So is Android 4.4.4 the end of the line for the Nexus 7 2012?

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
There are all kinds of rumors on the internet that the Nexus 7 2012 can't run ART because of hardware issues, which seem's odd because you can install ROM's and enable it..

So officially if the Nexus 7 2012 isn't getting ART support, and L is exclusively ART, than 4.4.4 is the end of the line for the Nexus 7 2012.

Sad..

Kaido

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Well you got money to burn get the HTC Nexus 9. That tablet is going to be a beast in specs and you won't have to worry about updates for a long time.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I cannot say for sure one way or the other (as I truly have no idea) but I remember reading that the Nexus 4 is going to be receiving Android L, and it is approximately the same age as the original Nexus 7 (2012), so I would not give up all hope yet.

Dan

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
There are all kinds of rumors on the internet that the Nexus 7 2012 can't run ART because of hardware issues, which seem's odd because you can install ROMs and enable it..

So officially if the Nexus 7 2012 isn't getting ART support, and L is exclusively ART, than 4.4.4 is the end of the line for the Nexus 7 2012.

Sad..

Can you enable ART on 4.4.4? Is it missing from the developer options? The lack of the '12 and Nexus 4 in the preview doesn't suggest anything about an official release when the final code drops.

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
There are all kinds of rumors on the internet that the Nexus 7 2012 can't run ART because of hardware issues, which seem's odd because you can install ROM's and enable it..

Sad..

Blame Tegra 3

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 running Android L or Samsung galaxy S5

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Can you enable ART on 4.4.4? Is it missing from the developer options? The lack of the '12 and Nexus 4 in the preview doesn't suggest anything about an official release when the final code drops.

ART has been missing officially from the Nexus 7 2012's OS since ART first released.. Some guy working for the Android team said it might be due to flash limitations on space, but then never responded to the rest of the thread.

But.. the interesting thing is that HTC said they are updating the M7, so that's great news and not a hardware limitation of the M7..

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
ART has been missing officially from the Nexus 7 2012's OS since ART first released.. Some guy working for the Android team said it might be due to flash limitations on space, but then never responded to the rest of the thread.

Why they handcuffed the 2012 with that thimble sized system partition is beyond me. My wife's started to run like chewed *** one day and after some investigating, /system was down to 20mb free. But its moot... Big G decided that the 2012 wasn't going to get any ART love.... so it will be put on an ice flow and pushed out into open water.

FortTech101

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I can and I have it on my Nexus 7 (2013). I didn't know if you were talking about the 2012 or 2013 version.

JJMACCA

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Why they handcuffed the 2012 with that thimble sized system partition is beyond me. My wife's started to run like chewed *** one day and after some investigating, /system was down to 20mb free. But its moot... Big G decided that the 2012 wasn't going to get any ART love.... so it will be put on an ice flow and pushed out into open water.

Mines been running slow recently as well. How do you check the size of the /system partition. I can check the size of the folder if that's what you mean.

Posted via Android Central App

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I asked a buddy who works for Google (though in a different group, i.e. NOT ANDROID) and he asked around and was told that basically no decision has been made yet, but the Nexus 7 2012 could well be EOLed, but they are at least trying to make it work with Android L.

Again, my buddy is limited by what he can say or not say and I respect that, so take it with a grain of salt.

Dan

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Google has little to nothing to do with ART not being on the Nexus 7 2012. Nvidia stopped official support to our Tegra chip that is what stopped ART from getting to our Nexus 7. Same with the Galaxy Nexus and why it didn't get KK. TI stopped their entire mobile department which blocked Google from developing for the CPU in the Galaxy Nexus.

Nvidia is the problem here because I bet if they could Google would be more than happy to put ART on the N7 2012.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Mines been running slow recently as well. How do you check the size of the /system partition. I can check the size of the folder if that's what you mean.

Well.. All of the model have the same size... 600mb or something like that. What you need is an so that can see how much space is free on that partition. I bought titanium backup a while back and lists it in the main page.

The problem is that even a factory reset won't clean it up. I ended up wiping everything other than internal storage and flashing a custom ROM and the mini pa gapps. She ran like a champ after that

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I saw that.... interesting.... They must have figured out how to work around whatever technical issues they encountered.

Me? My money is on the small /system partition. ART takes up more space and getting that tiny little system partition to a) update and b) not pee down its leg when it boots the first time might have been a royal PITA.