GS4 I545 KitKat update failing repeatedly, worth it?

yooper1989

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
*Just a quick note, I've heard horror stories with KitKat on GS4, but I haven't seen anything even kind of consistent since March, is it worth it to upgrade right now, but a lot of people seem to be in love with it too! Let me know your thoughts.

Hello all, my non-rooted (completely stock) Galaxy S4 I545 with Verizon has been up for the new KitKat upgrade for a bit now and failed every time. It would typically download the update and around 21% fail every time.

Today I followed these instructions [Q]Stuck while upgrading to Kitkat via kies 3. Do not turn off the target. - xda-developers and got no where. I have almost all the same issues, Samsung Kies fails after a 100% upload and gives the exact error screen showed in the thread.

I was unable to do the steps in post #6, I never had the option to take those steps.

My phone has been backed up via google, Kies, and pictures on pc and removed micro sd card. I just did what I thought was the factory reset talked about in the thread and no luck! I'm not too concerned about losing stuff, I'm just hoping to get this update done.

Thanks to anyone who can help, I'm a pretty big noobie when it comes to all of the software on the phones!

yooper1989

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Even if someone can just point me in the right direction, I've tried searching but I'm not really aware of what to search other than I keep getting failures. All the things I see online are for rooted phones and I just think there must be a simple way without going that route!

If anyone knows a method to try I would be happy to attempt it, or who I need to talk to about this. Could I take it to my local Verizon store?

golls

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
The update might not have come to your network yet. Personally I wouldnt recommend Kitkat. Nothing but problems with lost apps and lost music, battery draining and issues with the gps! Too many bugs still.

Posted via Android Central App

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
There's nothing groundbreaking in Kit Kat, but there are a few nice things, and 4.4.3/4 fixed bugs for me. I'd say it's worth updating if only for the security fixes, but it's up to you.

The Galaxy S4 is locked down pretty hard: since you aren't worried about losing data, I'd try a factory reset. Other than that, I'm not sure there's a lot to do if you don't want to get into rooting and custom recoveries and whatnot.

shady360

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Having same issue with my wife's S4. Took it to VZW and they tinkered a bit, couldn't figure it out. Told me to take it home, backup everything, and do a factory reset. That's my last resort. Just wanted to see if anyone in here figured anything out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12