MAJOR Changes

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Could iOS 5 only be coming this fall? | TiPb

Well according to TiBP Apple is supposed to bring MAJOR changes to iOS in iOS 5 or 6. I think that this may be true. Apple know that Android is becoming a HUGE competitor and they want to change iOS to where Android users would want to switch. I don't know what kind of changes, maybe like home screen customizations. What do you think??

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I have both - Droid X and iPhone4. Going from the Android system to the iOS platform was a jolt -- to get the flexibility native to the android system, you have to jailbreak iOS and download a ton of specialized apps (some of them in the $10 category!!) After a lot of work, time and money, my iPh4 is somewhat akin to the Droid X.

However, the major items I MISS with the iPh4:
-- a Back button
-- Google navigation on Maps (verbal)
-- few limits on customization
-- widgets, especially clocks and weather
-- the app tray
-- The fantastic abilities in Launcher Pro Plus
and on and on.

Advantages if iOS:
-- very good screen clarity, esp given it's only 3.5 in. or so
-- the multi-task hidden dock
-- apps that offer more goodies than the same one for Android (ex: wireless sync of data)
-- decent battery life, even with heavy use

Last July, there were only a few Android devices. Now, there are more than a hundred, with more each day it seems. IMO, choosing one for a two-year commitment has become extremely difficult. This is made even more problematic because many of the newer devices are running older versions of the operating system. It's getting to be a jungle of blurry choices, which makes the relative peace of the iPh's one quality device running the top iOS an appealing oasis in a frenzy world.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I was keeping an eye on the wwdc at the ios5 updates, i find it funny that apple is now copying android with the pull down notification system.

LowFire

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
AND copying RIM with their new messaging

Way to be innovative as always Apple, but the Apple sheep will eat it up and some how figure it to be better than the competition that has been doing it for years :-X

Prof-KOS

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Well, it's nice to have competition. And the sincerest form of flattery is imitation.

Pull-down notifications window ---check
Wireless sync ---check
Tabbed browsing ---check
Cloud sync ---check
Widgets ---half check (stocks and weather in the pull-down window is a bit of a cop-out)

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Maybe you guys need to look into it a bit more, but iCloud does some simply amazing stuff.

Like, seriously; Google is supposed to be the cloud-connected company, but Apple is totally killing them right now. Basically anything you do on the phone is synced across all of your devices, into the cloud, and then onto your Mac or PC.

KQCrackberry

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Apple COMPLETELY stole Google's notification bar technology from the message animation to the swipe-down menu, and stole blackberry's BBM technology with the read receipt and type notification, and seeing as Apple has been suing Google, Samsung, and other developers for intellectual property theft and copyright infringement, I don't see it being long until Apple gets exactly what they deserve. Granted I'm a Mac user and I know how snotty other Apple fanatics are, but this is officially out of hand and something needs to be done. If I may say so myself, f___ you Apple, and f___ you iPhone owners who think your product is revolutionary. Sure, you revolutionized the phone four and a half years ago, but times have changed and now you've resorted to stealing.

Apple - iOS 5 - See the top new features in action.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
You think apple wouldn't have researched this before bringing it to market? I don't see a patent for this that's been granted to Google, so they would have a mighty hard time suing apple. I think they'll try, but like apple, they're going to have an uphill battle.

That being said, there's only so many ways to do notifications. The webos kind is already patented, so they couldn't do that. That pretty much leaves only the android type.

We should all be flattered apple has a similar notification system. I used to be all about ios on my phone, but there's nothing I want in ios5. Underneath the new features, its the same old ios.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
iCloud won't let you stream - big big fail. And you have to pay 25 a year to sync your non-itunes music which is another fail. Oh and their cool IOS 5 'features' have been out years ago in other platforms. Yawn!!

boobie1292

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I think these changes are great actually. Why because they fixed the places they were lacking. IMO there wasn't much to change but the things they did change so I applaud them. Plus this is always better for competition to come out with something better