I think I can speak for most of this here. I am posting this in the Apple thread because they are the ones who started most, if not all, of these trends. FU Apple, I will never give you any of my money.

Now, I know you are all aware of several satanic trends in phone design. I will list them here.
    -Nonremoveable battery
    -No SD slot
    -Glass backs
    -Deliberate excessive battery wear
    -No headphone jack
    -Bloatware
    -Planned obselesense
    -Blocking root access
    -Rediculously overpriced hardware
    I will explain why each one of these is satanic.

Removeable batteries are a neccessary feature. Here are some scenarios where it will be useful:
    -If you are not going to have access to an outlet for a while and need to use (or at least have) your phone, bring multiple batteries and replace them when one dies.
    -If you are caught unprepared with a dead battery, put in a new one to get through your day.
    -If your battery is overheating and smoking, you can quickly pull it out and lose just your battery, not your whole phone.
    -In case of a large-scale battery issue, send all your customers a new battery and be done with it. I'm talking to you, Samsung.
    Now, I know you've heard claims in support of nonremoveable batteries. Let me address them.
    -I've heard that you can make the battery into odd shapes by doing this to increase the total volume. Too bad that the amount of space you get from this is negligible and cannot even be used because battery cells must be regularly shaped. Add that to the fact that they will probably still be easily removeable and you have yourself a false claim.
    -I've heard that you can make it fit very tightly by making it non-removeable. By doing that, you have yourself an explosive phone that you will have to recall.
    -Capacity doesn't magically increase either. The S6 and Note 5 both have nonremoveable batteries, and they are smaller than their precursors' removeable batteries.
    -I've heard that you can improve water resistance by doing this. If a water resistant phone with a removeable battery can't be done, why did the Galaxy S5 manage to do it? How come dumb watches can do it? How come practically every radio-controlled model boat in existence can do it? This has already been proven false.

SD card slots are necessary to provide a quick and reliable means to transfer information between devices, but even more importantly, to back up your files. Your nice 128 GB flash storage won't do you any good if it fails or your phone gets bricked. Cloud services exist so companies and the CIA can steal your data and money, and you can't always connect to them. If you can't connect to a cloud service, pop in an SD card and be done with it.

Glass backs are slippery, fragile, and ugly. Do you need any more explanation?

Deliberate excessive battery wear is an obvious planned-obselescense attempt.

The lack of a headphone jack breaks compatability with everything. It also allows companies to put proprietary authentication mechanisms so you can only use SamDung headphones on a SamDung phone, crApple headphones on a crApple phone, etc. If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Bloatware is evil because you paid for some amount of storage, and software you don't want to use is a waste of that storage. Not being able to remove it increases clutter and decreases performance and usable storage.

Planned obselescense is an obvious scheme to try to sell you more phones. Phones should perform as good as possible for as long as possible. I know the silicon will eventually degrade and that screens, LEDs, batteries, etc. only have a finite lifespan, but sabotaging components and putting timed slowdowns (crApple) is evil.

Blocking root access is evil because it prevents us from using our hardware to it's full potential. It also makes it impossible to remove all their spyware and other evil from the software.

End-user cost should be based on manufacturing cost. I do know that the companies need money, but I don't want to pay more for something just because it is newer or made by SamDung. And, no, they do not cost $600 to make.

TLDR: Read it even though it is long
    01-30-2017 07:11 PM
    Since we're being hyperbolic, I'm going to stay with the theme.

Removable batteries are a horribad feature and deserve to die in a fire.
    SD cards are a horribad feature and in Android their primary use is to prop up really bad budget devices in developing market where actual storage is inaccessible.

Agree glass backs need to go. And bloatware, depending on how you define it.

I've never had a phone with Satan in it, but I have had phones that don't provide monthly security updates. That's worse.
    01-31-2017 11:41 AM
    What's wrong with removeable batteries?

SD cards are required because cloud companies cannot be trusted.
    03-20-2017 01:19 AM
    I think I can speak for most of this here. I am posting this in the Apple thread because they are the ones who started most, if not all, of these trends. FU Apple, I will never give you any of my money.

Now, I know you are all aware of several satanic trends in phone design. I will list them here.
    -Nonremoveable battery
    -No SD slot
    -Glass backs
    -Deliberate excessive battery wear
    -No headphone jack
    -Bloatware
    -Planned obselesense
    -Blocking root access
    -Rediculously overpriced hardware
    I will explain why each one of these is satanic.

Removeable batteries are a neccessary feature. Here are some scenarios where it will be useful:
    -If you are not going to have access to an outlet for a while and need to use (or at least have) your phone, bring multiple batteries and replace them when one dies.
    -If you are caught unprepared with a dead battery, put in a new one to get through your day.
    -If your battery is overheating and smoking, you can quickly pull it out and lose just your battery, not your whole phone.
    -In case of a large-scale battery issue, send all your customers a new battery and be done with it. I'm talking to you, Samsung.
    Now, I know you've heard claims in support of nonremoveable batteries. Let me address them.
    -I've heard that you can make the battery into odd shapes by doing this to increase the total volume. Too bad that the amount of space you get from this is negligible and cannot even be used because battery cells must be regularly shaped. Add that to the fact that they will probably still be easily removeable and you have yourself a false claim.
    -I've heard that you can make it fit very tightly by making it non-removeable. By doing that, you have yourself an explosive phone that you will have to recall.
    -Capacity doesn't magically increase either. The S6 and Note 5 both have nonremoveable batteries, and they are smaller than their precursors' removeable batteries.
    -I've heard that you can improve water resistance by doing this. If a water resistant phone with a removeable battery can't be done, why did the Galaxy S5 manage to do it? How come dumb watches can do it? How come practically every radio-controlled model boat in existence can do it? This has already been proven false.

SD card slots are necessary to provide a quick and reliable means to transfer information between devices, but even more importantly, to back up your files. Your nice 128 GB flash storage won't do you any good if it fails or your phone gets bricked. Cloud services exist so companies and the CIA can steal your data and money, and you can't always connect to them. If you can't connect to a cloud service, pop in an SD card and be done with it.

Glass backs are slippery, fragile, and ugly. Do you need any more explanation?

Deliberate excessive battery wear is an obvious planned-obselescense attempt.

The lack of a headphone jack breaks compatability with everything. It also allows companies to put proprietary authentication mechanisms so you can only use SamDung headphones on a SamDung phone, crApple headphones on a crApple phone, etc. If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Bloatware is evil because you paid for some amount of storage, and software you don't want to use is a waste of that storage. Not being able to remove it increases clutter and decreases performance and usable storage.

Planned obselescense is an obvious scheme to try to sell you more phones. Phones should perform as good as possible for as long as possible. I know the silicon will eventually degrade and that screens, LEDs, batteries, etc. only have a finite lifespan, but sabotaging components and putting timed slowdowns (crApple) is evil.

Blocking root access is evil because it prevents us from using our hardware to it's full potential. It also makes it impossible to remove all their spyware and other evil from the software.

End-user cost should be based on manufacturing cost. I do know that the companies need money, but I don't want to pay more for something just because it is newer or made by SamDung. And, no, they do not cost $600 to make.

TLDR: Read it even though it is long
    I agree with you on everything. The lack of removable battery is driving me crazy on my phone that is nearly 3 years old. The battery is far from being as good as new and will probably crap out some time next year. As for storage, the 16 GB of internal storage is simply not enough and I cannot have my library of HD movies on it... An SD card would enable me to have my phone synced with the content from my tablet every day...

It should be illegal to make phones with planned death dates. 3G barely works on my phone and I don't wanna even mention how crappy/useless the 2g data has become. The more I use it, the worse the connection is.

When will we have LONG-LASTING phones for once???
    12-22-2017 12:42 PM
    I agree with you on everything. The lack of removable battery is driving me crazy on my phone that is nearly 3 years old. The battery is far from being as good as new and will probably crap out some time next year. As for storage, the 16 GB of internal storage is simply not enough and I cannot have my library of HD movies on it... An SD card would enable me to have my phone synced with the content from my tablet every day...

It should be illegal to make phones with planned death dates. 3G barely works on my phone and I don't wanna even mention how crappy/useless the 2g data has become. The more I use it, the worse the connection is.

When will we have LONG-LASTING phones for once???
    Stop buying phones that don't meet your needs? Phones with 128 and 256 GB of storage are available, as are ones with SD cards for those that need it. The best phones are updated for 3 years, so no worries about planned obsolescence.
    12-22-2017 01:03 PM
    Ok I'll play devils advocate.

1. On removable batteries I honestly couldn't care less. My oldest device with a non removable battery is 7 years old and it's battery still lasts 2 days. It's slowing down though so it does need a new one, but it's lasted this long too making non removable batteries a non issue for me. The S5 however has a screw mechanism to allow water resistance to the battery compartment, and regular opening of it will wear out the seals faster. Basically a sealed phone will retain ingress resistance longer than nonsealed phones. The battery capacity does not increase with sealing the phone. It increases on a size ratio scaling. A phone with a removable battery the same size as a sealed one will be bigger because of the increased brackets in the construction for holding the battery door closed and secure and not allowing the battery to move around. The sealing actually allows the slimmer bezels and thinner devices. Case in point, the Note 2 vs the S7 Edge. Both have the same screen size, but the S7 Edge packs a bigger battery in a form that's smaller in every direction

2. I think Google is the only major manufacturer that has no SD card anyway. Not a problem really.

3. Glass backs also allow wireless charging. Putting a metal backed phone on wireless charging would turn its insides into a microwave oven. One could argue that one can use plastic, but I guess Samsung caved in after 5-6 years of everybody bashing it's use of plastic. In a way, tech sites and reviewers are to blame for the prevalence of glass backs, not manufacturers.

4. All Samsung phones still have headphone jacks, so not sure why they get special mention. If anyone, apart from Apple, should get mentioned, it's Moto and Google. Samsung also recently bought Harman (which owns AKG and JBL), so I'd think they'd stick with jacks for the foreseeable future. LG's main selling point as well is going for the audio market with good DACs, so they'll probably keep jacks too.

5. Bloatware is subjective. However I understand that this differs from market to market. For example certain bloatware only appear on specific carriers, making it a carrier issue, not a manufacturer issue. However fact still is that bloatware to some is essential to others. For example one of the reasons for Samsung phones to use up more memory is frameworks for their services like Sidesync. And to me Sidesync is essential and no third party alternative exists to mimic it. None of the alternatives is able to mirror a locked phone with a broken screen in this day and age of manufacturers removing MHL out. Sidesync can, and use the mirror to unlock. If anything, the disappearance of MHL out in several devices is the bigger travestry.

6. Planned obsolescence is in Android so far, seems a theory. I have several older devices that I feel are still not degraded in terms of capabilities. Replacing the battery is a fix. On Apple, it has been shown that the system detects if a new battery has been installed and removes throttling.

7. Blocking root access is a necessary evil for some manufacturers because of warranties. However in some cases its also a case of carrier issues, not manufacturers. A lot of devices with blocked root access are carrier specific models. This stems from deals between the carrier and manufacturer wherein the carrier might refuse to sell for the manufacturer if the phone is not root blocked, because rooting allows you to bypass things like paying for hotspot access.

8. The problen with overhead cost is that people only seem to think they should pay only close to the manufacturing cost and the software cost for making the phone. However you seem to forget that the phone also has to pay for future costs of software development for updates since the engineers working on those aren't working for free. So the total cost of the phone is materials+construction+software development+software updates for the next 18-30mo+profit. In Samsung's case it's more expensive because they have more software tricks to maintain (Samsung Store, Additional Samsung features beyond what is offered by Google, their own launcher, etc, Samsung Cloud services), so their software teams are bigger and probably paid more than in competing brands. Also, since Samsung has a big market in China, it can't abandon these services in favor of Google's because Google isn't allowed in China, but they are. So the cost of the phone would cover payment for the development and maintenance for those services as well because even if you don't use them, they are part of the phone's system. This contrasts with say, OnePlus, whose software does not contain all the bells and whistles Samsung has, so developing it costs less on the software side, so less expenses.
    12-22-2017 01:54 PM
    Can't speak for me though.
    12-22-2017 07:56 PM
    And what do you do if your phone met your storage needs 3 years ago but not anymore (due to torrenting, for example)?? Companies like Alcatel and others want you to get a new phone at that point instead of letting you pluck a spare sd card from you collection and immediately get space for torrent downloads and more bulky apps.
    12-25-2017 12:10 PM