Best SMS options with 4.4?

MetalMike901

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi all!

Now that in 4.4 you can use any SMS app, although hangouts will be default, I'm curious what are seen as the best SMS app alternatives out there? I've only really used the stock messenger on the N4 and use Hangouts for video mainly. If hangouts isn't the best SMS client, which should I look at. I've seen GoSms, Handcent, etc as popular alternatives in the play store.

Thanks!

Posted via Android Central App on my white Nexus 4 with StraightTalk

ethertwist

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I've been using Chomp as my SMS since I switched from an iPhone to an N4. It's a clean, simple and straightforward interface and for an android novice like myself, it's been perfect!
:)

BrandonEnr7

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Although I would probably stay with Hangouts, I would probably look at Handcent as I used it in the past. It has been quite a while though since I used it so not sure what it has to offer as of late.

Posted via Android Central App

Chughes13xX

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I love what's being done with hangouts. If they can integrate sms and hangouts (from the same person) into one thread like iMessage, it will certainly be hard to beat.

JB802

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
To the guys using Chomp, check out Textra, its the new project by the same developers, and it was my favorite client, by far... i think Chomp is going to be abandonded... I took a wild shot on the verizon messages app and was floored when it was actually awesome... so that's my current go to for sms and mms, it handles group messeging and attachments better than any other client, almost as good as iMessage... though textra was damn good too...

I used to use handcent, but found it dated.... and there are better options