Can I safely uninstall Google Search?

kal1209

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
I recently updated Google search through the play store but I never got the notification that it was successfully installed. I was looking to either uninstall and reinstall it or clean the app data if it's safe to do so but don't know if I should. Any advice? Thank you. I have the 2013 Nexus 7 tablet if that information is pertinent.

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Just go to Google Play on your device, and do a search for Google Search. Select it, and see if it says "Open" or "Update." If it says "Open," you're up to date.

If you want to be sure, you should be able to "Uninstall Updates" from that same screen, then Update again. You shouldn't lose your search history.

kal1209

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Just go to Google Play on your device, and do a search for Google Search. Select it, and see if it says "Open" or "Update." If it says "Open," you're up to date.

If you want to be sure, you should be able to "Uninstall Updates" from that same screen, then Update again. You shouldn't lose your search history.

All I see is "open" and "uninstall". No option to uninstall updates.

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh sorry, you're right--it says "Uninstall," rather than "Uninstall Updates." The latter is how it looks in the Settings/Apps menu.

Tapping Uninstall won't remove it--it will simply uninstall all of the updates and revert it to the original version that came with the phone.

John Afolabi

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Are you rooted, if you are, just search for Root App Delete in the play store, uninstall Google search using that app

Sent from my GT-P7500 using AC Forums mobile app

apastrophe

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Rooted phones offer you the functionality to uninstall unnecessary system / default apps. Sadly, you can't uninstall google search without rooting.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kthompson9705kt