Why do Web videos play better on iOS than android?

CeasarNY

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm a new Android user. I've been using the Galaxy Note 3 for the last 2 months but I still have my iPhone 5. Something that I've noticed is that a lot of videos that play on ios don't play on android. And if I can play the video on my Android then the video is much more laggy and not as clear than on my iPhone 5. These are regular websites like sports websites (nhl, nba, espn etc) or Team Stream app/website, or random other sites that have videos for mobile devices. Sometimes (with my Android) on sites, the video shows the play button, but the video still doesn't play. I don't understand this because on my iPhone 5 the videos play perfectly, load much quicker, play and look smoother, and just look more clear. Can anyone help with this? Or is this just something that android lacks in its OS?

Posted via Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Don't know what's wrong with your phone, mine plays everything just fine and yes, makes iPhones look silly with their tiny screens (Sorry, your post sounds like iOS spam, so I had to respond accordingly on instinct, I apologize hehe). That being said, I do know that some sites 'switch' to Quicktime format for iOS and regular HTML5 or Flash-based video for other platforms. The problem with Flash is that, as you may know, it's no longer supported on Android (unless you manually install the APK and use very specific browsers, and still you're in for a buggy experience), so that might be why there's a difference. But again, I've used mine with tons of sites with video and, except for those that default to Flash, all others play just fine and with great video quality (provided my connection is good, too).

CeasarNY

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Don't know what's wrong with your phone, mine plays everything just fine and yes, makes iPhones look silly with their tiny screens (Sorry, your post sounds like iOS spam, so I had to respond accordingly on instinct, I apologize hehe). That being said, I do know that some sites 'switch' to Quicktime format for iOS and regular HTML5 or Flash-based video for other platforms. The problem with Flash is that, as you may know, it's no longer supported on Android (unless you manually install the APK and use very specific browsers, and still you're in for a buggy experience), so that might be why there's a difference. But again, I've used mine with tons of sites with video and, except for those that default to Flash, all others play just fine and with great video quality (provided my connection is good, too).

No I'm not spamming lol. I actually love the screen size of my Note 3 (one of the reasons I bought it). But I am realizing a difference in some Internet videos. It's annoying me a little because I wanna throw away my iPhone but I still need it for situations like this and others like FaCetime, imessage, and to play to my apple TV. I wish I could upload a video here showing the difference in how much better smooth quality video my iPhone 5 displays. And as soon as u load the video, it plays right away (I'm using hi speed wifi at my house) I do have Adobe flash installed but it only works with a few browsers. And I'm using the stock Browser to view Internet videos so I don't think it should affect the video quality but I really hope it is a setting or something I have to configure.
This is another website I just tried and the video didn't work but worked perfect on my iPhone :
http://teamstre.am/1gEXoSi
Can u let me know if or works for u and what type of phone are u using?
Thanks much

CeasarNY

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
You'll need a flash plugin. :)

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

I do have flash installed but this issue should have nothing to do with Flash. U shouldn't need flash to view regular HTML5 videos. Luke I said these videos play perfectly on my iPhone 5 which does not have flash. The Galaxy Note 3 is a very powerful phone in hardware so I'm really starting to think it's the android OS itself

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
No I'm not spamming lol. I actually love the screen size of my Note 3 (one of the reasons I bought it). But I am realizing a difference in some Internet videos. It's annoying me a little because I wanna throw away my iPhone but I still need it for situations like this and others like FaCetime, imessage, and to play to my apple TV. I wish I could upload a video here showing the difference in how much better smooth quality video my iPhone 5 displays. And as soon as u load the video, it plays right away (I'm using hi speed wifi at my house) I do have Adobe flash installed but it only works with a few browsers. And I'm using the stock Browser to view Internet videos so I don't think it should affect the video quality but I really hope it is a setting or something I have to configure.
This is another website I just tried and the video didn't work but worked perfect on my iPhone :
http://teamstre.am/1gEXoSi
Can u let me know if or works for u and what type of phone are u using?
Thanks much

As stated by others, this is a flash issue. Try FlashFox browser. The video played fine using it on GS2 Skyrocket.

gburlyman

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
First post so go easy on me ;) .Have you tried MX Player it should load the correct drivers for your phone. I also use Opera "BETA" HTML 5 & Flash work very well.
Be sure and turn off "off road" mode in settings after install.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
First post so go easy on me ;) .Have you tried MX Player it should load the correct drivers for your phone. I also use Opera "BETA" HTML 5 & Flash work very well.

Welcome to Android Central! :D

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

CeasarNY

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
[quoted post deleted by moderator]

Well that is uncalled for. I'm trying to understand the new phone I purchased and was wondering if someone can clear up an issue I was having. Just because u don't know the answer to my question pertaining to Android OS, no need to jump straight to that conclusion

Last edited by a moderator:

CeasarNY

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site

Yes I do have MX player installed and I like it. But the issue I'm having is not pertaining to videos that give u the option to use another player, it is videos that use the stock Android player. ie. When I'm on Team Stream BR app or something and the video doesn't give u the option to play it with other players

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Well that is uncalled for. I'm trying to understand the new phone I purchased and was wondering if someone can clear up an issue I was having. Just because u don't know the answer to my question pertaining to Android OS, no need to jump straight to that conclusion

I didn't mean it unkindly. Often, posters find they'd really rather stick with Apple, and I may have misread you as being among them. But I did answer your question. You need a browser with a flash plugin, not just flash installed on your device. Others gave some good suggestions as to browsers you could try. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
OK, so I see what you're seeing... and sorry for all the posters saying you need flash, you need flash, even though you said more than once that you DO have flash and I agree, that shouldn't be the issue. HOWEVER, HTML5 video, at least in the link you provided, is probably not it either.

So, the page you sent opens up a video IN FLASH if you open it on a PC browser (also, if you request the Desktop version from a mobile one), so if you don't have the Flash plugin available, it won't play. What I don't get is why, when opening the mobile version, the page displays the video but it never loads. In iOS these videos are always switched to QuickTime, so that's probably why you have no issues seeing this on an iPhone, but still don't know why the switch is not being done properly on our phones to HTML5 (maybe it's not even available?).

I just tried CNet TV and it works fine on my Note 3, and I am 100% sure that the video from the very same site switches to QuickTime when viewed on an iPhone or iPad (you can see the QuickTime logo briefly while loading). However, it still looks awesome on the Note 3 (except when I use it on 3G...then it's choppy, but so is the case if you're in an iPhone and choppy 3G).

CeasarNY

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks SpookDroid. That was exactly what I was asking. I apologize to everyone if I was a little ambiguous but I didn't know how to explain clearly. I hope Google implements a similar way of decoding videos in a future update because when ur in an app, sometimes u don't have the option to open the video with ur browser, so u can't view the video. And u can tell the difference with animation smoothness on some videos (not all) with ios/android. But I forsee Google addressing this problem hopefully in the future. For now I'll just use flash Fox.
Thanks everyone for all your help. Greatly appreciated :)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
In all fairness, this has more to do with QuickTime VS HTML5 in terms of quality (iOS will most likely use more data when watching these videos, too), but as for the non-playing videos, I suspect there's more behind the pages' coding. I'm in love with Android, but until the iWorld ceases to adore iDevices, iOS optimizations will always come first (I know that if I were in that business I would, even if I owned an Android myself).

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
In all fairness, this has more to do with QuickTime VS HTML5 in terms of quality (iOS will most likely use more data when watching these videos, too), but as for the non-playing videos, I suspect there's more behind the pages' coding. I'm in love with Android, but until the iWorld ceases to adore iDevices, iOS optimizations will always come first (I know that if I were in that business I would, even if I owned an Android myself).

Well, they really should (optimize video for Android). There are far more Android users than apple users.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I tried the link on my phone today, Motorola Droid Ultra. First attempt the video wouldn't play, reloaded the page and only the Disney commercial played, the hockey highlight never played. Though, the video quality of the commercial was good, sorry but I don't have an iphone 5 laying around to compare it with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech