Long time Windows Phone User thinking about switching to Android

Omar Zahran

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I have been using a Windows Phone since the first Samsung Focus came out. I've been through all the OS updates and generally, I enjoy the experience. There have been many reasons for me to switch to Android in the past (apps, larger screens, superior notification system, etc.), bit there has always been one thing holding me back: Xbox Music. I use my phone as my primary music player and the ability of Xbox Music to download and play offline is huge and has kept me with WP, as Android didn't have a viable option in my eyes. But now, with the introduction of Google Play Music All Access I'm starting to reconsider. What I need to know, is All Access capable of said download and offline playing ability? Because if it is, I'll be hopping on Google Play and buying a Nexus 4 lol.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
That seems to be a good question. For music that you listen to only by subscription, the answer seems to be 'no.' That's not surprising, though. The music labels would never allow you to make digital copies of music you haven't actually purchased.

For music that you own and have "uploaded* " to their service, the answer is "Yes, I think so." Google's site says this:
When you add new music to your Google Play music library, it's instantly available for listening on Android and the web. And if you're going to be offline, say on a long flight or a subway commute, you can choose music to store on your device with the Google Play Music app.

And then there's this: Hidden Track ? Technology Tuesday: A Week With Google Play Music All Access
Basics The ridiculously named service, ?Google Play Music All Access,? offers many of the same features that the other streaming services provide including access to millions of tracks, ability to download for offline use, recommendations, customized ?radio? stations, playlists...

But this site The Pros And The Cons Of Google Play Music All Access Subscription - hypebot says:

In the case of music in your Google Play account that you uploaded from a hard drive ? as in, you own the actual MP3 somewhere ? you can download those files from Google Play. (As we mentioned above, both Spotify and Google let you play those songs on your connected devices, but this is about downloading.) Because it?s also a locker service, only Google among the major music subscriptions lets you download those uploaded files. It only lets you do this to computers (i.e. not to Androids), but still, it?s a difference, and an important one to people who use lots of computers and/or still have a straight-up MP3 or CD player that doesn?t run apps.

I'm pretty sure the last site is wrong, because even the previous Play Music app would let you download music you own to the device, as explained here:

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/1250232?hl=en

* You probably already know this, but just in case: You don't actually have to "upload" all your music to Google's cloud music service. The way it works is Google will scan your music library on your PC, and any music you have that's already in its cloud is flagged as accessible to you. Any music you own that isn't already in its cloud you have the option of uploading so you can listen to it online.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I have been using a Windows Phone since the first Samsung Focus came out. I've been through all the OS updates and generally, I enjoy the experience. There have been many reasons for me to switch to Android in the past (apps, larger screens, superior notification system, etc.), bit there has always been one thing holding me back: Xbox Music. I use my phone as my primary music player and the ability of Xbox Music to download and play offline is huge and has kept me with WP, as Android didn't have a viable option in my eyes. But now, with the introduction of Google Play Music All Access I'm starting to reconsider. What I need to know, is All Access capable of said download and offline playing ability? Because if it is, I'll be hopping on Google Play and buying a Nexus 4 lol.

I roccomend trying out iOS first.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey