Google Now keeps saying my location service is off

Mirest

May 20, 2013
Visit site
The common thread seems to be the Goodle update that we all seem to have done, not sure what HTC would be able to do about that.

The issue is not limited to Google services though. Other applications like Waze, Facebook etc are having this location issue as well. I thought the common conception was that it was an issue with HTC devices only, no therefore something related to HTC itself. Did I get that wrong?

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

FifthElement

May 23, 2012
Visit site
The issue is not limited to Google services though. Other applications like Waze, Facebook etc are having this location issue as well. I thought the common conception was that it was an issue with HTC devices only, no therefore something related to HTC itself. Did I get that wrong?

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums
You don't understand, all of these apps pull from the Network Location service. I believe that is what is messed up on our phones. The update moved mine to the downloaded apps folder, did it happen to anyone else? After a clean reset it's working fine again. It simply can't be coincidence that we all had the same issue at the same time. Its either the new Google Now update or Google Play Services, but we can't be sure which one. Google would know which messed with what but I personally think its Play Services as they updated the API's with a new location service which runs 24-7. I bet it messed with something. Also Google Play services can update silently while Google Now has to be updated manually. Did anyone who has this issue in this thread not update Google Now and have this issue?

5th

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Google services would be the issue not Google Now. Especially considering anything that uses location has the issue. That's just an app that pulls in the location from Google services. Google confirmed to me the issue was Google services update. This was after I send a feedback report into them regarding the issue.

Last edited:

stevecr25

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Having the same issue with my HTC EVO 4G LTE...

All apps that require Android Location Services no longer function properly.

Google Maps and Navigation hasn't worked on the EVO 4G LTE since HTC pushed the Jellybean update last November.

How long will it take them to fix this mess?

FifthElement

May 23, 2012
Visit site
Having the same issue with my HTC EVO 4G LTE...

All apps that require Android Location Services no longer function properly.

Google Maps and Navigation hasn't worked on the EVO 4G LTE since HTC pushed the Jellybean update last November.

How long will it take them to fix this mess?
I had the same issue as you with Maps and Navigation since JellyBean. Doing a hard reset the other day for the new location issue fixed everything. Now I can use Navigation without it shutting down after a minute and Google Location services work quickly and precise. The only thing I can suggest to all of you is a clean wipe. I know it sucks as it took me 4 hours to put my phone back the way I like it.

I would guess it will take Google a week or two to figure this out. They will first have to get a phone with the issue and then do some tests once they do fix it. Basically everything they should have done in the first place that they skipped. All these websites have been talking about Google separating Android from itself and speeding up the update process but this is exactly why the carriers and companies take so long. They want to make sure an update won't crash your phone or cause serious issues like this. Google simply dropped the ball big-time here. It's this kind of stuff that drives novice users to Apple.

5th

Last edited:

Mohit Gogia

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I am using Google Now HTC One. Similar issue, so if I understand correctly, its something that cannot be resolved yet without doing a factory reset right?

FifthElement

May 23, 2012
Visit site
I am using Google Now HTC One. Similar issue, so if I understand correctly, its something that cannot be resolved yet without doing a factory reset right?
Not yet but Google has finally admitted it was their fault and they are working to find the issue. But as I said in my other post it might be a while.

5th

arpadv

May 19, 2013
Visit site
@FifthElement I also did a factory reset, but after a while the problem reappeared. Did you install all the updates suggested by Google Play after the reset? What other software did you install (especially, did you install any app using the location service)?

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
@FifthElement I also did a factory reset, but after a while the problem reappeared. Did you install all the updates suggested by Google Play after the reset? What other software did you install (especially, did you install any app using the location service)?

Yeah this doesn't permanently fix the issue. We had tried factory wiping 3 devices. They all came back working, but once you updated everything Google wise, and Google Play Services updated the problem came right back. Best thing for everybody to do is sit tight. Got confirmation today that they're already working on the issue.

FifthElement

May 23, 2012
Visit site
So far so good with no issues yet. Yeah, I'm on the newest Play Services, Google Play Store, Maps and Google now. I always disable Google Plus, Gmail (I use HTC Mail app) Facebook, Twitter (they are preinstalled on my EVO LTE) so none of those were updated. I also installed Flixster, Google Drive, Netflix, Play Music, Xfinity Player, Xfinity TV, and YouTube. Flixster is still working without GPS enabled as is Google Maps. Google Now is not reporting that Google Location Services is turned off like it was the other night either. And my "Network Location" service app is still in the "All" section of App Settings as when the issue happened last time it was moved into the (user) "Downloaded" section.

Yeah this doesn't permanently fix the issue. We had tried factory wiping 3 devices. They all came back working, but once you updated everything Google wise, and Google Play Services updated the problem came right back. Best thing for everybody to do is sit tight. Got confirmation today that they're already working on the issue.
I know as others have had the issue come back. Luckily I haven't had the issue reoccur as of yet.

The new "Google Services" is using a ton of battery. According to HTC battery info Google Services is #1 in my battery drain list at 20% (down from 62% on my last charge). When I click it, it says included packages are Network Location, Google Play services and a few other Google related sync apps. But don't you think it's odd that the battery drain started after this new Google Play services was installed as none of these apps never came close to using that much battery before the update. Others have reported battery drain too although some have not had any issues with battery use.

I'll keep you guys updated and I'll see if I can force it to cause the issue. I'll try uninstalling Google Now and Google Play Services and reinstall to see if it causes the error.

I have the HTC EVO 4G LTE:

Model Number: EVO
Android Version: 4.1.1
Build Number: 3.16.651.CLI147243 release-keys

5th

Cyrene

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Just found this thread after going half crazy. I posted in the Evo Lte forum that Google Now stopped working and didn't get many responses, although there are some in the play store under Google Search. What I thought was a Google Now issue has now ballooned after reading this thread! Lol! My Google Navigation Services app is also in the "download" section and I am afraid to uninstall the updates. No weather location, maps can't find my location without GPS no Now cards, etc, everything described here. I have the HTC Evo Lte, completely stock. I cannot remember when I updated Google apps, but I noticed the problem the night before last. This may be a coincidence, but after the play store updated I lost all 3G service, almost turned in my phone, but a series of factory resets and battery pulls restored it. Never had any problems with this phone until now.
Sent from my EvoLte using Tapatalk 2

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Problem fix

I just updated today to and went crazy checking things on, to see what would work lol and all that needs to be done is check the box for 'location and Google search' under location services in the phone's settings menu.
a6y8ahes.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S3?

Cyrene

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Problem fix

I just updated today to and went crazy checking things on, to see what would work lol and all that needs to be done is check the box for 'location and Google search' under location services in the phone's settings menu.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/22/a6y8ahes.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S3?

Thank you, but that isn't the issue. That has always been checked on my phone.

Sent from my EvoLte using Tapatalk 2

FifthElement

May 23, 2012
Visit site
Problem fix

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/22/a6y8ahes.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S3?
YOU'VE SOLVED IT! LOL, J/K. Get out of here with that S3 as they are exempt from the issue. When mine had the issue everything was checked in my location settings but the Google Now card still showed it was off. Google has admitted it is their fault so let's give them some time (more than a week and we should storm their headquarters, lol). But the battery issues are also an issue as I've found others with it to. I hard reset and the location issues are gone but I still have a huge battery draining from Google Play Services.

5TH

Stevan King

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem here, but mine seems a little different from what all you guys keep saying.

I have the HTC One S and everything has been working perfect up until yesterday. I was on a road trip and everything was working perfect location wise. My weather apps updated like normal, my Google Now was working fine. Was even suggesting places to eat in the city I was visiting. - On my way back home after my trip it randomly told me to turn location services on. Ever since then, it has been telling me that Location Service is Off.

The difference here, all of my actual location apps such as Maps, Now, Facebook, etc. are actually working normally. I'm getting local updates, everything is posting the right way. Not getting any error messages in any other apps to enable location services except fro Google Now.

But even when I go into Google Now, it still brings up a card that has the weather for my city, and then under it there is an additional card that says Location service is off - but when I tap on show more cards it brings up everything else as normal. Drive time to work, drive time to home, drive time to the bar I visit frequently, nearby events, and related searches that I've done lately.

Everything seems to be working perfectly - but I just can't get the card to go away that says my Location service is off.

The only other minor detail is that on my home screen on my weather clock, where it usually says my city is now showing "Current Location" instead of my city.

Other than those tiny problems, it seems everything is working fine. It's just a simple irritating fluke that I can't seem to fix, and all you guys are ballsy as hell because there is no way on earth I am factory resetting my phone. T-Mobile tried to get me to do that earlier today and I was like, you're on crack!

FifthElement

May 23, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem here, but mine seems a little different from what all you guys keep saying.

I have the HTC One S and everything has been working perfect up until yesterday. I was on a road trip and everything was working perfect location wise. My weather apps updated like normal, my Google Now was working fine. Was even suggesting places to eat in the city I was visiting. - On my way back home after my trip it randomly told me to turn location services on. Ever since then, it has been telling me that Location Service is Off.

The difference here, all of my actual location apps such as Maps, Now, Facebook, etc. are actually working normally. I'm getting local updates, everything is posting the right way. Not getting any error messages in any other apps to enable location services except fro Google Now.

But even when I go into Google Now, it still brings up a card that has the weather for my city, and then under it there is an additional card that says Location service is off - but when I tap on show more cards it brings up everything else as normal. Drive time to work, drive time to home, drive time to the bar I visit frequently, nearby events, and related searches that I've done lately.

Everything seems to be working perfectly - but I just can't get the card to go away that says my Location service is off.

The only other minor detail is that on my home screen on my weather clock, where it usually says my city is now showing "Current Location" instead of my city.

Other than those tiny problems, it seems everything is working fine. It's just a simple irritating fluke that I can't seem to fix, and all you guys are ballsy as hell because there is no way on earth I am factory resetting my phone. T-Mobile tried to get me to do that earlier today and I was like, you're on crack!
Try disabling GPS (only GPS, everything else should be checked) in Location (settings) then going into Google maps. Let us know if it find you (blue dot). If it doesn't then you have the issue, if it does find you simply try restarting the phone or resetting Google Now cache files?

5th

arpadv

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I did a restart today, and now location services seem to have started working. I tried it on Maps, Foursquare, Facebook and the Weather widget (accuweather). What I am experiencing now is, that I don't have Google Now even with all Google Play updates installed (especially Google Search updates).
As a reminder, I am on HTC One S.

kellkel

May 22, 2013
Visit site
i accidentally deleted the network location which is under the downloaded in the setting>apps>downloaded... how do i retrieve it back again?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams