Google Keyboard auto-correct annoyance

bobbob1016

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I like most of what the Google Keyboard does, except that it insists on typing 'OK' in all caps. Even after I did the hold to save 'Ok', and 'ok'. Is there a way to correct this? Or another keyboard that uses Google's voice recognition?

antilles76

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
OK is the correct way to spell it.

I like most of what the Google Keyboard does, except that it insists on typing 'OK' in all caps. Even after I did the hold to save 'Ok', and 'ok'. Is there a way to correct this? Or another keyboard that uses Google's voice recognition?

bobbob1016

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking that. But I still think that the case, in text talk, implies tone. If I read someone saying OK vs ok, I imagine an exclamation mark at the end. Probably just me, but yeah, it's an annoyance.

antilles76

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I understand the annoyance. Have you tried going into settings for Google keyboard and adding it to the personal dictionary? It may work that way.

Last edited:

bobbob1016

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Maybe it's a setting, but when I hit the plus, I type ok, but can't add it. I don't see how this would work with making it case sensitive though, or does it override the default? As in if I slide type it, would it prefer my 'ok' over their 'OK'?

antilles76

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
When you go into personal dictionary, click the + to add. Type in the ok on the Type a word line and click next. Click done to shrink the keyboard. Then click the + sign again to save. I'm not sure if it will override the default or not yet. I have not tried it out.

Maybe it's a setting, but when I hit the plus, I type ok, but can't add it. I don't see how this would work with making it case sensitive though, or does it override the default? As in if I slide type it, would it prefer my 'ok' over their 'OK'?

bobbob1016

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
When you go into personal dictionary, click the + to add. Type in the ok on the Type a word line and click next. Click done to shrink the keyboard. Then click the + sign again to save. I'm not sure if it will override the default or not yet. I have not tried it out.

I think something may be up, I did that the first time, and it didn't work. When I tap plus the second time, it still says nothing is there.

BrettAU

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I have a question on this topic as well. Previously when typing "donts" or "thats" my phone would autocorrect by adding the appropriate apostrophe. Now, not only does it not add the apostrophe, it autocorrects to "DONT" or "THATS". Any way to fix this?

eronfaure

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I have a question on this topic as well. Previously when typing "donts" or "thats" my phone would autocorrect by adding the appropriate apostrophe. Now, not only does it not add the apostrophe, it autocorrects to "DONT" or "THATS". Any way to fix this?

I have the exact same problem after my keyboard updated to the latest version. It's terribly annoying.

Canadian737

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site

This has driven me NUTS lately! Glad to see I'm not the only one. It's ridiculous. Hopefully Google takes a look at it!

John Gortney

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
BrettAU's fix worked for me.

I was also having the issue with that's being autocorrected to "THATs". Wildly annoying. Must have been a 4.4 issue (add it to the long list of annoying bugs). I had tried searching through personal dictionary on Google Keyboard and in Handscent SMS, but it was not an entry on either of those lists. Clearing the cache & data from the Google Keyboard app settings will correct this issue. In order to access this data clear feature, you will need to access the app settings from the list of all Apps, not the list of running Apps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908