I've switched away from Swype

I used to love Swype. Once I got used to it, I was pretty fast taking notes on it. But with the latest update I found myself fighting with it - especially with words not in the dictionary. The other day, I finally gave up and went with Switftkey.

Anyone else experience this?

ETW11

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I tried Swiftkey and still have it on my phone in case I ever change my mind, but I think Swype is far and away the best keyboard there is. Also, the fact that I can't use Vlingo with Swiftkey is infuriating. I'm a very pleased Swype user.

For words that aren't in the dictionary, you need only type the word once to add it to the dictionary and then it will always be readily available.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I prefer Swiftkey - it's made messaging/typing a breeze. My only gripe is the voice option. As ETW11 mentioned you can't use Vlingo. I don't use voice so it's not an issue...but would be even better if I could use it.

I tried Swiftkey and still have it on my phone in case I ever change my mind, but I think Swype is far and away the best keyboard there is. Also, the fact that I can't use Vlingo with Swiftkey is infuriating. I'm a very pleased Swype user.

For words that aren't in the dictionary, you need only type the word once to add it to the dictionary and then it will always be readily available.
As for words being in the dictionary, the problem is with "words" that aren't words - email addresses, twitter hashtags, web urls. I don't really want to add these things to my dictionary.

At one point I was trying to enter an email address that had a period in it. With the old Swype, I could let it insert the space, and then I could go back and delete it. The new Swype wouldn't let me do this.

Maybe I just need to change my settings and try it again.

For me the newer version felt like a downgrade in ease of use.

ETW11

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Are you suggesting that Vlingo can be used when hitting the mic button within Swype? If so, how?

Yes. In your phone's settings, go to Voice Input & Output and change it from Google to Vlingo. You may need to reboot the phone for the new settings to work properly.

Reactions: Kash76

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I agree with ETW that Vlingo is a far better at voice than Google's very own. It might be personal preference, but I find it to be very true.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma