Apple reportedly halves iPhone X production after disappointing holiday sales

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Wow... couldn't believe this when I read it in the FB Trending section! Apple is actually "cutting from 40 million units per quarter to 20 million per quarter" AND "a report from Taiwan’s Economic Daily News, which claimed that Apple’s initial manufacturing target of 50 million units had been cut to 30 million units. Apple did not comment on that report, but it's shares have dropped. Today, they’ve fallen around 2% and are near a three-month low. Over the past week, further rumors have suggested that the iPhone X will be discontinued after only a year on the market, causing some prospective customers to question its future."

https://venturebeat.com/2018/01/29/...production-after-disappointing-holiday-sales/

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Sadly I think this might be what happens to Samsung when and if they actually do bring out a foldable phone. I think some might get interested then some be like nope lol. I have to see it in person first lol. As for iPhone x you win some you lose some. That goes for all manufacturers actually.

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
There wasn't anything innovative about the X, and it's display still isn't on par with Samsung's. That's part of the reason I went with the Note8.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Sadly I think this might be what happens to Samsung when and if they actually do bring out a foldable phone. I think some might get interested then some be like nope lol. I have to see it in person first lol. As for iPhone x you win some you lose some. That goes for all manufacturers actually.
I feel the same on the folding phone, I'm not excited about it and probably will leave Samsung if that's where they go.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I feel the same on the folding phone, I'm not excited about it and probably will leave Samsung if that's where they go.
Don't go putting the cart before the horse! Even if they do come out with A foldable, they would never make ALL models foldable! THAT would be financial suicide... I would think it would be one (maybe two) new model that would not replace anything we're using now!

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site

I'd be more tempting if it came with spen like note series but I'll never leave the note series. I mean if it came at a decent price(I doubt it) then I would use it as a back up or play phone lol.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Don't go putting the cart before the horse! Even if they do come out with A foldable, they would never make ALL models foldable! THAT would be financial suicide... I would think it would be one (maybe two) new model that would not replace anything we're using now!

True. And sorry buddy. So wasn't trying to turn your topic into a Samsung topic lol. Forgive me? Still friends? Lol😊

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I use the note If they made the note and s series phones all curved screen, Samsung has proven they will make all models certain ways. The FPS falls into this also. I'm just saying if they did do foldable only for let's say the note, I'll be looking elsewhere. I agree, it would be financial suicide.

convergent

Oct 3, 2017
Visit site
Apple's whole product line is very disjointed now across the board. With iPhones, they have a hodgepodge of products that don't make any sense, other than they are just selling old models. Samsung's flagship line of S8, S8+, Note 8, and S8 Active give you four distinct models that make sense because they are each unique. Apple's got the oddball X, then 3 generations of phones that are largely the same, and finally the SE that is apparently not getting refreshed. Apple fans will defend Apple to their last breath, but I don't get it. Given the resources of Apple, they could do way better than what they are doing today with the iPhone line.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Apple's whole product line is very disjointed now across the board. With iPhones, they have a hodgepodge of products that don't make any sense, other than they are just selling old models. Samsung's flagship line of S8, S8+, Note 8, and S8 Active give you four distinct models that make sense because they are each unique. Apple's got the oddball X, then 3 generations of phones that are largely the same, and finally the SE that is apparently not getting refreshed. Apple fans will defend Apple to their last breath, but I don't get it. Given the resources of Apple, they could do way better than what they are doing today with the iPhone line.
Apple likes to nickel and dime their customers for every feature they add to the new iPhone they release, and then act like it's revolutionary when Samsung has been doing it for a few years already.

My opinion, these phones are just getting so expensive that maybe customers are starting to vote with their wallet, it's getting to expensive to upgrade every year for little differences. You also have to look at apples customer base, a lot of their customers are kids that have parents paying for the phone. I'm a parent and I would definitely look at the new iPhone and see there isn't that much difference and I'm not going to pay a grand for those little difference, Junior has a nice phone already.

Phones could be getting to a price point that people are going to hang onto their phones a little longer now.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Wow... couldn't believe this when I read it in the FB Trending section! Apple is actually "cutting from 40 million units per quarter to 20 million per quarter" AND "a report from Taiwan’s Economic Daily News, which claimed that Apple’s initial manufacturing target of 50 million units had been cut to 30 million units. Apple did not comment on that report, but it's shares have dropped. Today, they’ve fallen around 2% and are near a three-month low. Over the past week, further rumors have suggested that the iPhone X will be discontinued after only a year on the market, causing some prospective customers to question its future."

https://venturebeat.com/2018/01/29/...production-after-disappointing-holiday-sales/

Certainly not good news for Apple but when you think about it they still sold a lot of phones.

CrudeOne

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Apple does like to nickel and dime their customers for very marginal upgrades. They added a better screen, shrinked bezels, wireless charging, face ID, and animojis. They felt like those features justified a 1K plus tax price tag on hardware that will be outdated in 6-12 months.

The only one of those features that is unique to Apple is their animojis, and I'm quite sure it's just a matter of time before an Android OEM copies that feature. The rest of those features have been offered on other OEMs for years. These same flagships that cost 1K now could be had for $200/plus tax a few years ago with 2-year contact renewal. I am quite sure the carriers got their money back through other hidden fees. Nowdays you pay full price for these phones. These carriers finance it through monthly installments into your bill to take the sting off, but you still pay full price.

Apple, Samsung, and Google as well insist on charging 1K for hardware when you can buy a $500-$600 device (see OnePlus for example) with very minimal hardware sacrifices that do 90-95 percent of what devices do that they charge 1K plus for.

I look for people who are not tech enthusiasts to start holding on to their devices a little longer instead of upgrading every year.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
ios 11 wasn’t mentioned but is a real concern and issue, even affecting plans for iOS 12 to focus on stability and improvements and delay adding features. Also putting on hold redesign of home screen that was planned.

Haven’t heard how LG OLED is coming along. Delays in Fox Con have been mentioned. Investment in ARM. MacOS running on ARM? Probably just a backup engineering - but would consolidate having just one system software division. ?
Samsung investments in manufacturing OLED, quality Apple got, pricing varies by how many million units Apple buys... this is going to put the hurt on suppliers and cuts of $2-3B.

An iPhone 6 has trouble with iOS 11, a 7/Plus isn’t a big difference.

But to hear that Apple can’t do an iPhone SE2 because they have three new phones and enough on their plate? And is investing into original content? Also electronic medical records which is big.

Apple is not cutting edge on hardware. It was suppose to “just work.”

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Reason seems pretty simple.

They have like 3 phones from 2017 to choose from, and aside from display, design, secondary rear camera and FaceID, little separate them (oh, size and battery too, plus price).

Pretty likely that all 3 cannibalized sales from each other.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz