Does Apple Inspire Android to Do Better?

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Do you believe that Apple inspires Android to do better?

For example, it used to be that an iPhone would have these qualities (before the introduction of this year's iPhones):

- Smaller screen
- No NFC
- No water resistance
- No external storage options, like microSD cards
- Screen resolutions below 1080p
- No stylus

However, if you take the reverse of all of the above, you can probably find an Android phone that has one of more of those features. We could probably make the case that by exploring areas not covered by Apple, Android serves a market that Apple does not.

With the advent of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, we are seeing Apple respond to the market pressure put on by Android. I think this is good because it helps push Android to do more. So, while I or anyone else may not want to buy an iPhone, we can still benefit from it.

What do you think? Does Apple's presence in the mobile market make Android better?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I think now it's the other way around... Android's forcing Apple to catch up! But at the same time, to keep ahead from Apple and (small laugh) Microsoft and (outright laughter) BlackBerry, Android does need to keep improving and manufacturers need to come up with far better things every time.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
But at the same time, to keep ahead from Apple and (small laugh) Microsoft and (outright laughter) BlackBerry, Android does need to keep improving and manufacturers need to come up with far better things every time.

I do agree that Android needs to come up with far better things. If Android only matches what Apple brings the table, I have a feeling that people will just stay with whatever they have. If you want to convince people to switch, you really need to have features that are overwhelmingly superior.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I hope they inspire each other.

I hope WP and BB inspires others and vice versa. Lets go back in time before the iPhone. If Palm, BB and Win Mo was more like the orig iPhone, what could Apple do that was so radically different vs how it really was in the mobile market when it launched? The orig iPhone being such a bold, risky move was the best thing about the orig iPhone. And that move spurred on others. Never in so many years have I seen such bold moves for phones: 3D, folding screen that can act as one, tablet,/laptop docks, projector built in, etc. Most of those are Android exclusives. (or exclusive currently)

Cant say enough about Apple doing bigger screen phones and smaller tablets, improved notifications, etc.

I hope they all inspire each other.

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Yes, initially Apple (the first smart phone line with mass acceptance) inspired Android, and then Android surpassed Apple when Apple put out the iPhone 5. At that time, I got a Samsung Galaxy S3 instead of an iPhone 5, in so many ways the S3 was beyond the iPhone 5 functionally. After that, Android inspired Apple to play catch up with display size, keyboards, NFC, etc. So now they're about neck-and-neck again (in my opinion), it'll be interesting to see where things go from here. At this point (again, in my opinion *smile*), picking an Apple phone or Android phone is more a matter of taste. I'm curious where we'll be a couple of years downstream.

iman89

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I think Android is ahead of Apple, feature wise. There is also better hardware inside the devices at the current stage. Android has a little more freedom, since so many companies use it that it gives them the power to change the OS in their own unique way to make it different. Apple, you only have 1 choice really. The thing that Apple does have is more external hardware for its Apps when it comes to Music Production. Although that's not that huge since most people make music on their powerhouses laptops or desktops. There is alternatives to that hardware anyways.

I am an iPhone 5 user and looking to upgrade to one of the latest Android devices. :)

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
The thing that Apple does have is more external hardware for its Apps when it comes to Music Production. Although that's not that huge since most people make music on their powerhouses laptops or desktops. There is alternatives to that hardware anyways.

Music production is a side hobby I have been doing for over 15 years now, I have been intrigued by the offering that you mention but you speak truth...while hardware for music Apps is available, the true equipment used by live musicians is generally run through real PC/Macbooks. The only market that likely finds a benefit in those external hardware tools serviced by Apple iPhone/iPad apps are inspiring/amateur people trying to LEARN about music recording/production. So i agree with your statement.

As far as the discussion, I do believe Apple has played catch up now for the last 2 years but believe they will now help Android push even further. If Android gets too comfortable and Apple finds ways to drive new/exciting features not available on Android, people will leave for iOS...and Android cant afford it.

KSAU

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I hope they inspire each other.

I hope WP and BB inspires others and vice versa. Lets go back in time before the iPhone. If Palm, BB and Win Mo was more like the orig iPhone, what could Apple do that was so radically different vs how it really was in the mobile market when it launched? The orig iPhone being such a bold, risky move was the best thing about the orig iPhone. And that move spurred on others. Never in so many years have I seen such bold moves for phones: 3D, folding screen that can act as one, tablet,/laptop docks, projector built in, etc. Most of those are Android exclusives. (or exclusive currently)

Cant say enough about Apple doing bigger screen phones and smaller tablets, improved notifications, etc.

I hope they all inspire each other.

Just look at the evolution of mobile devices in the last 5yrs. Imagine whats in the pipeline

Helix_App

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site
It's always felt like for me that Apple's initial products are always more polished, and Android's need a lot of more work to be done before they can be compared. IMO, Apple's Watch is far better in terms of design than any Android ones are.

LazarX

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Competition is always good for the consumer, even if the companies would rather not have it.

It works both ways, Apple's original IPhone is the reason Android came to be. For the purposes of this discussion, I'm only referring to the elite Android phone makers who actually push the hardware frontier as opposed to those who are just slapping the OS on generic or even substandard hardware. So we're talkin basically companies in the league of Samsung, Motorola OneToOne.

So yes, we're in a game of eternal leapfrog. Apple is pretty much the benchmark against all other top contenders are measured against.

andrewsean7830

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
The iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus will be the company's first smartphones to come with near field communication (NFC) - a technology that lets phones talk to each other via a short range radio.
This means you can exchange data and make payments by simply tapping your iPhone against another compatible device.
Still, there are a lot of things you can do with Android phones that you still can't do with the iPhone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc