Is Swiftkey getting buggier?

kwitel

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Im unsure why exactly, but my Swiftkey app seems to get worse over time.
I thought my typing would ultimately get better, but after 2 years, I appear to getting worse.

Some of my problems: its simply not giving good predictions, its randomly throwing in words that dont make any sense and the screen seems to be so sensitive to my typing, that I occasionally "flow" while typing, which produces all sorts of crazy results.

Finally, does anyone use the "always insert a space" option with the spacebar or are most people choosing between "prediction" and "complete the current word"?

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm using prediction with no completion on spacebar, although it seems to correct on spacebar, which many times means that I have to use the arrows to back up and spell the word I wanted, not the one it chose. Other than that, no complaints. I can "type" some whole sentences by choosing the next predicted word after about 8 months - it knows my style pretty well.

hiredgun

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Wow, "not giving good predictions" really? I have Swiftkey, Swype, and TouchPal, which I'd say are the big 3 for prediction for sure, and NOTHING I have used comes even close to Swiftkey for prediction! I even joke with people that it's the best keyboard for NOT having to type because after you use it for a day or two you can predict your way through a lot of conversations without having to even "type" the first word of a sentence on your own!! AS Rukbat said, it will learn your style pretty darn fast and you can predict more than "type" most of the time! I will say at least for gesture typing it's probably the LEAST accurate of the three, with Swype being first and TouchPal a very close second, but for prediction it's the best keyboard out there without a doubt! I use the space bar to select the prediction because it makes typing even faster for me. It's really strange that it would give you problems with the prediction of all things because Swiftkey is know for it's amazing prediction capabilities more than any other feature it has.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I agree with op. Sometimes it just goes off the deep end with predictions.
I find it more accurate at times to use flow more. I never use the space bar without lifting my finger. Certain themes I think work better than others.

Posted via the Android Central App

alexcolka

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't have predictions errors yet, but I suffer from double click sound and vibration when typing, it's like an echo for both sound and vibration that ruin the experience. Definitely a bug, it happens in my S4 and Nexus 7 (only the sound).

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

AndroidTechH3lP

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
Ignoring all hire and fire 🔥 guns
SwiftKey has now got competition my last update is worst.
They have ignored 90% of my stored predictions and behaving absurdity

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I found the biggest improvement by going into "Swiftkey Cloud" and unchecking the "trending phrases" box. That helped a LOT. I still have it checking my Gmail, and social media for phrases, along with using the spacebar to complete the prediction, and doubletap for period. So far so good - I have tried other keyboards and I keep coming back. It's not quite as fast as Google's stock keyboard but I much prefer having my punctuation on the same screen instead of taping another button to get to it. (I have voice disabled, no haptic feedback, no sound, and dialed back the long-press time down to about 275 from the stock 450 setting.

eibbed0001

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I like SwiftKey except that it has an annoying tendency to insert numbers into my words. Actually, it's probably me accidentally hitting a number when trying to use the top row of letters (I have it set up to show the number row at the top) but it still seems like it should autocorrect the word rather than think I want a number in the middle of a word li8ke this. I guess I'll have to get rid of the number row for a while.

PrinceCorwin

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I thought my typing would ultimately get better, but after 2 years, I appear to getting worse.

Some of my problems: its simply not giving good predictions, its randomly throwing in words that dont make any sense and the screen seems to be so sensitive to my typing, that I occasionally "flow" while typing, which produces all sorts of crazy results.

Finally, does anyone use the "always insert a space" option with the spacebar or are most people choosing between "prediction" and "complete the current word"?
I was just mentioning this yesterday. My predictions aren't nearly as good as they were a year ago

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

anon(9099462)

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site

What phone are you using? Do you have problems in certain apps or problem in general when typing using SwiftKey?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

ryanparedez

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
If you feel that your predictions are off, there are a few things I recommend.

1) Clear the cache and data from the app
2) Re personalize
3) Sign out of Cloud and sign back in

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I always was prompted to choose my keyboard every so often. Since last update it's multiple times per day and is annoying.

NikoBon

May 15, 2016
Visit site
I came across some issues lately, but after I unchecked "Trending phrases" in Swiftkey Cloud it has got better. What I don't like about Swiftkey is that it started throwing numbers in the words. It never happened before and I don't know how to fix it.
However, I've been using it for over a year now and can't see any better keyboards for Android, although I tried many of them.
Swiftkey is still the best in predicting what I am about to type and hence the fastest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma