Swype Alternatives

Chuckles 135

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Well curious what everyone thinks about this. Personally I've never been a big fan of Swype but I love the concept behind it. I've used the old Shapewriter keyboard for a little over a year now and love it and was sad to see it gobbled up by Nuance. Recently I downloaded the Touchpal keyboard and I have to say I really like it. Still has some bugs to work out but I may have found a replacement for Shapewriter. Anybody else have a Swype alternative they like out there or gripes about these two keyboards?

fightfan

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
It's been quite a while since I've used the beta (still?) version of Swype, but I didn't like it. I kept having issues. Not sure if I remember correctly, but I think I had to reset it as my default keyboard every time I rebooted or I had to activate periodically when updated or something. Just a few comments.

1. You mentioned TouchPal Keyboard already. As far as I know, it's the only free version of a swiping keyboard.

2. The keyboard I used most often (until I recently switched to Swiftkey X as a test) was FlexT9. I got it free on Amazon App of the day a few months ago.

3. The keyboard I liked the best during trial phases was SlideIT. I was too cheap to pay for it though, and I was perfectly happy with FlexT9.

I don't really recall what the small differences were between these 3 swiping keyboards. None of them had the "administrative" issues I had with Swype though, but perhaps those have been resolved in the year or so since I used Swype. First impressions are hard to change though!

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I've also had good results with FlexT9 and TouchPal 5.0. FlexT9 uses Dragon Dictation for their speech recognition, which is a really good feature for that keyboard.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilsgutkowski