Recommendations for a keyboard

ve4grm

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
Hey all,

I've tried an endless amount of keyboards. All have certain things I dislike. For the big ones:

Swype - Used it for years, love the swipe shortcuts, but it feels like swipe accuracy has gotten progressively worse. Also wish I could make shortcuts for phrases, such as typing "eml" to have it output my email address.

Swiftkey - I just can't deal with the auto-spacing after words and punctuation. If I could turn that off, I'd use it. Also miss the ability to manually edit my user dictionary.

Gboard - Love the swipe accuracy, and the spacebar-swiping for cursor control. Hate that it won't autocomplete in URL bars or password fields.

Chrooma - The swipe predictions are just... bad... Even when I type out some words, it immediately assumes I meant something else.

Is there something I'm missing that will get me what I want? I use swipe typing, so whatever is suggested needs that. No autospacing after punctuation (I can deal with after words). Accurate swipe interpretations. And autocompletes in URLs. Nice things to have would be shortcut phrases, autocomplete in password fields, manually edit user dictionary.

Alternately, if anybody has any suggestions for making my Swype predictions more accurate, I can stick with that I guess.

Thanks for the help!

anon(3641385)

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Have you tried the BlackBerry virtual keyboard? Quite outstanding in it's capabilities, and more than matches those you mentioned above.

You will need to get it via Cobalt's Blackberry Manager, and Cobalt has his own thread on Crackberry as well. Cobalt has been managing the BB apps for non bb devices for a few years, and he and the process are well respected and well regarded.

Here is the forum link containing all the info you'll need to make your decision:
https://forums.crackberry.com/andro...-any-android-device-no-root-required-1059855/

I use the bb keyboard on my samsung note 8.

ve4grm

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
Did you try it? Your views?

I did, actually.

The swiping was ok. I couldn't figure out how to make predictions work when tapping (they show up on the keyboard, but I'm not sure how to enter them?), but they worked ok when swiping.

But it autospaced after punctuation (which ruins any URLs you might type) and didn't show the autocomplete bar in url fields (I think, it was a week ago). I couldn't figure out how to change either of those things.

Hemicrusher

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
Have you tried using Chrooma Beta?....the prediction is fixed in that.

Anyhow, I have tried all that you listed along with a few others like Keyboard 69, Fleksy, Multiling, Kii2 etc. GBoard and Swiftky even with the quirks have been the most reliable for me. Chrooma Beta is nice, but sometimes an update with break something.

ve4grm

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I'm not going to bother with betas. Maybe in a while I'll check back to see if it's improved in the main Chrooma.

For now, I'm just sticking it out with Swype.

etphoto

Oct 5, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, I'm not going to bother with betas. Maybe in a while I'll check back to see if it's improved in the main Chrooma.

For now, I'm just sticking it out with Swype.
I started using Swype but for me the spacebar key is too small. I use my right thumb to hit the spacebar and routinely hit the period key. Drives me nuts. Lol

teresamaria1978

May 4, 2017
Visit site
I started using Swype but for me the spacebar key is too small. I use my right thumb to hit the spacebar and routinely hit the period key. Drives me nuts. Lol
Hi

I've been using swiftkey for years now and i can honestly say that it just gets better and better. They have lots of customizations emojis sizes etc you can link accounts and that's but just a few things it can do.

Hope this helps

etphoto

Oct 5, 2017
Visit site
Hi

I've been using swiftkey for years now and i can honestly say that it just gets better and better. They have lots of customizations emojis sizes etc you can link accounts and that's but just a few things it can do.

Hope this helps

Thanks. I did start using SwiftKey (a week now) and so far it is better than Swype. I hit the space bar every time.

pbksoft

Mar 11, 2018
Visit site
I use "Multiling O Keyboard" for a few years. Predictions are not perfect, but this is the only keyboard I know which lets you design your own DIY keyboard layout.

kgambino

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I use "Multiling O Keyboard" for a few years. Predictions are not perfect, but this is the only keyboard I know which lets you design your own DIY keyboard layout.
I use ai.type keyboard. I upgraded to plus version. Very customizable. Lots of free skins , or you make your own. I use it on both my LG G6 and my Samsung Tab 2.

vitalipom

Jan 18, 2019
Visit site
Did you try effectedkeyboard? Check it out it doesn't have any magic autocompletion or some extra autocorfect but once you used to it, it is fun to type. Effected keyboard is special in that that it's super comfortable, you have dozens of space to mistake and somehow you just hit the right button. I'm used to it, I like, use it daily regulary. Tried other keyboards liked any. But this is the most comfortable for sure. Really convenient keyboard.