Android 4.4.2 for Nexus 4

Steve51

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I missed out on 4.4.1 on my Nexus 4 and got 4.4.2 (build KOT49H ) this evening at 2150 GMT. At first glance I can't see any changes from 4.4

boostm3

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
When I received the OTA update from jellybean to KitKat a couple of weeks ago, I didnt install it because I had read of too many issues with the OTA update, and didnt want to have to reset my phone just to make it functional again.. Now that KitKat 4.4.2 is rolling out, rumor is that perhaps one of the bug fixes has to do with stabilizing the OTA update.

Question is, can I get KitKat 4.4.2 pushed to me ota without having installed the initial version of KitKat?

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
At this point, I'm starting to get used to / good at the fastboot/adb process for updating to 4.4 and then upgrading to 4.4.1 and then 4.4.2. The battery drain issue is definitely gone as of 4.4.1, and so far 4.4.2 seems OK.

Steve51

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
For the first 24 hours all seemed well. However today I charged the battery up to 80% then left it on standby and it fell to 40% within 2 hours. I then switched on the screen and it went from 40% to 22% in 15 minutes. The battery charging graph in settings shows an almost vertical dip. When I put the phone on charge it went up 1% every 15 seconds or so, then when it reached 35% the charge seems to rise at a more familiar (slower) rate. My phone is a standard Nexus 4 - never had problems before.

boostm3

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday, I took a chance and accepted the OTA upgrade from JB to KK 4 on my Nexus 4. Went seemlessly, everything seems to be working well, and so far Im happy with the update. Glad Ive experienced none of the bugs some others were afflicted with . Now, just waiting for KK 4.4.2 to be pushed in my direction.

rtshoff

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Noticed substantially quicker battery drain when enabling GPS with KK 4.4.2. There are some new toggle options for the GPS/Location settings on the Power Control widget. Seems to cycle between fully on and some sort of low battery usage mode. However...to turn GPS off you have to go to the settings menu for GPS/Location. Not sure if this is a bug with the power control widget...or this is meant to work this way. Maybe this is just a way to make GPS/Location running all the time. I like to be able to turn it off when i absolutely don't need it.

Crisdean

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
I noticed that 4.4.2 triggered tons of apps to be updated. Makes me wonder if it's got to do with a better ART integration.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I noticed that 4.4.2 triggered tons of apps to be updated. Makes me wonder if it's got to do with a better ART integration.
I've seen posts indicating that various apps have been working better with ART on 4.4.2. I'm not sure if that means Google did anything with ART between 4.4 & 4.4.2, or if it's just a coincidence.

Steve51

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Since I reported this, everything has returned to normal. I suspect that I might have found a possible cause. I live in the UK and switched to BT broadband about six weeks ago. I opted in to share my broadband and also recently installed the BT wifi app on my phone. I noticed that the wifi on the phone seemed to hunt for the best signal and kept dropping my router SSID for BT-Fon. Also the range of my wifi seemed to drop around the house.

So, I removed the app and there was no improvement. I then opted out (via my PC) from the shared broadband facility. BT advises that it takes about 24-48 hours to switch it off. So, for about 24 hours I still had strange problems and I could see via the wifi analyser app that the two signals were there (and of equal amplitude).
However, 24 hours later the BT-Fon signal disappeared (BT had obviously switched it off) and at that point my wireless range improved and the Nexus 4 became stable again and the battery discharge is normal again.

I wonder whether the app broke some internal settings (battery and wifi) and I'd be interested to know if that strikes a cord with anybody.

Daniel Mueller1

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
I have the 4.4.2 update installed on my Nexus 4, but when I start the phone I sometimes get a black screen and need to hold down the start button to turn phone off and then re-boot. Any idea what might be causing this?