Bought an iPhone 6. Returning it today.

scgf

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Yesterday I bought an iPhone 6. Had high hopes.Completely dashed.

I used to be firmly in the Apple camp, then moved to Windows Phone, followed by Android (Nexus 5). Hvae been hankering for a new phone so took the plunge and bought an iPhone 6. To cut a long story short I had no idea how much better Android is compared to iOS. iOs is all over the place - no back button so you are at the mercy of app developers - sometimes there's a back button top left, other times it's somewhere else, and often it's not apparent at all and you need to press something else. Settings are usually not in the app, but in the iOS global settings menu. The interface is like something Fischer Price designed - app icons and more app icons. Folders on Android look much better. The notifications panel is a complete mess - my phone was beeping at me and I had no idea which app needed my attention. I also couldn't believe how poor the screen is - the majority of apps aren't even optimised for the new screen and those that are look pretty rough. I needed to enable zoom to read the text in some apps - but zoom gives the same real estate as the iPhone 5 but bigger so felt short-changed using that mode.

The only area the iPhone 6 was better was audio from the built-in speaker. It's much nicer than my Nexus. The few pictures I took alongside my Nexus 5 looked pretty much identical.

I was expecting so much more! I felt I had stepped back a couple of years.

I am happy to use different OSs and am definitely not a fanboy of any platform, but stock Android is just superb compared to iOS. I can't wait for Android L. I use my phone throughout the day for all sorts of things and iOS is clearly just not as productive.

Thank goodness for Apple's easy return policy!

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday I bought an iPhone 6. Had high hopes.Completely dashed.

I used to be firmly in the Apple camp, then moved to Windows Phone, followed by Android (Nexus 5). Hvae been hankering for a new phone so took the plunge and bought an iPhone 6. To cut a long story short I had no idea how much better Android is compared to iOS. iOs is all over the place - no back button so you are at the mercy of app developers - sometimes there's a back button top left, other times it's somewhere else, and often it's not apparent at all and you need to press something else. Settings are usually not in the app, but in the iOS global settings menu. The interface is like something Fischer Price designed - app icons and more app icons. Folders on Android look much better. The notifications panel is a complete mess - my phone was beeping at me and I had no idea which app needed my attention. I also couldn't believe how poor the screen is - the majority of apps aren't even optimised for the new screen and those that are look pretty rough. I needed to enable zoom to read the text in some apps - but zoom gives the same real estate as the iPhone 5 but bigger so felt short-changed using that mode.

The only area the iPhone 6 was better was audio from the built-in speaker. It's much nicer than my Nexus. The few pictures I took alongside my Nexus 5 looked pretty much identical.

I was expecting so much more! I felt I had stepped back a couple of years.

I am happy to use different OSs and am definitely not a fanboy of any platform, but stock Android is just superb compared to iOS. I can't wait for Android L. I use my phone throughout the day for all sorts of things and iOS is clearly just not as productive.

Thank goodness for Apple's easy return policy!

Interesting to hear that, and it's good that you're so content with Android :D

I personally find the back button situation as difficult on both. Sure, it's up to developers on iOS. But that same goes for android. Some apps, pressing the back button sometimes exits out of the app fully, and sometimes it will work as you expect. It varied a lot, and that annoyed me. When it has been developed right, it works well. As does the back gesture or button on iOS. I reckon it will take me a while to adjust to an iPhone though!

I don't think you mean that the screen is poor. Content is poorly optimised for it, but the screen is one of the best on a phone, even at a relatively low PPI density. It's as sharp as I'd ever need, and it is one of the most accurate displays out there. Once devs have caught up, it should be a treat to use.

Personally, the audio on the iPhone won't be that exciting to me as I'm coming from an HTC One. I have heard though, that even with a bottom-firing speaker, the quality is pretty much on par with the One. The camera I'm surprised about. Nexus devices aren't known for their great cameras, which is the complete opposite of the iPhone. I'm sure that over time you'd notice a difference, or maybe you're lucky and simply not as fussy as some of us :D

Productivity wise, I'd have to disagree too. The iWork Suite is better than anything I've seen on Android, and certainly allows for some productivity. There are so many other apps for iOS which allow for a great experience. Also, iOS 8 is finally allowing some 3rd party sharing options...about time! But that's the thing - iOS is all about its ecosystem. Like you said, the UI is boring. And, for me, that doesn't matter. That's not why I'm buying a phone.

Personally, once most apps have been updated, I feel that the iPhone will be a great choice for me. I definitely prefer Android in many regards though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Well, that's what makes the world go round *smile*. Glad to hear that you're happy with Android. There are a LOT of Android phones that have been sold, and a lot of people that are happy with Android. There are a lot of people happy with the iPhone 6 as well.

I wouldn't try to refute what you're saying, since that was your experience.

Enjoy!

colyn1353

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm an iPhone user till the end of the month when my contract expires and I can't wait to be back to Android..
When I upgraded my 5S to IOS 8 it was a mess. Most apps quit working or didn't work properly. When 8.0.1 came out..................total mess.. 8.0.2 fixed most issues but I had to do a hard reset 2 times to get the phone back in working condition..
I've had to re-do the finger print 6 times since upgrading because it can't remember it. It'll forget in a day or 2 from now. Some apps are still lagging and some crash without reason..
A neighbor who bought the iPhone 6 had the same issues so he took it back and traded it for the HTC and is now happy.
There are those who are diehard Apple freaks and they look past the issues but as someone who wants his phone to work I'm going to the Samsung Galaxy S5..

scgf

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I don't think you mean that the screen is poor. Content is poorly optimised for it, but the screen is one of the best on a phone, even at a relatively low PPI density. It's as sharp as I'd ever need, and it is one of the most accurate displays out there. Once devs have caught up, it should be a treat to use.
Oh I do. As soon as I switched it on I noticed a slight uniformity of lighting across the screen - not enough for me to have bought a faulty unit, but enough for me to notice anf feel that it didn't bode well. Once set up I was very conscious of non-optimised apps so didn't include these when assessing the screen. I compared the iPhone with my old Nokia Lumia 920 which also has a 720p screen. In all cases where I could directly compare, the Lumia 920 rendering looked better than the iPhone. Markedly.

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Oh I do. As soon as I switched it on I noticed a slight uniformity of lighting across the screen - not enough for me to have bought a faulty unit, but enough for me to notice anf feel that it didn't bode well. Once set up I was very conscious of non-optimised apps so didn't include these when assessing the screen. I compared the iPhone with my old Nokia Lumia 920 which also has a 720p screen. In all cases where I could directly compare, the Lumia 920 rendering looked better than the iPhone. Markedly.

That's interesting. You must have sharp vision :D Most people wouldn't consciously notice though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scgf

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I took at look at the iPhone 6 Plus - that beast has a lovely screen, but the phone is HUGE and much bigger than it need be, given that Apple loves its bezels!

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I took at look at the iPhone 6 Plus - that beast has a lovely screen, but the phone is HUGE and much bigger than it need be, given that Apple loves its bezels!

I thought the Plus to be big in pics but when I saw and held one? Was rather comfortable. Coming from a Nexus r and going to a +

Posted via the Android Central App

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I actually like both iOS and android. iOS for its elegant simplicity and app superiority and Android for its variety, customability, and power. I plan to just have both platforms. Right now I have this Note 3, an S5, and an iPhone 4s. ...I'll upgrade the iPhone when disposable resources permit (having 3 lines isn't exactly frugal). As an enthusiast, both platforms have so much to offer why limit oneself? A 6+ would make a nice addition indeed.

Nerf72

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I actually like both iOS and android. iOS for its elegant simplicity and app superiority and Android for its variety, customability, and power. I plan to just have both platforms. Right now I have this Note 3, an S5, and an iPhone 4s. ...I'll upgrade the iPhone when disposable resources permit (having 3 lines isn't exactly frugal). As an enthusiast, both platforms have so much to offer why limit oneself? A 6+ would make a nice addition indeed.
I have to say that I don't get the argument for IOS being either elegant or simple. Visually it is IMHO horrific. Awful colours, fonts, shading etc. Operations wise, hacking at the screen trying to get back, or to a sub menu or option doesn't do it for me either.

And app superiority baffles me as well, but I'll admit I don't use many apps.

Side by side, using the core apps of the OS, I find Android (KitKat specifically) more appealing, usable and professional than IOS.

I'd be genuinely interested in an example of where IOS is better in its respective app than Android

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I have to say that I don't get the argument for IOS being either elegant or simple. Visually it is IMHO horrific. Awful colours, fonts, shading etc. Operations wise, hacking at the screen trying to get back, or to a sub menu or option doesn't do it for me either.

Side by side, using the core apps of the OS, I find Android (KitKat specifically) more appealing, usable and professional than IOS.

I'd be genuinely interested in an example of where IOS is better in its respective app than Android

Suntrust, AT&T Digital Life, Monopoly to name a few.

Nerf72

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
SunTrust I can't even find lol. At&t is proprietary. Monopoly does seem to have a bit of an issue according To the comments lol. Got any examples of apps which are available/free? I'll look at them :)

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
SunTrust I can't even find lol. At&t is proprietary. Monopoly does seem to have a bit of an issue according To the comments lol. Got any examples of apps which are available/free? I'll look at them :)

Well for example, Flipboard updates come out on iOS first, one time I got the update a whole month after my iPad got it! Plus they didn't fix laggy performance in Flipboard for quite sometime one. Many developers I've discovered, don't follow Holo and I doubt they will follow material design as well.

I love the look of iOS and all the apps plus I've spent over 400 in the App Store on just high quality apps and games that Android just kinda lacks. Plus iOS has handoffs and continuity and that's amazing for between my rMBP and my soon to be 6 or 6+.

Must I justify my purchase to you? Apologies if I have misunderstood you.

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site

One thing that I noticed a while ago, having both an iPad and an Android device, is that sometimes Google Apps are better or have more features on iOS.

Take hangouts for example. Been able to make phone calls over WiFi on the iPad for many months now. The Android version of hangouts just recently added this with the merging of Google voice.
There is also the ability to add stickers in the iOS version, something still not available on Android. Small matters to most, but why would one of Googles own apps be more feature packed on iOS than Android?

Posted from my Beanstalk'd G2

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
One thing that I noticed a while ago, having both an iPad and an Android device, is that sometimes Google Apps are better or have more features on iOS.

Take hangouts for example. Been able to make phone calls over WiFi on the iPad for many months now. The Android version of hangouts just recently added this with the merging of Google voice.
There is also the ability to add stickers in the iOS version, something still not available on Android. Small matters to most, but why would one of Googles own apps be more feature packed on iOS than Android?

Posted from my Beanstalk'd G2

But that's not the only example. For example Clash of Clans came out for Android a year after iOS.

Nerf72

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
. I'm here to discuss and learn. I'm open minded. I've owed iOS and apple.

Now, I Love the new material design of android. Its fantastic. Regarding os/PC handshakes, I use google so platform is meaningless Google drive just works.

For quality of apps, the ones I use on my M7 are fab.

You have misunderstood me. I'll happily call an iOS app superior over android. I'm looking for a (reasonable) exsmple

Last edited:

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
First off, let's **** off the you vs me android vs Apple bull. I'm here to discuss and learn. I'm open minded. I've owed iOS and apple.

Now, I Love the new material design of android. Its fantastic. Regarding os/PC handshakes, I use google so platform is meaningless Google drive just works.

For quality of apps, the ones I use on my M7 are fab.

You have misunderstood me. I'll happily call an iOS app superior over android. I'm looking for a (reasonable) exsmple

Why so aggresive? You have a bad day? It's Friday, be happy.

Sent from my LG G-PaD📱