I was wondering if there is an app that automatically switches the keyboard when you change the orientation or if there is one planned? Also would you need to be rooted to get such an app? It would be nice to have an app that lets you select what keyboard you want for different functions on the phone.
    01-27-2011 09:10 AM
    This would be interesting, not sure exactly how easy it would be considering that Swype is one application by itself and then the normal touch keyboard is another application.
    01-27-2011 12:06 PM
    There is one out there, called Keyboard Manager. However, you do need to be rooted, and you don't install it like a normal APK. Beyond that, I don't remember much. Search for yourself.
    01-27-2011 01:14 PM
    There is one out there, called Keyboard Manager. However, you do need to be rooted, and you don't install it like a normal APK. Beyond that, I don't remember much. Search for yourself.
    yes, actually, you do install it like a normal app (apk). it was recently updated to v1.1, which fixed just about all bugginess about it, and finally supports boot on startup, which was long overdue. the old one required you to manually copy it into /system/app and then set the permissions for it, and only then, it worked about half the time. this one is near perfect, though. although, yes, you do still need to be rooted to take advantage of it: [APP][ROOT/Keyboard] Keyboard Manager - Dual keyboard: Portrait/landscape switch - xda-developers

i've been using it for a while now, and it works flawlessly. try it out.
    weirdkid and chekyo4 like this.
    01-27-2011 11:58 PM
    what about ultrakeyboard?
    01-28-2011 12:06 AM
    yes, actually, you do install it like a normal app (apk). it was recently updated to v1.1, which fixed just about all bugginess about it, and finally supports boot on startup, which was long overdue. the old one required you to manually copy it into /system/app and then set the permissions for it, and only then, it worked about half the time. this one is near perfect, though. although, yes, you do still need to be rooted to take advantage of it: [APP][ROOT/Keyboard] Keyboard Manager - Dual keyboard: Portrait/landscape switch - xda-developers

i've been using it for a while now, and it works flawlessly. try it out.
    Thank is interesting! Thanks.
    01-28-2011 02:36 AM
    version 1.1 works great on my rooted DINC running CM 6.1
    01-28-2011 08:44 AM
    Sweet!

I was just getting ready to start a thread asking this exact question. I have been looking for something to allow me to use Swype in portrait mode & Swiftkey in landscape. I will definitely check this out!
    02-02-2011 08:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD