Allow full usage of external keyboard?

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I just purchased my first android device (Nexus 7) along with an external keyboard. I intend to use it for some research/note-taking, but I'm hindered by the fact that I cannot use the full functions of the keyboard (CTRL+C/V, DEL, etc). It'd be much more efficient to C/P from the keyboard rather than the tablet touchscreen.

Is this a result of the keyboard being crappy, or the fact that the tablet doesn't recognize those functions (ltd functionality of the touchscreen keyboard)? Is there a way to allow these without rooting (i.e. an app)? Thanks!

(also, is there any way to copy and paste text that doesn't come from an editable textbox? sorry for the newbie questions lol)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's a result of copy/paste being a function of the computer the keyboard is connected to, not a function of the keyboard itself. If the software that comes with the keyboard doesn't simulate a desktop keyboard (and I don't know of any Android keyboard driver that does), you don't have the "non-single-key" (functions that aren't just the key itself) functions. Id you use an app that runs on a laptop, like MyPhoneExplorer, you can copy/paste from the laptop's keyboard.

(also, is there any way to copy and paste text that doesn't come from an editable textbox? sorry for the newbie questions lol)
Like text on the screen? If you have the screen duplicated on the laptop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy