From Blackberry PlayBook to Kindle Fire HDX

mgm1979

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
It wasn't easy, but I had to call it quits on the ol' PlayBook - I spent a lot on that thing, and went through a lot, but it was time. And, since I've been on/with Crackberry since the Storm 1 days, I wound up here...

The family is heavily ingrained in the Amazon ecosystem (Prime members since the beginning - subscribe and save shoppers - Kindle readers and Audible listeners...and my son has the KFHD, while my wife has the KFHD 8.9), so the HDX seemed like a logical progression for me. I did A LOT of research before taking the plunge though - Nexus, G-Tabs, and Win RT all popped up on my radar, but all slowly faded. Eventually, my decision was the HDX 7 (I loved the portability of the playbook vs the 9"+ devices), with an eye towards a Win 8 Pro device in the near future...that means, I can use the HDX for exactly what it was intended (media consumption), and then have the Surface Pro 2 or something similar to 'get things done'.

So, the HDX arrived last week, and I was impressed right from the get-go. Unfortunately, 3-days into my 'affair' the thing bit the dust...it had showed signs of struggling here and there, apps crashing/closing, and a random reboot here and there, but on the 3rd day, when trying to load up Sports Center via the WatchESPN app, the screen went black, and never came back. I tried some of the 'recovery' suggestions I found on the internet, and on Amazon, to no avail (I even got a suggestion to use the MayDay button, which made me laugh). Finally, I called Amazon up, and ran through much of the same trouble-shooting steps I had already done, and confirmed what I already knew. It was bricked, and unrecoverable. Props to Amazon though (and a huge reason why our family has continued to give them our money on a daily basis), they sent a brand new replacement overnight-Saturday delivery.

Now, I'm on my 2nd HDX, and still loving it. Still experiencing some random app crashes and reboots, which I'm chalking up to a 'rough around the edges' reboot on their OS (and coming from the PlayBook, I certainly know how that 'game' works). Having had the 2 Kindle Fire HDs in the house for a year now, and seeing how 'solid' and reliable they have been, I'm not too worried. Amazon will work out the kinks, and this thing will be a winner. So far, no regrets - whatsoever - on moving on from the Playbook, and settling on the HDX.

We'll see if this sentiment changes any over the next couple weeks/months...

EdwardC

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Glad to hear about your positive experience, I just gave my Playbook to a fellow firefighter in my department. I also have a KFHD+ and am very happy with it. I'm thinking about a HDX to replace my Nexus 7, still on fence though.

Posted via Android Central App

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm bummed to hear about some of the OS struggles. I have an HD 8.9 and am very close to upgrading to the HDX 8.9. I'm not one who usually rushes to upgrade, but based on the reviews it seems like it would be a much nicer tablet to keep larger term. Is it a mistake to upgrade the HD 8.9?

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Glad to hear about your positive experience, I just gave my Playbook to a fellow firefighter in my department. I also have a KFHD+ and am very happy with it. I'm thinking about a HDX to replace my Nexus 7, still on fence though.

Posted via Android Central App

I have the HDX 7" and love it. My 2013 edition N7 is due back from ASUS any day now (had to send it out for speaker repair), but I'm pretty sure I'll be selling the N7. If you are an Amazon Prime member, the Kindles are phenomenal.

I'm bummed to hear about some of the OS struggles. I have an HD 8.9 and am very close to upgrading to the HDX 8.9. I'm not one who usually rushes to upgrade, but based on the reviews it seems like it would be a much nicer tablet to keep larger term. Is it a mistake to upgrade the HD 8.9?

I have had my Fire HDX 7" for a month or so now, and have not had a single issue. I think you should go for it, the screen is amazing on these things. If you have not seen this review, it's worth reading:
Amazon Kindle Fire HDX review (8.9-inch) | The Verge

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I have had my Fire HDX 7" for a month or so now, and have not had a single issue. I think you should go for it, the screen is amazing on these things. If you have not seen this review, it's worth reading:
Amazon Kindle Fire HDX review (8.9-inch) | The Verge

I'm a sucker for nice screens. I've been pleased with the quality of my HD 8.9, so I can only imagine how much nicer the HDX must be for all tasks. Since the 64GB is still backordered I can agonize over the decision a little longer. I am leaning toward taking the plunge.

Sent from my Nexus 4 on Solavei

RubberChicken76

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I just did the same thing. I liked the PlayBooks form factor and 64 GB storage, so the Kindle Fire HDX seemed like the logical successor since the PlayBook isn't going to be updated. I'm still getting used to the HDX, but a month in there are definitely quite a few things I like and a number I wish would be improved. Same with any tech.

The biggest negative right now for me is the Amazon app store. I expected a whole new world of Android apps to open up now that I was on the Kindle but a lot of said apps aren't in the Amazon store and the device won't work with Google Play. So it's a bit disappointing.

Lendo

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I was also considering the HDX to replace my PB. Looking at some of the reviews, it would seems the 8.9" has better video quality then the 7", can anyone confirm this?

Lendo

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
From what I see you can't even connect this to a tv without another device, no HDMI out. That's strange, and I can't find any info on whether or not it's able to stream to the TV via the new FireTV.

Lendo

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I took a chance and ordered the Fire HDX 7" along with a FireTV. Can't wait until it gets here next week.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I have the 8.9 hdx and really like it. I'm looking forward to a review of the fire TV and how it works with the fire - especially mirroring the screen.

Lendo

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I have the 8.9 hdx and really like it. I'm looking forward to a review of the fire TV and how it works with the fire - especially mirroring the screen.

So the FireTV and Fire HDX work almost perfectly together. Mirroring is pretty simple, just can take some time to connect. The really cool stuff is the X-ray, when you watch movies or tv shows from Prime. You can access all kinds of neat stuff on the Fire HDX while you watch the show on FireTV. I'm really glad that I bought them. I've since cancelled my cable and we are now an internet only family. I'll be ordering 2 more FireTV units for the bedrooms. If you have NetFlix, HuluPlus and Amazon Prime accts, you really can't go wrong with the FireTV.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis