My Experience on Android L so far

cribble2k

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the review.

Are you able to root this version of android? That's about the only thing keeping me from trying this.

Posted via Android Central App

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
Absolutely and that's why I got it. At least with me, WiFi has improved by now, which I find very strange. At first it was bad even when no downloads at all happened in the background and reboots didn't help, but at some point it just "clicked" I guess, which is strange for sure.
How are you finding the keyboard, by the way? While it definitely looks nice I personally have a hard time adjusting to it because of the lack of dividers between keys. But it's nice how they let you customize the key layout and even revert to the classic keyboard look if you wish so.

i am really liking the new keyboard. i don't mind the keys not being separated as it's a virtual keyboard, my fingers aren't going to feel a separation so what's the point? i love the flatness, but what i'm really liking is how fast and completely lag free the new keyboard is. the one thing i absolutely cannot stand in a keyboard is lag, and this one so far has not slowed down once.

Thanks for the review.

Are you able to root this version of android? That's about the only thing keeping me from trying this.

yes, it can be rooted fairly easily. some apps (Titanium notably) don't work, but they just need to be updated.

Martin Disch

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
You're right about not being able to feel any separation, I think it's more the psychological effect I feel after having used other keyboards for such a long time. But yeah, it is really fluid and that's great!

cribble2k

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
i am really liking the new keyboard. i don't mind the keys not being separated as it's a virtual keyboard, my fingers aren't going to feel a separation so what's the point? i love the flatness, but what i'm really liking is how fast and completely lag free the new keyboard is. the one thing i absolutely cannot stand in a keyboard is lag, and this one so far has not slowed down once.

yes, it can be rooted fairly easily. some apps (Titanium notably) don't work, but they just need to be updated.

Thanks!

qfnol31

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
My experience with it was pretty lousy (for battery life), though I wasn't too surprised. I don't think the saving features are really ready yet. I used Android L as my DD for two days before flashing CM 11. I went from 9 hours of battery life to 24-30 on a charge without changing my behavior or installed apps.

xperia2995

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Guys, please please post more pictures.
I cannot flash because I do not have a nexus. I would love to see how L looks.
Personally I did not like anything(too plain) except the layered windows.(wow)
It seems nothing is 3d now! So flat..
So more photos please :) ..

darth android

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Guys, please please post more pictures.
I cannot flash because I do not have a nexus. I would love to see how L looks.
Personally I did not like anything(too plain) except the layered windows.(wow)
It seems nothing is 3d now! So flat..
So more photos please :) ..

Well,sorry to be sarcastic, but...

Posted by a tuba playing,nexus 5 and 7 carrying future hacker.

Attachments

• lh5.googleusercontent.jpg
    lh5.googleusercontent.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 136

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Also installed on my 2013 N7 (I'll wait for an update or to before I flash my phone). I still hate the new soft buttons on principle (they shouldn't make learning the interface harder on new users) but for anyone experienced enough to flash a developer preview they should be easy to adapt to. I like the new notifications and the changes to multitasking, but really the biggest changes will come when Google (and others) update the apps to Material design, and at this point on a tablet it's just the calculator, and if you use Talon you can try out their Material preview, which looks pretty darn nice.

I really hope that in a few weeks or a month they'll release a second preview (or a beta, or whatever) that's a bit more stable so I can try it out on my phone as well. But still, I really like what I'm seeing so far (outside of the damned buttons).

AdamG3

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Using Android L?

Has anyone started using Android L as their daily driver? What are the pros and cons? Is it time to make the switch or wait for the official release?

jspidey

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Re: Using Android L?

Has anyone started using Android L as their daily driver? What are the pros and cons? Is it time to make the switch or wait for the official release?

Depends on the device you are talking about. I flashed it on my N7 the day after the preview came out. Its been great so far with the occasional hiccup. My tablet is not a critically needed device so I was OK with putting up with the annoyances. I will not be flashing it on my N5 however until things are fixed (MMS & tethering).

I've run into an issue recently where the tablet will get stuck in a certain orientation and will not rotate. I have to reboot it to fix it. Auto-rotate is enabled and switching it does nothing. Its probably not L because I think it just started happening.

The only problems I have with L so far is that if you use face unlock, it squishes the image when unlocking (it still unlocks though). And my major annoyance are the notifications on the lock screen when using security. It shows the app with the notification, but it has no info. It just says "Unlock to see this notification" - in each and every box. If you have a handful of notifications, it's a bit repetitive if you ask me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Lucie Kruger1

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
The Latest Android L has stunning feature of improved ap performance and responsiveness with latest ART Android runtime. It supports the native 64 bit applications with very fine hardware keyboard accessory support. Apart from this the audio, video and camera capabilities are very fine with improved internet or wifi connectivity

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: Using Android L?

I'm running it now as of yesterday (Build 21). One thing I noticed though is that I can't seem to access the dropdown for quick settings. I did the pulldown from the notification tray, and even tried the two-swipe method, but it doesn't display. Also, I've not gotten any notifications outside of the notification light. Now, mind you I installed this without wiping the device, only installing boot.img, the radio image, and system.img...I did this to keep the data/files. Any ideas?

Edit: I did a noob mistake...I should've just wiped it and installed instead. :p So, after doing just that, everything is working now. Notifications, quick settings, various features, and all the apps I use are functioning properly. :)

Last edited:

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
There are lots of improvement under the skin if you dig deep. I like the improved faceunlock (but doesn't seem to work on the preview image yet) and trusted devices. On the phone it have flashlight toggle which is much needed, looking forward to Google Search always listening and the active display mode as well for the N6 as well.

The one thing I really dislike are the slow animation. It's too slow animation and it remind me of Apple, where they slow down the animation for the phone to have more time to load so to give the impression of smoothness. I reduce the animation speed by half, but it's still too much for me.