ART vs. Dalvik cache: Are you seeing a performance difference?

Ted Leung

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Battery life still horrible on the Nexus 4. I'd love it if it has the Samsung feature of capping the clock speed

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Buffster5505

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I've only had my N7 2013 32gb WiFi since Monday and I was impressed by the way it handled itself. Yesterday I switched to ART and now I'm WOW'ed. I can honestly compare it to the smoothness and responsiveness of my wife's iPad mini. Chrome is like day and night. Most of all my apps show a noticeable difference. NextIssue magazines are smooth. None of my apps are crashing. Went from a beautiful tablet to the BEST tablet out there.

Cannot, for the time being, elaborate on battery difference, but before ART I was getting very good results. Let's hope ART has improved on that also.

Happy Camper

B

edit: Sorry, one of my apps did crash. Quadrant Standard crashed ( gave an error )the first two attempts, but on the third it went all the way. Results went from low 5000's to low 8000's.

Antutu actually went from low 20000's to mid 19000's

sonarman

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I made the switch. Response is much quicker. Only one app has issues and that is twc app which is poorly written anyway

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Cincybearcatfan

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I liked ART better but I noticed I couldn't upload pics to facebook. Anyone else have this problem?

I have that problem! I updated to ART today and had NO IDEA why I couldn't upload pictures to Facebook anymore. Is that why? That sucks. I had to tweet photos and they were added to Facebook that way. Is there any way to fix this? I uninstalled and reinstalled Facebook and it didn't work.

Buffster5505

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Although I'm really enjoying ART on my Nexus 7 2013, I can't say the same on my Canadian BellMobility HTC One.

Just got the 4.4.2 upgrade today, the option for ART vs Dalvik is nowhere to be found in the BellMobility Firmware.

Just wished BellMobility would leave things alone and just stick to their Bloatware and leave firmware options alone.

ART rocks

B

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Definitely not placebo on Nexus 7. Both app starting and app switching are substantially faster using ART.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I just switched to ART on the N4. There are a few spots where I feel like I see a small difference, but overall I wouldn't tell anyone they had to switch. On the other hand, it's certainly not worse, so there's no harm trying it out, especially since reverting is so painless.

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I have a question. I have a couple of apps that aren't loading with ART enable (Pizza Boy, Kingdom Rush), and was wondering if those apps will have to be updated to work, or do I have to wait for an update to Android from Google?

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Almost certainly the former. If it's important to you, contact the app developers. If you can't live without them in the meantime, you'll have to revert to dalvik.

Yaki Forto

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Can someone give me a brief rundown of the difference between art and dalvik? I just switched to art on my moto x and I can definitely feel a difference switching between apps that are open. But if the app is opening from a cold state it seems to definitely take longer than with dalvik. Facebook is painfully slow for example. I tend to close apps after I'm done using them...is that dumb? Is android efficient enough to not need to do that? If so, than I'll definitely stay on art!

Posted via Android Central App
android is efficeint enough to control them(2gbs is more than enough) but from my opinion I don't recommend keeping them open.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084