sort and group photos on android ?

bagou01

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
i went on a small trip yesterday and thought i'd group and name my photos on my nexus 5.
However, i came to the conclusion that i can't....
or did i miss something?
i mean, i simply wanted to put the photos in one folder, name this folder, and voilaaa. but no way.
i used the defaut "photo" app that came with kitkat, (i disabled the "gallery" app, given it makes no point to have two apps that do the same in one place).
the only solution i found is then to backup my photos on G+, put them in one folder there, and only now in "photos" i can see them as an album...
i must be missing smthg here?

FutureKix

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
You should not disable the "Gallery" app. The "Photos" is just Google+ backups. Yes, it includes local photos as well, but it's not intended to replace the Gallery. Only the Gallery can change the location of photos, create albums, etc. You should re-enable the stock Gallery in 4.4 and live with the two apps. :-\ If you're just stressing over organization then keep in mind that the two apps are for different things, even if they share some abilities. If you're just annoyed by having two apps that can view photos and needing to select one each time you open a photo, then just tap "Always" next time it asks you. ;)

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Photos is eventually going to replace the gallery app and all the photos in the gallery app are also in the photos app. When you open photos the default screen is "highlights". However, tapping "camera" will show the photos in the gallery app. Disabling the gallery app is not harmful, though it doesn't really accomplish anything because it is still there and you cannot uninstall it.

bagou01: You are not missing something. You cannot create albums in either app on the phone/tablet. However, there are 3rd party apps in the Play Store that do allow this.

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Face it - Gallery and Photos both suck wind badly.
And if - say, by using Android File Manager - you copy folders over from your computer that have sub-folders within them (ie: a folder named 2009 with a sub-folder called The Paris Trip), these apps will simply pull the sub-folders out of its folder.

I have no desire for Google to have access to my photos (or use up my cloud storage for that) and even less love for having to rename the files to fit their file structure. Meanwhile, I have yet to find an app that would even work as poorly as the iPhone Photos app - but even it at least leaves the photos in the appropriate main folders.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Connecting the device to a computer and sorting the photos by date is likely the best way to take the batch of photos taken on your trip and transferring everything to your desktop or Web based client for backup. Find the range of photos taken at the start and end of the trip to transfer. Not the most intuitive, but works.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Millionmiles