time though. And a fantastic display...four times the resolution of the iPhone 3GS. It had a 263ppi display which is almost-retina quality for Apple tablets. The best ipads have only 264ppi.

It was an ugly phone, but it was a tank. I never broke it, and I droped it lots of times.

Why bring up Apple in this conversation about the OG Droid? Someone stated that you are obsessed with Apple, and that seems to be showing. I love Android and iOS.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Well...I can. I provided 3 and you provided one.

The iPhone 6 has had a year of development time over the Nexus 5 and costs twice as much...it should be wiping the floor with the Nexus. But thats not what is happening.

It is but you can't see it in your blindness.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

This keeps on showing your lack of knowledge. iOS had the sharing menu for a long *** time, but now they've opened it up for developers.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

Oh good so you don't know about apple really. The iPad mini RETINA HAS 326PPI!

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Why bring up Apple in this conversation about the OG Droid?
Because this is an Apple thread. Thats what the title is about. I was demonstrating another area where Apple has been lagging behind Android.

Someone stated that you are obsessed with Apple, and that seems to be showing.
I don't think it's unreasonable to be making comparisons on an Apple thread in an Android forum. If you look at all of my posts on here, the vast majority are not about Apple. It's just the Apple ones that seem to tick people off.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
This keeps on showing your lack of knowledge. iOS had the sharing menu for a long *** time, but now they've opened it up for developers.

Yeah, thats kinda the point.

It had a 263ppi display which is almost-retina quality for Apple tablets. The best ipads have only 264ppi.

Oh good so you don't know about apple really. The iPad mini RETINA HAS 326PPI!
Where did I reference the "iPad mini"? I said "iPad" not "iPad mini".

You don't need to put so much effort into digging for a "gotcha" quote.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, thats kinda the point.

Where did I reference the "iPad mini"? I said "iPad" not "iPad mini".

You don't need to put so much effort into digging for a "gotcha" quote.

You said the best iPad. The Retina mini had the same A7 as the normal iPad.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
"No it does not. It has a crippled version of it that only works with keyboards. You cannot change any other default...not maps or browser or email or launcher or lockscreen or anything else. "

I said nothing about defaults. iOS 8 does have 3rd party app integration .

Why does anyone want to change a lock screen? I barley see it, just to check my notifications for a second then I use the finger print scanner to open my phone.

Who needs defaults? No one is forced to use safari or apple maps or anything.

Why would anyone want to change a launcher? So you can arrange your magical widgets that make your phone lag? I don't even have to look for my apps, I just use spotlight search to find what I want, takes two seconds, launchers are pointless.

On androids I used the Google launder because I got tired of changing from one laggy launcher to the next.

All of these little "features" are useless. At least from my perspective.

And I'm so happy I don't have to see 1000 notification icons piled up in my status bar.

Android has a lot of stuff to clean up, it's a mess. Apps surrounded by widgets, notification icons all over the place, having to go get a special lock screen just to have your notifications show up there.

There's a lot of little things about android that you consider "features" that actually detract from the experience. The rest of your argument is pre conceived notions and talk about default apps when you don't need to use any of apples apps if you don't want to.

Sent from my 128gb iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk via Sprint Spark

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci