those of you who would use an iphone if it came with a bigger screen, click this thread

John Flud

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I made a similar thread at imore but I'm curious what folks over here will have to say.

Now I want a bigger screen too, because its hard to read the tiny print with my bad eyes. I'm sick of squinting. but I like apples OS and ecosystem. and I love the 5S with exception of the screen.

Now I hear iOS7 will have something called dynamic print that will supposedly make all the print easy to read (assuming it works right and apps adopt it). this would negate the large screen issue for me. I just want to be able to read the device without squinting. if dynamic print fixes this, I'm a happy camper. I can't wait to try it.

So I'm curious. the rest of you wanting larger screens is it for readability like me or some other reasons? if iOS 7 Dynamic print works well would you be satisfied as I will be? would it make you come back and join us on the darkside? any of you who tried beta versions of iOS 7, have you tried dynamic print?

I look forward to your replies.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
A larger screen for both readability and gaming purposes is only half the reason I avoid the iPhone. The other reason is the locked down OS. I don't mind it on my iPad, but I want more flexability in a mobile device that leaves the house more. I want to be able to personalize it more. Apps like Tasker or Llama are important to me. I like that my phone can adapt itself to different locations automatically with dozens upon dozens of customizable things. I like that I can change the keyboard out. Or the dialer. Or the text messaging app. Or the launcher. I like that i can change the look and feel of all of that. I like that I don't have to turn the phone on to see if I have any notifications. (Why Apple has no light or anything is beyond me...that would drive me crazy).

It's all about usability and for me at least, I find Android better in that regard. While screen size would be a huge help, it won't solve all my other issues with iOS.

lwlamar

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I would love a bigger screen and am due for an upgrade. Currently, I'm looking at these android phones: Droid Maxx, G2, HTC One, Moto X and S4. I don't think I want to go as big as the Note 2 or 3 although I like the idea of eliminating the need for a separate tablet device. I love the large battery and soft touch back cover of the Maxx, but it is pricey at $299. I'm curious about the G2 but it is definitely a big piece of plastic like the S4 and IMO the S4 feels better in the hand, especially the white one which doesn't seem as slippery. The HTC One sale at Best Buy also provides temptation but I worry about the battery life and it has been out the longest of all these devices. If my iPhone 5 had a 4.7" to 5.0" screen, I'm pretty sure I'd be satisfied to stick with it and enjoy iOS 7 when it comes out tomorrow but since iOS 7 will not give me better battery life or a larger screen, I'm not sure if that will do it for me. Just my fifteen cents.

GadgetgirL76

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I loved the 3gs but left because I really like a big screen for gaming, watching YouTube videos and movies. If the next iPhone has at least a 5 inch screen, I am all over it!!

sent from my AT&T GN2

snowdroid83

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
If it was 4.5 inches is buy it without thought. In currently mulling over changing my nexus 4 to a 5s, but I'm going to wait and see what kit kat has to offer first

Posted via Android Central App on my buggy Nexus 4 running 4.3

GeekMoxie

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I am so vested in the ecosystem I would absolutely consider buying the iPhone with a bigger screen. One of the things holding me back.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I am so vested in the ecosystem I would absolutely consider buying the iPhone with a bigger screen. One of the things holding me back.

I think that is what frustrates me the most about Apple. They move too slow on things. They've been suposedly working on a TV for years. They dragged their feet on making the iphone even a little bit bigger for the iphone 5. They drag their feet on making it bigger yet, though most would agree that they will enventually do so. In the meanwhile, they lose sales because of it. I don't get it.

They could have no doubt had my business right from the very start if their first IPhone had been larger, handn't been stuck on AT&T and edge, and had a flash for the camera. Instead they expected people to take pics only during the day, squint at a small screen, and deal with slow data speeds. So from day one they pushed me to seek out other alternatives when they could have had my business. And they have continued to do so year after year as they slowly have addressed my issues one by one but left others untouched. The pace of a glacier in a fast paced industry. Strange.

I'm glad they are pushing the envelope with other things, like 64 bit and fingerpint scanners, but all the foot dragging over basic stuff is a bit of a head scratcher to me. That being siad, they are getting closer with each generation. But it's taken them many years to do so. Years that they haven't had me as a mobile phone customer. And it just may be too late now to ever get me. A real missed opportunity.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I think that is what frustrates me the most about Apple. They move too slow on things. They've been suposedly working on a TV for years. They dragged their feet on making the iphone even a little bit bigger for the iphone 5. They drag their feet on making it bigger yet, though most would agree that they will enventually do so. In the meanwhile, they lose sales because of it. I don't get it.

They could have no doubt had my business right from the very start if their first IPhone had been larger, handn't been stuck on AT&T and edge, and had a flash for the camera. Instead they expected people to take pics only during the day, squint at a small screen, and deal with slow data speeds. So from day one they pushed me to seek out other alternatives when they could have had my business. And they have continued to do so year after year as they slowly have addressed my issues one by one but left others untouched. The pace of a glacier in a fast paced industry. Strange.

I'm glad they are pushing the envelope with other things, like 64 bit and fingerpint scanners, but all the foot dragging over basic stuff is a bit of a head scratcher to me. That being siad, they are getting closer with each generation. But it's taken them many years to do so. Years that they haven't had me as a mobile phone customer. And it just may be too late now to ever get me. A real missed opportunity.

They aren't dragging anything. My dad had issues with iOS 7 a bit because it looked different. They don't wanna drag tech but they can't just suddenly make such a massive change that people don't know how to use the iPhone.

Posted via Android Central App

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
They aren't dragging anything. My dad had issues with iOS 7 a bit because it looked different. They don't wanna drag tech but they can't just suddenly make such a massive change that people don't know how to use the iPhone.

What the hell? i certainly hope you are joking. Making a screen larger is going to make people not know how to use a phone? People didn't know how to use a camera flash so that had to wait? None of the issues I have had...not a single one...applies to what you just stated. And Control Center should not have taken that long either. It's much harder from a learning curve POV to find the settings buried in the settings menu, then to just pull things up from the bottom of the screen.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
What the hell? i certainly hope you are joking. Making a screen larger is going to make people not know how to use a phone? People didn't know how to use a camera flash so that had to wait? None of the issues I have had...not a single one...applies to what you just stated. And Control Center should not have taken that long either. It's much harder from a learning curve POV to find the settings buried in the settings menu, then to just pull things up from the bottom of the screen.

Sorry I thought you meant something else. Yeah I badly want a bigger screen( go have a look at my iMore posts, I really want a bigger screen iPhone.

MrBungle999

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes. They were a game ahead at first now a game behind. Screen size would be great but a simple toggle to turn on WiFi took this long??

Sent from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz