Some problems with the basic Messaging app...

MF_GOON

May 22, 2014
Visit site
So I have a Razr Maxx HD and it just updated about two days ago. I'm still getting used to the aesthetics, but that's not really my problem. Today, I got a text from a friend, and the icon popped up up top like it should, and it said the contact name, but it didn't give any text from the message. Usually this means that it was a picture or another kind of MMS, but when I tapped on the notification, the app crashed, rebooted, and sent me to the page for when you hit 'new message' instead of the conversation i wanted. I initially thought nothing of it, but it happened a second time a few hours later! If i check the conversation, it shows no new messages, but the icon on my homescreen has the little orange flag, and that says i have four unread messages, even though I'm sure I don't. So did the messages get lost in translation when the app crashed? I don't know where to even start...

Posted via Android Central App

Jan842

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I have a similar problem. Razr M, completely stock (never even visited the app store). Upgraded to Kitkat recently. The messanging app is all sorts of broken now. I often have that orange little flag on the home screen telling me i have 1-2 unread messages (althought its gotten as high as 7!) but when i open up the messaging app there are no new messages.

I do know sometimes my wife sends me a picture text (usualy our kids doing something funny) and will call me at work and ask if i got the picture. My orange flag will say "1" but no new text from my wife. So somehow I think something is happening maybe server-side that is causing the text messages to not display properly.

Would love to know if anyone else has any insight

osiris355

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Why dont you just use hangouts? It comes with kitkat for a reason. The stock messaging app has pretty much been dropped by google

Jan842

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
posting in case it helps someone (i'm on razr m, kitkat):

i did seem to find a solution that seems to work, knock on wood. I was actually trying to load up the play store to download a new messaging app b/c i was so frustrated with the stock app w/ kitkat and play store was giving me "background data" errors.

So i went to:
Settings --> Data Usage --> click on the three squares in the upper right corner -->
Restrict Background Data (make sure this is unchecked)
Auto-Sync Data (make sure this is checked)

after doing that, i am now receiving all picture texts messages again. hope this helps someone

MF_GOON

May 22, 2014
Visit site
As of right now, I have 5 texts on the orange flag, and the number hasn't dropped since the update... still won't go away

Posted via Android Central App