Extracting text messages and call logs

HoosierDaddy

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
My father passed away last week and I want to save text conversations and phone logs to a Windows 10 PC before canceling his cell service and retiring his phone. Just moving to Android (S20 5G FE) myself, I have no idea what's the best way to do that.

His phone is on Android 8.1.0, an LG Stylo 4. I installed an app to do it but it only offers backups to One Drive, Drop Box, GMail (iirc) or SD card. He had none of those. So I would prefer not to take any of those paths, particularly without knowing if the saves were even usable on a PC.

How can I do this, preferably via USB to the PC and preferably for free? The saves need to be human readable; I only mention that because I recall from a distant past, extracting text conversations from a Windows phone and the date/time stamps were the seconds from some fixed earliest start date.

HoosierDaddy

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry for your loss

Maybe try sms back up from play store ?
Thanks.

The one I mentioned that doesn't work with his current phone and accounts was SMS Backup and Restore. I see another with the name you suggest and will try it.

Update: That worked. Thanks again.

Now to figure out phone logs.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks.

The one I mentioned that doesn't work with his current phone and accounts was SMS Backup and Restore. I see another with the name you suggest and will try it.

Update: That worked. Thanks again.

Now to figure out phone logs.
Phone logs not sure , Your welcome!

HoosierDaddy

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
SMS Backup and Restore does call logs, too.
Thanks. Call log was very short so just screen printed. I only wanted them for the almost non-existent chance they might be useful for attorneys working for the estate.

But that was the app I tried first and it did not have a way to save either without going thru Google or some other service that wasn't set up.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
The backup app does allow for saving the files (XML format) to the local phone storage, while it does try hard to have you pick somewhere else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs