Is Ice Cream Sandwich the last significant update for Android?

interxavier

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I've been following Android for almost two years now but I still haven't bought any Android device. One of the main reasons is that the Android OS has not yet reached its peak of improvement. Unlike iOS, Android has yet to reach that point where any further upgrades beyond the current version will be significant. This is, of course, how I see it.

Do you guys think Ice Cream Sandwich is the most important update yet? When I buy my Android phone, I want it to be when the OS is at its peak of improvement.

jaestreetsss

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
There will always be something better around the corner. Buy now and enjoy it for what it is.

+1

The reason there's so many updates is because of more possibilities with each 1.
Ics will be holding strong for a while bcuz its for tabs n phone's.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Is Ice Cream Sandwich the last significant update for Android

There will be a point when Apple decides to shift gears and give a UI facelift to the iPhone. I am happy with the various changes to the Android OS. The development community is great and it has brought upon two iterations of Android to my aging Hero. I anticipate someday using ICS on it thanks to the people who put in work -- but that will only hold me over until my next upgrade.

Purchase now and be happy with it for the next year or two. After-all, almost everything is technically outdated the minute it hits retail shelves.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Its constantly changing every year, that is the only way to stay on top of the latest technology.

With changes to processors, graphic capabilities, cameras, video, memory etc... They are forced to meet the demands of these things buy doing OS updates to stay in touch with these developments. Plus Android seems to be focused now on meeting the demands of the consumer by incorporating what users like into ICS and future OS updates via the UI (User interface).

Personally I like the change every year or so, it keeps it fresh and exciting. If I wanted to stay the same I would go buy a Fruitphone or BB.

Reactions: crzycrkr

mykocorum

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site

There are plenty more letters in the alphabet left to go.. maybe next we'll get Jam sponge? :)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

Whatever the name, it's sure to be delicious.

END

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

It is a significant update but it won't be the last. Always room to improve a product, and android is no different.
I still would like to see a change come to their marketplace. I would like them to curate the market so customers can buy in confidence

:)

cbill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

My opinion: There is a point where almost any marketed technology reaches the top of the Bell demand curve. To me, that is the point where the technology (phones & tablets) becomes sufficient to achieve the tasks most persons want achieved, in a timely and efficient manner. Beyond that point, the base market will probably change from new user and technology demand, to simple replacement.

It is hard for me to imagine anyone really needing any more than a four core processor, and/or HD graphics on a phone or 10" or less tablet. Since ICS is supposed to be able to handle these advanced hardware features on most present and foreseeable phones and tablets, I suspect the market will begin to stabilize after ICS is installed on the devices that will accept it.

But then again, maybe not.

Cbill

p3unit32

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
I've been following Android for almost two years now but I still haven't bought any Android device. One of the main reasons is that the Android OS has not yet reached its peak of improvement. Unlike iOS, Android has yet to reach that point where any further upgrades beyond the current version will be significant. This is, of course, how I see it.

Do you guys think Ice Cream Sandwich is the most important update yet? When I buy my Android phone, I want it to be when the OS is at its peak of improvement.

ICS is by far the best software update for Android. The most important thing as stated, the fragmentation factors is resolved. The software appears more fluid and more polished, most importantly it's suppose to be more user friendly. If I was an android user, which I was for six months I would go after the flagship phones. I would definitely go after the Galaxy Nexus unlocked, I don't have Verizon service.

meany105

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site

the people at google are very creative, but that only goes so far. Personally Hardware acceleration was the last Big feature i was waiting for. after that, i'm fine with staying on ICS especially since flash won't be officially supported after ICS. (although i might switch to cyanogenmod 10 if it gets decent flash support)

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site

I agree with Cbill. You can see this same phenomena with desktop/laptop computers. I think the frenzy over smartphones has peaked, especially since the market is flooded with confusing claims and hundreds of "models." Unless a person is a techie, most of this goes right over their head. Just try talking "Android" to anyone else and they are asleep before you get two sentences out.

Also, regarding the iOS developments. I also have iPh4 and had a Droid X. The iPh4's original OS was literally more than a year behind the capabilities of the X. The recent iOS5 brought the iPh into competition with the Android system, but not ahead of it. However, most people don't care.

Personally, I think there will always be improvements (thank goodness for that), but more of a finesse situation than radical development - at least until some new device is out there.

My opinion: There is a point where almost any marketed technology reaches the top of the Bell demand curve. To me, that is the point where the technology (phones & tablets) becomes sufficient to achieve the tasks most persons want achieved, in a timely and efficient manner. Beyond that point, the base market will probably change from new user and technology demand, to simple replacement.

It is hard for me to imagine anyone really needing any more than a four core processor, and/or HD graphics on a phone or 10" or less tablet. Since ICS is supposed to be able to handle these advanced hardware features on most present and foreseeable phones and tablets, I suspect the market will begin to stabilize after ICS is installed on the devices that will accept it.
Cbill

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

I think there will always be opportunity to make changes and improvements. Technology and software are not static. Look at Windows and compare what it was when at version 3.1 to where it is headed with Windows 8. As there are more hardware advancements and people rely more on smartphones, software will continue to change to take advantage of things. With ICS, Google moved Android ahead of the curve. I agree with Arelunde. iOS is now competitive with Android - version 2.x! But even iOS will continue to evolve.

sr.torres22

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

So, if I'm understanding this correctly. If there is no official ICS update for my Bionic, eventually a possible ROM will surface similair to the real ICS?