Will the Droid RAZR M receive this update?

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
It's Verizon. Even phones that started shipping this summer may not get 4.4, or at least not until months after other carriers.

purplehaze50o

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I work for Verizon and I can say right off the bat that the Droid Razr M will never see 4.2.2 let alone 4.3...For a fact...Verizon cut all support through both Motorola and Google when the new droid series came out. The only hope this phone has is now in the developer community.

RevLauren

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Verizon is so incredibly frustrating. Been a customer for 14 years and if it weren't for the fact that their coverage really is better than anyone else's, I would drop them. They are invariably the last to roll out OTAs, the last to adopt leading edge devices, and the first to milk customers for every dime. There is no valid rationale to skip updating the RAZR M... they just don't give a damn about it.

purplehaze50o

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Verizon is so incredibly frustrating. Been a customer for 14 years and if it weren't for the fact that their coverage really is better than anyone else's, I would drop them. They are invariably the last to roll out OTAs, the last to adopt leading edge devices, and the first to milk customers for every dime. There is no valid rationale to skip updating the RAZR M... they just don't give a damn about it.

If you think the razr m not getting an update is bad think about all the poor sorry HTC droid incredible 4g LTE owners out there that were promised by both Verizon and HTC that they would get jellybean yet are still running ICS. The Incredible 4g LTE is more than capable and is just over a year old but has not had any significant updates....This is why I tell all my customers to advoid exclusives and go with the most popular devices because its guarenteed at least 2 major updates

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
If you think the razr m not getting an update is bad think about all the poor sorry HTC droid incredible 4g LTE owners out there that were promised by both Verizon and HTC that they would get jellybean yet are still running ICS. The Incredible 4g LTE is more than capable and is just over a year old but has not had any significant updates....This is why I tell all my customers to advoid exclusives and go with the most popular devices because its guarenteed at least 2 major updates

So I guess the Droid Maxx should not be my next phone...

Posted from the awesome new Nexus 7

purplehaze50o

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
So I guess the Droid Maxx should not be my next phone...

Depends on your needs...I purchased the droid maxx at full retail price because I NEED battery life to last over a day....If you don't need 48 hour battery life and a bigger screen doesn't matter go with the Moto X. But I can tell one you one thing a Moto X will be first to get updates were as the droid line will be behind. Not too far. But behind. For example look at the camera update. Has already been pushed for the Moto X. Not yet for the Droid Line. We just did a seminar on the 4.4 KitKat for the Moto X this morning meaning within the next month the Moto X will get that update. So if you need the latest and greatest updates go with the Moto X. If you need Battery go with the Maxx

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I work for Verizon and I can say right off the bat that the Droid Razr M will never see 4.2.2 let alone 4.3...For a fact...Verizon cut all support through both Motorola and Google when the new droid series came out. The only hope this phone has is now in the developer community.

Can you please clarify what you mean here?

purplehaze50o

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Meaning that Verizon Wireless engineers will not be compiling anything else for this device. So whatever the next update you get will be the last update Verizon officially has.

purplehaze50o

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
this post was my sole reason of switching my want from the Maxx to the Moto X...i will be getting one in the next few days

Im am not being biased or anything I have the Droid Maxx and absolutely love it. But is is the truth I don't have expectations that beyond Kitkat this phone will EVER get another update. Although sometimes i wish i had the moto x when I see the crappy capacitive buttons on my maxx

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I hate to say it, but I have pretty much given up on Verizon. I have really enjoyed my Nexus tablets, and when my VZW contract is up in April I'm making the switch for the N5 and AT&T. I have gotten tired of rooting and ROMs, and I really like the low amount of bloatware on the Nexus devices, and the fast OTA updates.

purplehaze50o

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Will Razr HD share same fate?

As far as I know the Razr HD will be getting Kitkat android 4.4...But the problem is don't expect even a SOAK test till next spring. I know that Verizon was passing certification for android 4.2.2 in August. But then the update was pulled. Verizon engineers only do this when they want to bump up an update and at the time 4.3 got released. I haven't seen any certifications go through since then so the Razr HD is definitely on track for either 4.3 or 4.4 but to be honest by the time the update gets pushed out more than likely the Razr HD will suffer severe RAM degeneration and be awfully unstable. Motorola used a very cheap carrier for there memory in the Razr HD the same company that supplied Memory for the TI Based SoC OG Razr's. So this is like a double edge sword. You will get your latest and FINAL update but most likely not be able to run it properly. The Razr HD's only hope is that it will get the KitKat update that will utilize the less memory optimized applications.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084