11-03-2017 09:05 PM
50 12
tools
    Bluish tint on a google phone tilted at an angle and the internet goes crazy and everyone loses their minds, bluish tint on an iPhone tilted at an angle "it's not a deal breaker because it's imperceptible", Jesus Apple fans and critics are the epitome of hypocrites
    nelamvr6, ctk4949 and DMP89145 like this.
    11-01-2017 04:24 PM
    Blue shift is the least of the pixel 2 xl's plroblems
    Premium1 likes this.
    11-01-2017 04:33 PM
    Bluish tint on a google phone tilted at an angle and the internet goes crazy and everyone loses their minds, bluish tint on an iPhone tilted at an angle "it's not a deal breaker because it's imperceptible", Jesus Apple fans and critics are the epitome of hypocrites
    Or the severity of tint is different, there is a spectrum between perfect and bad. The smaller Pixel 2 (for the phones I looked at) had a small amount of blue tint, but it was what I would consider insignificant....and the 2 XL next to it had enough blue tint that I decided I couldn't live with it. There was a significant difference between the two regarding off axis color shift. Bought a Pixel 2 and it should show up in the mail today or tomorrow.
    Premium1 likes this.
    11-01-2017 04:57 PM
    By rotating the Pixel 2xl through 90 degrees on it longitudinal axis you stop seeing Blue shift........ forum posts all the time. Cushtie!!
    11-01-2017 05:36 PM
    I've just seen the Pixel 2 XL in person for the first time and, seriously, that's what people are up in arms about? It's nothing! It can barely be seen at all and you have to hold the phone the way no one holds a phone... I was amazed at how much nothing can become a SOMETHING-gate...
    11-01-2017 06:20 PM
    I disagree. It depends on the individuals visual acuity. Everyone sees the world differently based on their vision. For instance, some people lack depth perception. I bet everyone seeing more blue might have vision impairments like being near or farsighted. There could be people who have stigmatisms who swear there is more of a blue hue. These panels are produced by robotic machines, not humans. They are all manufactured the same way. Visit a plant in Korea and you will see how the process works.

People who see less of a blue hue may or may not be able to pass a color vision test. Who knows, but I'm willing to bet my assertion is more accurate. It's not the panels, it's the people looking at the panels.

Case in point, in my 17 years of having to take a color vision test every year for work, I missed one of the test items at the age of 38. Never missed one before.
    or...

Some are worse than others. Here are 2 together ..

Premium1 likes this.
    11-01-2017 07:29 PM
    You said in your first post in this thread that the amount of color shift differential from unit to unit, so not every device is as bad as the other. Perhaps the same thing happens with the X. With so few of them out, it's hard to say right now with any certainty, so to say they don't have the issue is a bit premature.

I don't think saying, "see they have the problem too" is any worse than saying "brand (x) doesn't have this issue". If you can contrast, shouldn't others be able to compare?
    Fair enough.

We have lots of reports of different 2 XL variance though, and none for the X, but I guess it is possible, sure.
    11-01-2017 07:42 PM
    You realize phones coming from the factory are sealed with glue and give off a hue until it dries right?
    LOL.. So the blue is glue now, cool :-). Fun stuff
    11-01-2017 08:20 PM
    After using the regular pixel 2 for a week I was in BB today and checked out the Google display and the XL definitely had a strong blue at minimum angles , this is the 4th Display I have seen , the screen look fine the phone was nice I just noticed the blue, stronger than any other phone I've used or seen, I turned off the display mode to see if there was light retention or burning and I did not notice that
    11-01-2017 08:33 PM
    You posted a video of two phones out of the millions sold. Some hypocrisy there?
    Except there have been tons of reports of people seeing significant blue shift so it's not just a couple phones. Google needs to get display models fixed if they are supposedly defective.
    11-01-2017 11:29 PM
    Fair enough.

We have lots of reports of different 2 XL variance though, and none for the X, but I guess it is possible, sure.
    The X doesn't release until Friday. Also why would reports come to an android forum for an iPhone? :P.

Seriously I get you want to say let's not accuse stuff or say "LOOK AT THEM!" before hand but you're saying this ...

"This released phone has reports but this unreleased one doesn't."

Really? If you're going to be fair then be fair .. otherwise just chill.. because it seems a tad ridiculous to defend an unreleased phone about "no claims" since .. you know .. people don't have it yet .

Either way I don't care. Just don't pretend to be fair but yet... not. At least at the time of this post.
    dsignori likes this.
    11-02-2017 12:12 AM
    This video shows the difference between the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL pretty well:
    11-02-2017 12:21 AM
    or...

Am I missing something here? I thought the 2 XL had rounded corners. Both of these have square corners and appear to have more bezel than the 2 XL. This looks more like a pair of last year's XLs or this year's Pixel 2s.
    11-02-2017 03:02 AM
    Fair enough.

Echoing what Almeuit said, the Pixels have been in customer's hands now for a couple weeks, whereas the X isn't released to the general public yet. And most of this whole debacle started after it got into the end users hands, not the reviewers. So why not wait and see what actually happens when the Xs get out into the wild before saying their color shift problems aren't an issue. I know some will say that with Apple's RDF, the fanboys won't say anything bad about it even if it has similar issues. But with the phone commanding $1000+, I have to believe that no one's going to be silent if they experience the issue.
    11-02-2017 03:10 AM
    This video shows the difference between the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL pretty well:
    See this is what I meant when I said that the previous video showing color shift on two 2 XLs didn't look like 2 XLs but rather either two XLs from last year or two regular Pixel 2s. Note the rounded corners on the display of the 2 XL screen. The video that dsignori posted don't have that.
    11-02-2017 03:13 AM
    Am I missing something here? I thought the 2 XL had rounded corners. Both of these have square corners and appear to have more bezel than the 2 XL. This looks more like a pair of last year's XLs or this year's Pixel 2s.
    Chrome isn't rounded. the video zooms to the rounded corners of the phone in the beginning.
    11-02-2017 08:01 AM
    The X doesn't release until Friday. Also why would reports come to an android forum for an iPhone? :P.

Seriously I get you want to say let's not accuse stuff or say "LOOK AT THEM!" before hand but you're saying this ...

"This released phone has reports but this unreleased one doesn't."

Really? If you're going to be fair then be fair .. otherwise just chill.. because it seems a tad ridiculous to defend an unreleased phone about "no claims" since .. you know .. people don't have it yet .

Either way I don't care. Just don't pretend to be fair but yet... not. At least at the time of this post.
    I get it. I don't care either honestly. I'll probably just get some popcorn too and enjoy the show.
    11-02-2017 08:06 AM
    See this is what I meant when I said that the previous video showing color shift on two 2 XLs didn't look like 2 XLs but rather either two XLs from last year or two regular Pixel 2s. Note the rounded corners on the display of the 2 XL screen. The video that dsignori posted don't have that.
    The video you are referring to is definitely two Pixel 2 XL phones, the owner has cases on them but you can see the speaker placement etc
    11-02-2017 08:08 AM
    I don't think anyone in here is really "defending" the iPhone, but saying that recent Samsung displays don't tend to have this problem to a severe degree (small Pixel 2 for example) and apparently even some 2 XLs aren't too bad.....so I am willing to bet that the $1k iPhone with huge focus on the new special Samsung display is not going to have a severe problem with blue shift.
    11-02-2017 08:14 AM
    or...

Let's run through the checklist to make sure we're running a valid test...

Are they showing the same media? YES
    Are they are under the same lighting? YES
    Are they being compared directly side-by-side? YES
    Is the setting for 'vivid mode' set to the same on both? CANNOT CONFIRM
    Is the setting for 'adaptive brightness' set to 'off' on both? CANNOT CONFIRM
    Is the setting for 'brightness level' set to the same on both? CANNOT CONFIRM
    Are they running identical versions of the OS? NO (one is 8.0, other is 8.1 DP per poster's comments)

If there is a single one of the above questions that does not receive a 'YES,' then the results are suspect. Any one of them may have an impact on the color shift. If the answers actually are yes, then I agree there is a notable variance between the two (and, actually, one appears to be running warmer/cooler temperature than the other even head-on), but with not just one but 3 of those variables unknown, along with the tacit admission of a known variable (the impact of which, if any, cannot be known), the comparison lacks meaning.

The screen's corners are rounded, but in the black notification bar at the top and backdrop to the soft buttons at the bottom are framing the webpage's display, masking the actual 'corners.'
    11-02-2017 09:08 AM
    Yea the blue shift on the iPhone X, DID give me a nice chuckle! lol
    11-02-2017 10:12 AM
    Moved to correct forum.
    pkcable likes this.
    11-02-2017 11:20 AM
    Isn't color shift inherent to OLED and some IPS LCDs?

My Note8 shifts green at a very extreme angle, and that is usually considered normal. If it shifts really easily, then there's a problem.
    pkcable and Premium1 like this.
    11-02-2017 01:50 PM
    For all the Apple fans who have been gracious enough to come in and advise us that we should never accept or even consider buying a phone at a price as high as $849 having a screen that tints blue at an angle....

Forbes review of iPhone X: "I have to say, though, the color changes notably when you angle the phone away from you. A bluish tinge is strongly evident. "
    That is what you get with an amoled screen. With that being said, blue tint was the least of the XL2 worries lol
    11-03-2017 06:15 AM
    Seems like Apple is preparing their customers for burn in as well looks like.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/11/03/iphon...olor-shifting/
    11-03-2017 09:05 PM
50 12