Well curious what everyone thinks about this. Personally I've never been a big fan of Swype but I love the concept behind it. I've used the old Shapewriter keyboard for a little over a year now and love it and was sad to see it gobbled up by Nuance. Recently I downloaded the Touchpal keyboard and I have to say I really like it. Still has some bugs to work out but I may have found a replacement for Shapewriter. Anybody else have a Swype alternative they like out there or gripes about these two keyboards?
    11-27-2011 07:08 PM
    It's been quite a while since I've used the beta (still?) version of Swype, but I didn't like it. I kept having issues. Not sure if I remember correctly, but I think I had to reset it as my default keyboard every time I rebooted or I had to activate periodically when updated or something. Just a few comments.

1. You mentioned TouchPal Keyboard already. As far as I know, it's the only free version of a swiping keyboard.

2. The keyboard I used most often (until I recently switched to Swiftkey X as a test) was FlexT9. I got it free on Amazon App of the day a few months ago.

3. The keyboard I liked the best during trial phases was SlideIT. I was too cheap to pay for it though, and I was perfectly happy with FlexT9.

I don't really recall what the small differences were between these 3 swiping keyboards. None of them had the "administrative" issues I had with Swype though, but perhaps those have been resolved in the year or so since I used Swype. First impressions are hard to change though!
    11-27-2011 09:23 PM
    I've also had good results with FlexT9 and TouchPal 5.0. FlexT9 uses Dragon Dictation for their speech recognition, which is a really good feature for that keyboard.
    11-29-2011 09:54 PM