Shapewriter morphs into FlexT9?

Hardcase

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I was looking around for an update to ShapeWriter (which i absolutely love). I came across an article that says that it was purchased by Nuance, which makes Dragon Naturally Speaking. Further research revealed that Nuance has released it's own keyboard product called FlexT9 that combines speech recognition with with ShapeWriter functionality on the keyboard and a writing function that recognizes letter input (like Google Gesture Search).

So, the obvious question, has anyone used FlexT9 and if so how is it?

The cost is $4.99 in the Market. With the new 15 minute limit on refunds, I'm loathe to be the Guinea Pig on this new product. But, I'd love feedback from others.

On a side note, I tried Swype for a while and found that it's recognition is much worse than ShapeWriter and have reverted back to the old, now defunct program.

adrianq

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I bought it because I live and die by Shapewriter. In my opinion it isn't as good. It has some cool features like Voice-to-Text that works rather well. However, I really dislike how it handles editing of words it doesn't understand. It is hard to explain, but it is just annoying. It also doesn't have a smiley key which I miss, but I am sure most don't care about.

I for one am sticking with shapewriter for now. I did end up buying flexT9 so hopefully it gets some of the quirks worked out.

Hope this helps a little.

Hardcase

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for your report. It is interesting how a really good product can get worse when it is "improved" by another company. I was a bit afraid of that when the screen shots did not have some of the useful buttons that Shapewriter utilizes. The one I use a lot is the button to shift the capitalization of the letters. It is very handy and no other program has it. Other programs make you shift before you type and Shapewriter has that quick fix afterward.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan