iPhone 5S fingerprint sensor is ill-disposed to sweat

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I hope you don't need to unlock your i5s on a rainy day outside. Another reason the finger print sensor on the 2011 Motorola Atrix 4G was a failure;

The fingerprint scanner on Apple's new iPhone 5S is being heralded as the most innovative feature on the latest model of the company's smartphone. However, Apple has admitted that its "Touch ID" sensor isn't exactly perfect -- namely, it doesn't like sweaty fingers.

Company testers have discovered that the Touch ID sensor will not always respond to fingertips coated in sweat, lotion, or other liquids, an Apple spokesperson told The Wall Street Journal.

Besides fluids, the scanner also doesn't seem to like fingertips with scars. However, the company spokesperson told the Journal that this issue is easily solvable by using another finger on the scanner.

Last edited:

mysticmeg

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I hope you don't need to unlock your i5s on a rainy day outside. Another reason the finger print sensor on the 2011 Motorola Atrix 4G was a failure;

The fingerprint scanner on Apple's new iPhone 5S is being heralded as the most innovative feature on the latest model of the company's smartphone. However, Apple has admitted that its "Touch ID" sensor isn't exactly perfect -- namely, it doesn't like sweaty fingers.

Company testers have discovered that the Touch ID sensor will not always respond to fingertips coated in sweat, lotion, or other liquids, an Apple spokesperson told The Wall Street Journal.

Besides fluids, the scanner also doesn't seem to like fingertips with scars. However, the company spokesperson told the Journal that this issue is easily solvable by using another finger on the scanner.

Pretty pointless me getting the new iPhone then haha my fingers and hands are always majority of the time drenched in sweat. Not that I was gunna spend my cash on a iPhone that looks exactly like the first iPhone four lmfao

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I would have guessed that the normal password could be used on the i5s if your finger was too wet or you cut your finger to unlock the phone. Then I saw this that makes it sound like you better have several fingers as backup to unlock that phone.;

One important aspect of the Touch ID system is that the passcode must be used to unlock the phone if the device is rebooted or hasn't been unlocked and 48 hours. With all that said, the iPhone fingerprint scanner doesn't work perfectly. For instance, testers have said that the device doesn't work well if your fingers are damp from sweat, water, or lotion.

iPhone 5S Fingerprint Scanner Details Surface; Sweaty Fingers Not Allowed

Maria Esponoza

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
He said touch id is "easy and fun to do!" Im laughing so hard... Man, I just cant get enough setting up this fingerprint reader. I know right, lets clear it and do it again!

fillmore.east

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site

I mean... you would just unlock it like you would unlock any other phone if that were the case...

The problem with the fingerprint sensor on the Atrix was that... 1) it was finicky and just didn't work that well and 2) it was placed in an inconvenient position that made you go out of the way to use it.