Going to iPhone6?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I would have to disagree on that, as iOS is as smooth as it gets, and it can outperform the top android phones that cost the same amount

Nexus 5, Moto X, HTC One M8 (among others).... they are just as smooth and responsive. The "iOS is just so much smoother" days are behind us. Apple enjoys no built-in hardware or software advantages anymore.

rews

Banned
Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Saying this as someone who uses androids as my main phone but also owning a 5s and mini retina, it's not that cut and dry. The iPhone is still quicker and transitions smoother. Not very noticeable until you do multiple activities with both side by side, and only slightly but it does. But the android has a lot more capabilities. So the slight advantage iPhone has in redraw speed and smooth transitions is outweighed by Android functionality. Slapping on a couple 3rd party keyboards, a highly limited selection of notification widgets, and a highly limited app interoperability isn't enough to tip that balance.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Saying this as someone who uses androids as my main phone but also owning a 5s and mini retina, it's not that cut and dry. The iPhone is still quicker and transitions smoother. Not very noticeable until you do multiple activities with both side by side, and only slightly but it does. But the android has a lot more capabilities. So the slight advantage iPhone has in redraw speed and smooth transitions is outweighed by Android functionality. Slapping on a couple 3rd party keyboards, a highly limited selection of notification widgets, and a highly limited app interoperability isn't enough to tip that balance.

Still sounds subjective. Are you using 2014 Android devices or they from 2012?

Posted via the Android Central App

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
The device doesn't matter. Android isn't as smooth as iOS; it just isn't. It's the manner in which touch input is detected and then elements are drawn on the screen. This causes the slight hesitation when moving around Android. Scrolling through lists is not as smooth on Android. Panning across the OS is not as smooth. Moving between apps is not as smooth. It just isn't.

If you spend time with each you will see it. I mean real time actually using it. Not just playing with a friends or at a store. Use an iPhone for a week straight and then go back to Android. The first time scrolling through a list stutters even a little bit you will notice because that never happens on iOS. Android is plenty fast at completing tasks, probably faster than iOS. But it's not as smooth; it just isn't.

I switch between my iPhone 5 and Moto X frequently. I notice it every time.

rews

Banned
Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Still sounds subjective. Are you using 2014 Android devices or they from 2012?

Currently on a Z2 and N7 on the android side and I also have the N5 as my hackaround rooting/ROM toy. I have family in smartphone sales management who let me play with most new flagships for a few weeks at a time, from whom I often pick one or two to buy at a discount.

It's not subjective in some areas though. The android method of screen redraw is slower than iOS. For example, take a nexus 7 running stock (meaning do not turn on developer options either) and mini retina, both from 2013 and rapidly rotate the screen on both between portrait and landscape, numerous times each. You'll notice the mini will never hiccup at all and transitions extremely smoothly. The N7 will slighly stutter occasionally.

I wanted to ensure this wasn't device specific so I hassled my family to let me play with a Gtab vs mini and a 10" Samsung vs regular sized iPad and noticed the same thing to varying degrees.

I initially tried this using phones but it's much easier to spot for testing on a tablet than it is on a 4" iPhone 5s.

But for anyone who missed my last post, scroll up to note my conclusion that the difference is very slight. You won't notice unless you're actually looking for it. But it is there. Having said that, a slightly more agile iOS isn't enough of an advantage to trade for the more numerous capabilities of Android, at least in my books.

I'm just trying to be objective here, and that means being willing and honest enough to admit android doesn't outdo iOS in every single way imaginable.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I am considering putting my OG Moto X aside a while to try out the 4.7" iPhone 6 -- mainly because I switched to Macs for work. I understand that integration between the computer and mobile is going to be very strong between iOS 8 & OS X.

This assumes that I will be able to pay full retail for an iPhone 6 on Verizon's network. If I have to sign up for a contract ... no deal.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I keep reading this all over/other forums. What exactly is the problem with iTunes?

Being a Mac user, I don't get it because you can either Sync your library or if you want (don't know why you would) you can drag & drop.

Because ... despite the late Steve Jobs' claims, I do not want to buy music. I strongly prefer services like Google Play Music -- gives me the biggest music library I could ever imagine.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like #FirstWorldProblems. But seriously I have spent a lot of time with iOS and both are fast to me. Maybe it is Dependant on the person. If you are looking for something wrong with someone of course you will probably notice more but I haven't noticed anything tangible that says iOS is faster than Android.

But all of this anecdotal. My experience ain't yours so we can agree to disagree.

rrballer11

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
You don't have to use iTunes to move audio on and off an iPhone anymore. There are apps in the AppStore that allows you to upload music using your browser. Those apps even have there own music player.

Yes, you can get pick up an Android device that has a dual core processor and 1gb of RAM for less than an iPhone 6 but will it run as fast and smooth as the iPhone 6?

The best thing to do is try it out for yourself and make a decision from personal experience.

Nexus is the answer

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I had four iPhone 4 that the first one broke with about one week after the one year warranty ended. During that time Apple came out with a new version the 4s and every time I went into their store it was a nightmare even after making appointments that were one days in advance since it was just before Christmas. Apple sales people only solutions was to sign a new AT&T 2 year contract even though AT&T service wouldn't work inside my home and forced me to stand outside for calls. Apple replace the 1st phone by charging me $150. I didn't even get home before I turned the car around since that phone wouldn't stay connected on a call from more than a minute before it dropping the call. They told me to go home and make another appointment on the computer to replace my phone after Christmas. The 3rd i4 screen started flaking out after 30 days so I returned that one only to find out my $150 replacement only had a 30 day warranty. Apple then told me to pay another $150.

Long story short hell will freeze over before I ever own another Apple product. The last few times I went into the Apple store their sales people #1 advice was to sign a new contact with AT&T and get a new 4s since they wouldn't help me un-lock my phone so I could sell it. AT&T gave me a release to unlock but Apple didn't care since the one AT&T agreed to unlock the 1st broken phone that I had paid Apple to replace twice.

It has been about three years now and my sister still can't Text me from her iPhone since that is Apple's iMessage that is their revenge on people that stopped buying their products.

rrballer11

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
The device doesn't matter. Android isn't as smooth as iOS; it just isn't. It's the manner in which touch input is detected and then elements are drawn on the screen. This causes the slight hesitation when moving around Android. Scrolling through lists is not as smooth on Android. Panning across the OS is not as smooth. Moving between apps is not as smooth. It just isn't.

If you spend time with each you will see it. I mean real time actually using it. Not just playing with a friends or at a store. Use an iPhone for a week straight and then go back to Android. The first time scrolling through a list stutters even a little bit you will notice because that never happens on iOS. Android is plenty fast at completing tasks, probably faster than iOS. But it's not as smooth; it just isn't.

I switch between my iPhone 5 and Moto X frequently. I notice it every time.

That bloatware for you, try vanilla andriod.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Whats your point? its better then that...
Thought you were saying that stock Android would make a phone with dual-core CPUs and 1GB of RAM faster than an iPhone
Even the Nexus isn't smoother than the iPhone. If anything they're evenly matched, although the Nexus does have faster animations

Amanda786

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi
I believe better to wait till it's launch. I can't say much before it's launch Apple is clamming a-lot about iPhon6. I have 4S and I am happy with it I don't like iPhone 5. My friends who have iPhone 5 says they think 4S was better in many ways. Especially the battery timings of 4S is good than 5 when. This is my opinion.

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Nexus 5, Moto X, HTC One M8 (among others).... they are just as smooth and responsive. The "iOS is just so much smoother" days are behind us. Apple enjoys no built-in hardware or software advantages anymore.

Maybe it's just cause I'm used to laggy touchwiz xD

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I think I'm going to give it a try, at least for the 14 day return period. As much as I like my Moto X the lingering signal drop issues, poor camera, and ongoing security update issues have me considering other options. The Moto X really convinced me 4.7 is the right size device for me (and that I don't care about resolutions above 720p), but there aren't a lot of options available with Android anymore.

My biggest concern is the notification system. Motorola's Active Notification system aside iOS's notification center really lacks compared to Android's. I like being able to see a persistent icon for a notification until I dismiss it, and the notification info on a pulldown seems to sync up with the current status a lot better on Android than iOS (maybe it's just me. On my iPad I always seems to have notifications from crazy stuff days ago.)

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I keep reading this all over/other forums. What exactly is the problem with iTunes?

Being a Mac user, I don't get it because you can either Sync your library or if you want (don't know why you would) you can drag & drop.

Being it is on itunes is a selling point for me lol ... Makes it easier :p

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus doesn't have a dual-core processor or 1GB of RAM.

People make way too big a deal about that. Yes, the Apple proc has 'only' dual cores, but don't let that fool you into thinking it only has half the power. That A8 processor is still a pretty powerful one and has as much grunt as the current SD SOCs. And with iOS, the fact that it has only 1G of RAM is also a bit of a nonstarter since iOS doesn't multitask the same way (or as much) as Android. iOS is a lot more restrictive as far as who can run in the background and for how long whereas Android allows apps more leeway (like on a desktop). It's not like Apple has some magic memory pixie dust that it sprinkles on their phones and applications use less memory... they don't... they just keep things pretty locked down (this is Apple, remember).

Hardware-wise, the iPhone 6 is a pretty impressive phone so that's not really the place to take shots.... it's what's running on that hardware and the company that develops it where the real problems lie. But for HW, the only place where they completely whiffed is the power plant. I think they got WAAAAAY to cute with the size.... they could have slapped a much larger battery in that thing without making it that much thicker. Once deep-dive reviews come rolling in, I bet you you'll see plenty of comments like "I wish the battery would last longer", etc...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakhikumari800000