Just wanted to let everyone know that Amazon's free app of the day, for today, 5/14/11, is FlexT9 'Speak. Trace. Write. Tap.' by Nuance. This use to be Shapewriter, now Nuance(makers of Dragon Naturally Speaking) bought it. It is normally 4.99, but it is free today.
    05-14-2011 07:06 AM
    Yeah, just saw it this morning.
    Reading the reviews makes it look like a good alternative to Swype... a nice free $4.99 app
    05-14-2011 07:53 AM
    Looks like it combines swype and the gingerbread keyboards, I'm liking it so far. Now all we need is for someone to make a dark theme for it. :-)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    05-14-2011 10:09 AM
    I just tried it out and it works pretty well with the regular typing method. I didn't try swype-like. I usually use SwiftKey and like it but this one seems pretty good.
    05-14-2011 10:25 AM
    I'm trying it out as well this morning. I like the voice recording feature. So far it's been spot on with the word recognition. It'll be exciting to see this type of technology progress. It'll be much easier to respond to a text or email while on the go.
    05-14-2011 11:42 AM
    This
    05-14-2011 03:17 PM
    I just tried voice recognition, it works great.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    05-14-2011 03:29 PM
    I have SwiftKey and it works great, plus it has voice recognition which also works well. So besides swype-like functionality, why is FlexT9 better than SwiftKey?
    05-14-2011 05:02 PM
    i'm really liking this FlexT9 keyboard. i have been using SlideIT keyboard for more than a year now. i have also used Swype for a while but the main thing i do not like about Swype is the ease in which nonsense words get into its dictionary. in Swype, once i mistype a word and press space, the word will automatically be added to the dictionary. after a just a few weeks of use, these garbage words are always popping up as the first pick in the suggestions. there is a way to delete these words from the dictionary, but Swype lacks a proper way to access the user dictionary in list form. i actually have to type and delete garbage words as i type along and discover that they are there.

with FlexT9, adding words is much the same as Swype, but FlexT9 seems to learn which words the user usually pick. for example, the first times i typed "the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy sheep dog" FlexT9 kept picking the proper name for Brown and Fox. after i typed the sentence 2 times and picked the common terms brown and fox, the FlexT9 used those for each subsequent usage. i would guess that even though gargabe will get in to the FlexT9 dictionary just as easily as it did with Swype, with FlexT9, it will not keep suggesting those unintentionally added words if the user had only used a term one time.
    05-15-2011 12:36 AM
    After a day of using FlexT9, I like it a lot but miss some of the features Swype had.
    I like how easier it is to pick the words from the "ribbon-" though FlexT9 seems to make much less mistakes then Swype. Like many said, the Voice Recognition is great.
    I don't have much use for the drawing input part of the keyboard.

Unless I've miss something, miss how easy it was on Swype to pick punctuation marks and making capital letter by swyping to the spacebar or off screen. Are there short cuts for these features?

Overall, I'll stick with this KB for a while.
    05-15-2011 08:10 AM
    I like swiftkey much better...its predictive capability is better, and it adds a space after choosing one of the suggested corrections. But the tracing/swyping is better than swype, IMO.
    05-15-2011 10:37 AM
    So many choice, thanks for your opinions
    09-16-2011 11:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD