How to avoid tethering?

SuttonKathy

Jun 10, 2021
Visit site
When I am at home, my Android phone (Le ECO) sometimes shows a QR code against my home Internet connection and says Tethering. What causes a connection to tether? Is there a permanent fix other than rebooting the phone?

SuttonKathy

Jun 10, 2021
Visit site
Here is the screen shot of the lower part of the Select Wi-Fi from my phone in the downloads folder of my PC. The screenshot is 107 kB in size in JPG format. I am however unable to attach the screenshot to the thread using the Insert Image functionality on the tool bar. I would appreciate suggestions.

Attachments

• Tether.jpg
    Tether.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you using the forum website in your browser, the Tapatalk-based AC Forums app, or the main Android Central app (the one with news)?

SuttonKathy

Jun 10, 2021
Visit site
The W-Fi screen shows the following:
On - Yes

Connected network (section heading)
Network name

Icons for tethering and wireless signal strength are shown next to the network name.

I see the following screenshot when I tap on the tethering icon.

Attachments

• Tether.jpg
    Tether.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 7

SuttonKathy

Jun 10, 2021
Visit site
Under System settings > Wi-Fi Network > Personal hotspot ... there is a Tethering section.

There are two selections available in the Tethering section, neither of which are active.

The two selection available are:
USB tethering (USB not connected)
Bluetooth tethering (Not sharing this phone's Internet connection)

Both selections are OFF.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, and what kind of wi-fi network is the phone currently connected to? Is it your home wi-fi router, or are you connecting to some other device that is acting as a tether?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you certain you're connecting to your home wi-fi network? Are there any other networks nearby that your phone might be trying to connect with, like a public network?

Also, who's your ISP? Which DNS server are you using? Make sure it's a trustworthy one like Google's or Cloudflare's: https://www.howtogeek.com/167533/the-ultimate-guide-to-changing-your-dns-server/

From what I can tell, QCloud is owned by TenCent, a big Chinese company.

SuttonKathy

Jun 10, 2021
Visit site
Are you certain you're connecting to your home wi-fi network? Are there any other networks nearby that your phone might be trying to connect with, like a public network?= > I believe my phone is connects to my home wi-fi network. The connection shows my Home network's name.

Who's your ISP? Windstream

Which DNS server are you using? I do not know. When I long-press the network name as described in the URL you provided, my phone does not give the 'Modify Newtwork' option.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You'll need to log into your router's settings to change the DNS server it uses. Logging into a router's settings is usually pretty simple, done through your browser. What's the router's make and model?

SuttonKathy

Jun 10, 2021
Visit site
I have a Windstream Wi-Fi Modem Model T-3200. The router is TP-LINK Model Archer C50.

I have tried shutting off the home Internet connection. The phone loses its Wi-Fi connection when I do so. This would suggest the phone is using the Home Wi Fi connection.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I suggested previously that you make sure your DNS server is either Google's (8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4) or Cloudflare (1.1.1.1). Use the instructions in that link to check which DNS server your router is using, and change it if needed.

SuttonKathy

Jun 10, 2021
Visit site
Apparently, this a recent, common issue with LeEco phones. I found two threads:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Smartphones/comments/o24j6t/2_weeks_ago_my_smartphone_keeps_trying_to_sign/

https://androidforums.com/threads/insistent-sign-in-to-network-pop-up.1336192/

The first one talks about a easy solution. It involves accessing the Phone Manager.

When I try to open Phone Manager from Tools, the Phone Manager on my LeEco does not open.

If the diagnosis provided in the second thread is correct, i.e., Seems like the phone has been trying to ping a server that has recently been shut down, is there a way to stop this ping?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hard to say what's causing that. It could be something baked into the phone's firmware, so booting into Safe Mode might not prevent it from happening, but it's still worth a try: https://www.hardreset.info/devices/leeco/leeco-le-2-pro-x25/safe-mode/ (Not sure if those steps will work on your phone.)

The original screenshot you showed is pretty clearly related to the phone's own mobile hotspot feature -- scanning the QR code would allow another device to connect to your phone's hotspot. Not sure why that crops up, though -- you typically have to go deeper into the system settings to find that. https://www.computerworld.com/article/2499772/how-to-use-a-smartphone-as-a-mobile-hotspot.html

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I'm not familiar with that app or menu. Is it in your system settings?

Which Le Eco model do you have?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37