05-03-2018 06:28 PM
27 12
tools
    And it's grayed out so I can't add an account.

The phone is signed into my Google account. At least I think it is - it's rather confusing how many different things the phone can be signed into.

(In retrospect, I think this is more of a KitKat question than Nexus question, sorry for cross posting)
    12-16-2013 10:32 AM
    Did you input your gmail address when you set it up?
    12-16-2013 11:15 AM
    Well, I'm getting mail from gmail using the stock gmail app, so yes, the phone knows my gmail account.

I also seemed to be signed in to Google Now, Google+, Google Hangouts, etc. so I don't understand why it isn't signed into an account for backup.
    12-16-2013 02:15 PM
    That is not what I asked you though. During setup did you specifically enter your gmail address when it asked? It would have been followed by asking you if you wanted to download all your apps to the device.
    12-16-2013 02:48 PM
    I don't remember (so maybe not), and this is my first Android device, so I didn't have any existing apps to download
    12-16-2013 03:11 PM
    Then I would say do a factory reset and start all over.
    12-16-2013 04:06 PM
    You're kidding right? It must be eaier than that
    12-16-2013 05:24 PM
    Check Settings.... Accounts.... Google... See if everything is signed in and syncing

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
    12-16-2013 05:37 PM
    You're kidding right? It must be eaier than that
    You said you do not have any existing apps to worry about. There is nothing difficult about a reset. I missed the sign in the first day I got the device and did a reset the next day. It was painless.
    12-17-2013 10:20 AM
    You said you do not have any existing apps to worry about. There is nothing difficult about a reset. I missed the sign in the first day I got the device and did a reset the next day. It was painless.
    I didn't then, now I have tons of apps installed.

But I still don't understand what KitKat is trying to tell me by graying out that option ("Backup Account") when the option above it ("Back up my data") is not grayed out and checked. And that says "Back up app data, Wi-Fi passwprds, and other settings to Google servers". So what is the other "Backup account" actually supposed to back up? Is it something different or does it means my backups are going into a black hole?
    12-17-2013 12:27 PM
    "Backup account" indicates the account you want backed up. "Back up my data" is all of the app data, passwords and settings on the phone. While "Backup my account" may be greyed out to you, is there an account listed? If not, any backups are useless and I strongly suggest that you do a factory reset. If anything was backed up at all you will have an opportunity to restore it later. If not, then it really doesn't matter anyway.

In settings/accounts.............. what is listed?
    12-17-2013 03:17 PM

In settings/accounts............. what is listed?
    Corporate
    Google
    IMAP
    If I click the Google account, I see my Google account which says it successfully synced recently
    If I click that, I see all the things it is syncing (App data, calendar, Chrome, etc.)
    12-17-2013 03:33 PM
    I really think your only option is a factory reset. I do not see any other way.

Last thought: Go into settings/apps/all/google account manager and clear cache and data.

Then: settings/apps/all/google backup transport and do the same.

Then: Google One time Init and cache.

These are just educated guesses. If it were my phone i would just reset it.
    hankee62 likes this.
    12-17-2013 03:50 PM
    Your last post gave me an idea, just try rebooting - that fixed it (Doh! ).

Not sure why it fixed it, I have rebooted several times since setting up the phone. But whatever, it should be happy now. Maybe this is the first manual reboot after the auto reboot after it updated to 4.4.2. which would make this a, errm, bug.
    12-17-2013 04:34 PM
    Glad things worked out for you. I turn my phone off every night so I sometimes just don't think of suggesting a reboot.
    12-18-2013 10:03 AM

Last thought: Go into settings/apps/all/google account manager and clear cache and data.

I have same problem also, thank you so much for your help, I'm quite sure that I skipped the first step when I have to submit my backup account, now the problem solved
    01-05-2014 01:42 AM
    I had a nexus 4 for months, now i need to give it back and i was searching for a backup solution.

The set backup option was greyed out.

The last months i had several reboots because of a strange error (something blocked the screen from turning on, i couldnt receive calls, but the notifications led was working) so i had a lot of resets BUT not a single manual reboot.

I rebooted the phone and now, the backup account is set!

Thanks for the suggestion!

Posted via Android Central App
    02-12-2014 01:09 AM
    Had the same problem. This fixed it
    02-12-2014 08:47 AM
    I have the same problem. I tried to reboot my nexus 5 but the option to set in an account to backup my data is still grayed out.

Any thoughts?
    06-20-2014 10:23 AM
    ALL PEOPLE WHO HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM PLEASE READ THIS!

I had the same problem and it's very simple to solve it, just go to Settings, Data Usage, open the options menu (on the right top of the screen) and press Auto-sync data, then reboot your device and the problem is solved, took me a good half an hour to solve it. Android rookie.
    gr8ladyh likes this.
    08-27-2014 10:12 PM

fantastic!
    just did all that, rebooted the device and boom! asked me for a backup account
    09-16-2014 07:16 PM
    fantastic!
    just did all that, rebooted the device and boom! asked me for a backup account
    I just bought my first Android device (Lenovo-tablet) and had this same problem and was fixed like this too. Though if I click the account name again in the backup settings, it loses the account and the same "no account" text will be displayed again. Seems like a bug...
    10-25-2014 08:41 AM
    I have a problem related to train_depot's scenario. I have 3 Android devices, acquired in this order:

1 A Samsung tablet that was set up to backup to my Google/gmail account and the back up and restore checkboxes are both checked.

2. Smartphone #1, that I'm getting rid of and need to retrieve everything from and transfer it to smartphone #2. I apparently did not set up the Google/gmail backup account, because although the check boxes are checked, the "Backup account" is greyed out and reads "No account is currently storing backed up data", but I had not noticed it until now.

3. Smartphone #2, to replace #1 after everything is transferred. I did set up the Google/gmail backup account using the same gmail account I used for the tablet and the one I erroneously thought I had set up on smartphone #1 but had not. After the setup wizard completed, all the apps and stuff from my tablet downloaded onto smartphone #2...not good. So I think I need to do a factory reset to restore it to factory status.

I have only one gmail/google account.

Here are my questions:
    A. If I can get the Google/gmail backup account working on smartphone #1, will Google just comingle that info with the backup data from my Samsung tablet and create a bigger mess?

B. Then, after I factory reset smartphone #2, will it just restore backup info from Samsung tablet AND smartphone #1, and create an even bigger mess than I have now?

To put this another way....if I back up multiple devices using the Backup & reset functions all under ONE GOOGLE/GMAIL account, is the backup function smart enough to distinguish which data goes to which device or will it just lump everything together?

I think the answer is no, that it will just comingle everything, since it has already restored my tablet data to my smartphone #2, but maybe I'm missing something here.

Or is the correct way to get separate Google/gmail accounts for each device?

It never dawned on me that Google would not parse and separate data by device, since devices seem to be able to recognize other devices by name.
    09-16-2015 12:15 AM
    Bumping old thread here. I'm on a HTC 10. The fix didn't work for me. Any one have suggestions?
    10-04-2016 03:40 AM
    ALL PEOPLE WHO HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM PLEASE READ THIS!

I had the same problem and it's very simple to solve it, just go to Settings, Data Usage, open the options menu (on the right top of the screen) and press Auto-sync data, then reboot your device and the problem is solved, took me a good half an hour to solve it. Android rookie.
    This solution worked for me, thanks Antonio Portugal1! Talk about rookie... I didn't even see this option in data settings at first, and thought this wouldn't work for me. Alas data settings>>navicon menu button (hamburger) opened some hidden options and lo-and-behold... There WAS the check box to auto-sync data! After a reboot my Google account info was there and no longer greyed out!
    01-19-2017 02:22 AM
27 12