Email Syncing Problem

underdog1924

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I just switched to the Galaxy S4 from an iPhone. I'm still figuring it out but am happy so far. The only issue I'm having right now is with email syncing. I only want the email app to check my email accounts when I tell it to and have set all syncing options that I can find to manual. The phone still notifies me each time I have an email. This seems like it is going out every so often and checking my accounts, wasting battery and data. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

angry mustache

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Are you using the stock email app, or a dedicated app like Gmail or Outlook? If it is the stock app, make sure both peak and non-peak schedules are set for manual, and the notification option is not checked.

underdog1924

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Are you using the stock email app, or a dedicated app like Gmail or Outlook? If it is the stock app, make sure both peak and non-peak schedules are set for manual, and the notification option is not checked.

It's the stock email app. I had the peak and non-peak set for manual but the notification option was checked. I just shut it off, hopefully that solves the problem. Thanks for your help.

angry mustache

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
If that does not do it, check your account settings and see if it is set to exchange active sync, or pop/imap. It may require removing the account, then setting it back up. I have a couple accounts set in my stock app, and do not get notifications for either unless I manually check them.

underdog1924

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
If that does not do it, check your account settings and see if it is set to exchange active sync, or pop/imap. It may require removing the account, then setting it back up. I have a couple accounts set in my stock app, and do not get notifications for either unless I manually check them.

Will try that...still getting notifications. What should it be set to to stop the notifications? One account is my gmail, the other is my work that I set up manually.

underdog1924

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Will try that...still getting notifications. What should it be set to to stop the notifications? One account is my gmail, the other is my work that I set up manually.

Just deleted the accounts and checked off the option "notify me of email". Never saw that as an option when the accounts were already going.

angry mustache

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I have an email account set up through the IMAP server. Attached are screen shots of how it is set up. Open the email app, tap the menu button, then tap settings, and the account you want to work with. That should bring up a screen similar to the first image. Make sure the notification check box is not checked, but the sync box is. Tap "sync schedule". That should bring up a screen similar to the second image. Change the sync settings to manual, and tell the phone to use the same settings for both peak and off-peak times.

Hope this helps. If it does not, I am at a loss. Perhaps someone else here will have another idea.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-09-09-16-53-01.png
    Screenshot_2013-09-09-16-53-01.png
    102.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_2013-09-09-16-53-09.png
    Screenshot_2013-09-09-16-53-09.png
    104.7 KB · Views: 11

Ed Walzer

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Hello

I had same problem on my s3. Open gmail app not email app go to settings and uncheck notifications. Hope this helps.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmitrbol