Contacts with multiple numbers

tommcw

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Many of my contacts have multiple phone numbers. When I receive a text from someone is there any way to differentiate which one they are texting from? For example, I usually send texts to my wife from my mobile, but sometimes I will send them from my tablet through google voice, which has a different phone number. She added my Google Voice number to my contact so she will recognize it. Both numbers show up as a different thread and if she responds it will go to the correct device. The problem is that she will open up her text app and pick my thread out of the list, but there's no way to tell which device she is selecting, so she will send texts to my tablet instead of my phone and I won't get it. I told her to create a completely different contact for the Google Voice number so she will know the difference. This works, but she doesn't want two separate contacts for me. It is kind of annoying that the contacts allows you to enter multiple numbers for the same person but doesn't differentiate which one is being used. Is there any way to get the text app to show which number the text is coming from on contacts with multiple numbers?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
In Hangouts (the app I use for texting), at the top of the screen when I select a text thread it shows the name of the contact and the phone number that I'm interacting with. If I tap the name/number it opens a screen and, presumably, allows me to change which number I'm texting (I assume this but I don't have someone with multiple "mobile" numbers).