what's the technical answer to iOS shortcomings?

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Figured that title would get attention ... My question is I've always complained about how iOS handles files, attachments, and just simple things like being able to unzip, move files, attach files, etc ... I still can't figure out how to download a doc then attach it to an email thread without creating an entirely new email thread inside the native iOS mail app (which I use since my company has iPhone for work devices - I have all android devices for personal use).

So what's the technical reason why? There has to be some limitation within iOS? Is there some fundamental problem that needs a rewrite or massive overhaul that apple is avoiding or is it all just they want to keep features that are commonplace on other devices for whatever reason be it to perfect them or just to release a new OS every year with little enhancements and then brand them with fancy i-logo slang to gain more market share.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
My question is I've always complained about how iOS handles files, attachments, and just simple things like being able to unzip, move files, attach files, etc ... I still can't figure out how to download a doc then attach it to an email thread without creating an entirely new email thread inside the native iOS mail app (which I use since my company has iPhone for work devices - I have all android devices for personal use).
There's no other email app you can install? (I don't know - if someone gave me an iPhone for free, I'd sell it without opening the box.)

So what's the technical reason why?
None at all. iOS is a *nix derivative, the same as Android, so the same app that can be written for Android can be ported to iOS.

Is there some fundamental problem that needs a rewrite or massive overhaul
ASIDE from the remains of Steve Jobs' ego?

or is it all just they want to keep features that are commonplace on other devices for whatever reason be it to perfect them or just to release a new OS every year with little enhancements and then brand them with fancy i-logo slang to gain more market share.
Well, that, and everything has to be proprietary. You want to iMessage your friends? You have to buy their hardware.

iOS is no more difficult to write code for (and, although I've never looked, based on past operating systems that Apple had, probably has no fewer or worse APIs than other operating systems), it's just the philosophy that "this is the phone we give you, it has everything [if you tie yourself up in knots learning to do it our way], so you don't have to make any decisions". Some people actually prefer being told what to do all their lives. Others grow up. I have no problem trying 8 different launchers and 5 different email apps until I find the ones I prefer. I'm still looking for my ideal email app after years. (I keep saying it, but maybe one day I'll learn enough about the Android environment to write my own. An email app is pretty trivial - the Android environment is a foreign place to me.) I don't drink BudMillCoors either.

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Agree ... I don't like iOS or MacOS because of the heavy "modding" to do it "our way" rather than being able to easily make it my way.

I just can't believe that so many simple and logical functions are so difficult or impossible on iOS. I got asked by a friend the other day "do you know how to find downloaded files" and so I tried to help them and googled but after 30min I just gave up and showed them all I do on android is go to downloads and bam. I think I have another convert, but it got me thinking again that after all this time, really...is it still just ego and manipulation that prevents this type of simple functionality.

Guess it still is ...

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos