I dropped my brand new Galaxy S5 phone 10-15 feet. It landed on a corner of the phone and bounced. It just popped the back off and once i put it back together, it then worked. The screen started fuzzing out but could still hear it working. If I took the battery out for a minute, it would work for a few days. After a month, that didn't work anymore. If its turned on, you can hear the phone start up. But has a black screen. There is no cosmetic damage, including the screen. I've been told its probably the LCD inside. I am NOT tech savy. I've been given an estimate of $245. Does this sound reasonable?

***You're probably right about the led vs LCD. The actual screen shouldn't need replacement though since their is no damage there should it? I'm obviously no tech guru
    02-08-2015 03:40 PM
    It's probably the LED layer, not the LCD layer, but they're both part of "the screen" - so it's an inaccurate description, but if the estimate is for replacing the screen, it's probably correct. Since the price of the screen is more than half what you were quoted, it's better than reasonable - labor usually equals or exceeds parts price (because they can), but an experienced tech can replace a screen pretty quickly so it may just be an honest shop.

What bohers me is that there may be "invisible damage" - cracks in the motherboard, for example, that will start showing up later, as the phone is subjected to temperature stressing (expanding in a warm house, contracting outdoors) and use - and even though you put $245 into it, it's going to need more repair later. If they warranty the entire phone, not just the screen, for 6 months or a year, you're stealing from them.
    deesssyy likes this.
    02-08-2015 04:06 PM
    ***You're probably right about the led vs LCD. The actual screen shouldn't need replacement though since their is no damage there should it? I'm obviously no tech guru :/
    02-08-2015 07:08 PM