CrackBerry.com on Android - Round Robin

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgss06

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
I am a 51 year old consumer male. I kind of waited a month or so after the release date from Sprint to get my HTC Hero. I read a lot of bolts etc and decided to get the phone. I had a Palm Treo so I wasn't sure about not having a keyboard. I must say after a little while I don't miss the keyboard. My wife had a Palm Pre, the sliding mechanism loosened up on it, we exchanged it for another Hero and she is so much more satisfied with the Hero than she was with the Pre. I am a pretty heavy user and I can almost get a day out of the battery. I have not shut any of the automatic updates of tracking off. This is as good as the Treo or a little better. In the Treo I had an extended battery also, 1850 I think it was. All I have for extra apps are the barcode scanner and the bubble level, needless to say all the stuff on our walls is level. I do love this phone will absolutely get another when the time comes.

djitch

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
For devices, I'm using the Droid and the Hero. So I want to know from you all:

1. how do you find the hardware (comfort of use, ease of use)?
2. how do you find the battery life (everyday light/normal use, heavy use)?
3. if you we're a BB user and switched up to give Android a test, what do you like and not like about it?
4. what are the must have apps? how does the device do with running them all?
5. how do you go about loading up the device with media (music, movies, etc.)
6. with all that, i want to know your background - are you in business (using it for professional use), a consumer, a student, young, old, male, female, etc.

and let me know anything else you think I need to know!

Mucho thanks!!

To answer question one... I think that most android phones are built pretty solid but there is just something about them that feels a bit awkward in the hand to me about them. but over all the hardware seems to be very solid!

2. The battery life on an android phone is not too much different than the one in my bb9700 or at least the ones I have used dont seem to be that different! i know comparing other phones to the battery life of a 9700 is an unfair comparison but oh well.

3. I am a blackberry user and have been for a pretty long time... about a year ago I tried to switch up to give the t-mobile G1 a shot. Odd and awkward phone, but the UI and OS seemed very solid. However I still got a bit tired of it after a very short period of time! now on the other hand...right now after playing with the droid, I am honestly considering switching over to that particular phone only because I really like the UI on the droid and the updated OS is very user friendly! So right now I am really in love with my bb 9700(bold 2) but I am having some very strong feeling about that droid. if only t-mobile had the droid... damn it looks like i will have to get one unlocked! :)

4. the must have apps for any droid phone are each and every one of the googlebased apps.obviously you are going to get them to run better on that ohone than any other phone...they are built to be run on that platform and wow do they ever run fantastic on it!
5. Just like any other device, i load all of my media like music and video by sticking my sd card into my card reader in my computer and loading itup that way!

6. Well I basically fit in every one of those categories. I am a 32 year old professional male. I use my phone for business and entertainment. I am a huge tach and gadget junkie! I also own a dj company outside of my fulltime job. So i am literally using my blackberry for work andplay.. and to top it off I am also going back to school right now as we speak...so I am also using my BB for my online classes as well!

dannzeman

Nov 25, 2008
Visit site
3. if you we're a BB user and switched up to give Android a test, what do you like and not like about it?
6. with all that, i want to know your background - are you in business (using it for professional use), a consumer, a student, young, old, male, female, etc.

1. I've been using Hero for about 2 months now and I think it's the most comfortable device I've ever used. My previous devices include the PPC6700, Palm Centro, Treo 800w, Palm Pre, Touch Pro 2, and the Samsung Moment. The Hero is the right thickness for me and the rounded edges makes it seem smaller in my pocket. Before I used the Hero I was confident I'd never like a device w/o a hardware keyboard. When I switched to the Hero from the Touch Pro 2 I was in love. I'm much faster on the Hero than I was on any device, the 800w being a close second. So the Hero is very easy for me to use.
2. The battery life is typical of any smartphone I've used. I start with a full charge in the morning and now matter how I use it it must be charged again around 8-9pm. The only difference in use makes is whether or not I have 30% battery life left or its flashing orange at me.
3. Never used a BB.
4. Handcent SMS, Abduction World Attack, Twidroid, Docs To Go, Midomi, Flixster.
5. I drag and drop media onto my device.
6. I'm a consumer. I use email and calendar heavily and the flawless integration with Google is great.

Dec 6, 2009
www.twitter.com
The slide out keyboard does take some getting used to, but it's great once you get used to it. I imagine someone with larger fingers would find it more difficult to use. When talking on the phone, the bottom of the phone is slightly uncomfortable when you're talking on it (due to the straight edge).

It's pretty good under everyday use. I currently have my email, twitter, and facebook set up to check constantly, and I don't have a problem with my battery lasting all day. I know the first few days I had it, I was constantly downloading and setting up apps on my droid, so the battery ran out pretty quickly.

I do miss push notifications a little. But they really weren't essential to me on a day to day basis. With K-9 Mail though, you can set up all your email accounts to one folder and choose how often it should poll for messages, which really helps! :) I also miss BBM...but hey, what can I do about that!?

For me, must have are: K9 Mail (better mail integration, differentiated polling times, combined inboxes, etc), DXtop (homescreen app, best part is the bottom dock for all screens and the four screen setup), Twidroid, a good file manager (I use Astro), Aldiko (ebook reader), Evernote, Bloo (better Facebook notifications), Ebuddy (for all my IM accounts since all my BBM buddies have Gtalk and other accounts), Google Voice for voicemail, Multi-touch gallery...Sherpa is also pretty good if you can get it ;)

I use iMusic for music on the go but the USB cord & "Mount device" works for any computer. Drag & Drop!! Easy enough! :D For iTunes to Android transfers, I use DoubleTwist

I use the droid for personal and business use, but primarily personal. I'm a 23 year old female and my profession is law enforcement. I know everyone says the Droid looks "masculine," but I absolutely LOVE it :)

mrdonbonjovi

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site

I can only comment on The Droid. The hardest thing to do before purchasing this phone was to attempt to forget the terrible engineering that went into the previous Motorola handsets I had the displeasure of using. After about 30 days with The Droid I can say that somehow Motorola has changed my mind. This is the most solid slider phone I have ever seen. I had a couple HTC sliders in the past and they were all wobbly and loose. The slider is very tight on The Droid and everything seems solid. Only flimsy parts are the volume rocker and camera button. Nothing to worry about but they stand out from the rest of the phone. The physical keyboard isn't that good but I don't really use it much but I guess that its nice to have... The screen is brilliant and wonderful to look at, especially next to my girlfriends iPhone. :)

Battery on The Droid is great. Especially compared to the Storm 1. I'll use it all day and have never run out of battery. People that complain about battery drain need to realize that if you have facebook, gmail, and a ton of other widgets or applications constantly checking for updates your battery will go bye bye really quick. Doesn't matter if you have Android, BlackBerry, or an iPhone.

I came from the Storm 1 and couldn't be happier. The big difference is the Storm 1 wasn't special at all. The OS and GUI is old and out dated, I constantly needed to wait for leaked OSes to keep my self interested. I don't think there is anything my Storm did that this doesn't do better. Biggest plus to the Droid is complete integration with my Google Account. Everything I use is tied to that and there is no extra steps needed to get everything to Sync.

1. Beautiful Widgets
2. Home++
3. Pandora
4. Slacker
5. Google Goggles
6. Google Maps
7. Google Nav
8. Google Voice
9. Shop Savvy

There are a bunch others but those are the ones I have used the most. No battery pulls needed with the Droid. :) Runs everything very well!

For music I used Motorola Media Link but there are plenty of other applications that will trick iTunes into thinking your SD card is an iPod.

Mucho thanks!!

I've had about 15 different phones in 8 years. Dumbphones, smartphones, PDAs. All from just about every company. Palm, Motorola, LG, HTC, Blackberry. Most of my friends consider me a tech geek and I'm fine with that I love my gadgets and I rarely go a year with out switching phones. I just graduated college as a mechanical engineer, started working for a communications company, and love my cars/tvs/phones/computer/playstation.

Good luck with the review.

zacko

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
35 year-old attorney. Smart phone experience before the Droid included Blackberry Pearl, Curve, Bold and Storm 1. Huge fan of Crackberry.com. Best BB forums out there (and the Droid forum's not too shabby either.) Anyway, I dropped the Storm for a Droid at the beginning of November.

Solid, as I think most have said. Makes the S1 feel like something your kid made for you at school. While the S2 is more polished, and I considered it, I found that the Android OS and Droid hardware just seem more intuitive for a touch-based device. Blackberry's OS is great on their QWERTY/Trackball phones, but it was never that intuitive for the Storm (even after the 5.0.XXX leaks).

The hardware keyboard on the Droid is not great, and if I needed to use it as my primary input method I would likely have returned the device. That said, I use the software keyboard for 95% of my text entry. I can type faster on it than the S1 and it's auto-correct is superior to that of the S1. Based on my limited experience with the S2, I still prefer the Droid's software keyboard. I find myself primarily using the hardware keyboard (and directional pad) for selective copy/paste operations and filling in form fields that are crowded together.

As a former Bold/S1 user, I'm used to charging every night. With normal use, I have no problem lasting the work day, even running wi-fi. Heavy use will require a charge before the end of the day. I believe it's pretty comparable to the Storm. One thing I noticed, however, is that I find myself doing more to drain it such as hitting websites directly instead of relying on Viigo or skipping them altogether because the BB browser is subpar. My browsing time has skyrocketed.

Likes: see above. It's a great piece of hardware and I'm loving the software. I don't have to pull a battery everyday or obsess about memory usage. Overall, it just feels more capable than my BB did. I can browse the web or click links without first asking myself "is it really worth it to wait for the site to load?"

Dislikes: Exchange functionality on the BB eclipses that on the Droid. I miss BB Messenger. I'm still baffled that there is no auto-signature for the exchange client. With the paragraph-long disclaimer that the state bar requires must accompany each email I send, that was almost a deal-breaker. Thank God for Touchdown.

Touchdown (Exchange app) is a must for me. It's a great program for managing email and calendars, though it's not as quick as BB is natively.

Beyond Pod (podcatcher/rss reader) and Twidroid are also great, although I wish we had SocialScope and Viigo. Of course, Slacker is a must.

Android can multi-task like no one's business. You don't have to worry about obsessively backing out of apps to properly close them or the dreaded memory leaks locking up the phone. Slow downs are rare. The worst I run into is the occasional "force close." The app shuts down and normally is able to start right back up.

Just drag and drop over USB like I did with the Storm. I am, however, downloading a lot of mp3's directly to the phone with the Amazon Mp3 store app. 1 (or 2) click Amazon shopping from the phone is deadly.

35 year-old attorney. I'm definitely using it for work, but I find that I am also using more consumer apps than I ever did with Blackberry.

Keep up the great work on Crackberry!

philchang53

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Former Crackberry Addict

Howdy Kevin. My NE2 came up in November. Until then I was waiting for the Storm2 or the Tour. Made the move to the Verizon Eris (Hero) instead. To answer your questions:

The unit (HTC) is solid. No complaints. It feels good in hand with a nice heft. The textured case on the Eris is very nice. Over all it unit looks good to.

I need to keep my phone charged all the time. Battery life is bad. Hoping the updates will improve it.

Easily, hands down... WIFI!!! I can use Fring to make international calls.
I wish the phone wasn't so easily opened from the home screen. I keep making calls by mistake. Maybe its just being new to the phone.
The number of apps and the different uses are fantastic. I'm waiting for the 2.1 update to get Google Maps with navigation :D
On the Eris, having multiple screens is nice. I can have one screen that has icons for quick phone calls to selected individuals.
The Sense UI is gorgeous! A big reason I even looked at the phone.
What I miss about my blackberry was a more tightly integrated contacts/calendar. Then again, being an old Palm user, I'm spoiled forever.

Dolphin browser, handscents, youmail, Wefi connect, Lite setting, Fring, apndroid, barcode scanner.

USB connection and manually move. But then again, coming from a blackberry/mac, this is SOP.

50+ yr old male executive. I produce shows, schedule meetings, cruise the internet. Contacts, calendar, browser are my most important uses. Love Blackberry but wanting WIFI, and having just the Storm on Verizon to choose from... This was an easy choice. I would stay with blackberry for one reason - the keyboard. Then there is the trade off between a physical keyboard and the larger screen. Would have loved the Droid but the keyboard didn't send a thrill up my leg. Once I considered the storm other issues came into play.

Say hello to all my old friends on Crackberry.com!

bethb

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
I had a Storm 9530 since February and really liked my phone. My Droid takes everything I liked about the Storm to a new level. I don't use the physical keyboard much- I love the landscape onscreen keyboard. I do miss the suretype keyboard from the Storm. Also, it was nice to have the option to delete e-mails on the phone but not from the inbox. Mostly I miss Crackberry so I was happy to see your Droid forum.

Some of the best things about the Droid are:
-YouTube videos in high quality look amazing.
-Touchscreen is easier and more responsive.
- The voice search works perfectly. I can get turn by turn directions just by saying the name of the place I am going.
-The Market has tons of free apps: Google Sky, ShopSavvy, Album Art Grabber, Backgrounds, (I even have a Star Trek Tricorder that works for free). If you pay for an app you have 24 hours to get an instant full refund. App World has no support and no guarantees.
- It is nice to have WiFi but I hardly ever use it. The pages load so fast it is not necessary.
- Battery life is a little better than the Storm.
- No battery pulls! :eek:
- We were promised an update on 12/11 & it was waiting for me on my phone that morning! That is a nice surprise after all of the waiting & installing leaked OS's on the Storm.
I'm 41, female and use it for personal use only.

Ethansdad

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I discovered this site after becoming a Droid owner, and was really excited to hear about the round robin. Glad to participate in some way. On to your questions:

I love the Droid, have used just about every feature. I don't use the keyboard often, but I have used it and find it convenient on occassion. I use the camera a lot, have never really had an issue with it. I love the flexibility of being able to change around the things I've got running on it. The Droid is a little heavy, but it's built solidly - I've been dreading the first time I drop it, and then it happened and no harm done at all. I found the hardware to be really intuitive to use - between the buttons on the bottom of the screen to accessing various features within the phone itself.

I'm probably a moderate/heavy user, so I can't begin to guess what battery life is for a light user. Prior to the recent software upgrade, I could go two days before charging - that's keeping the phone on continuously (not ever shutting it completely down, just putting it into standby). After the software upgrade, I find battery life a little worse (ironic, since it was supposed to be better) - now I make it through one day.

I wasn't a former Blackberry user, so I can't comment.

Pandora radio is a must. Dolphin is a better browser than the one that came with the unit. Astro the file manager has been very helpful. I've had multiple applications running simultaneously and never even realized it (no slowdown) - though it drains the battery quicker the more you leave open.

Dock with my PC and drag and drop files into the folders on the Droid. The important thing to realize is you have to access the menu at the top of the Droid to allow your PC to access it as an external hard drive. The apps on the Droid seem to have no trouble finding files no matter where they reside on the device.

I use it primarily for personal use, the exception being it has a bunch of my business contacts on it (it was easy to download it all onto the droid from my Palm). I'm a 36 year old male.

blastedmax

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Howdy Android Users!

So theSmartphone Round Robin[/URL] has officially kicked off, and Round 1 has me putting Android through it's paces.

Going back to last year's Round Robin, I was pretty happy about aspects of the T-Mobile G1 and especially the Android platform. I liked the Google homescreen user experience and overall found the device to be pretty stable, which was impressive for an operating system in early stages.

Mucho thanks!!

I have G1
1)very comforting, except it's little bit too big too fit in my pocket
2)horrendous, this is one thing all android phones should fix
3)As for android OS, I like everything about it =)
4)baseball superstars 2008.. best game ever... game is a bit laggy though comparing to iphone vers.
5) my phone is almost fulled with MP3s
6)22year old male senior at university of texas

hollip3020

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I, like many here, have a storm 9530 and I will be switching to a droid in the very near future (maybe even today!). I was so committed to BB that I even wrote software to shrink and hybridize the various OS releases (Storm Shrink and Hybridizer on the Crackberry Forums). Needless to say, it was not easy to decide to switch, here's why:

After playing with a friend's droid and a few times in the store (one time while waiting for CS rep to check out my storm cause I, like many, had the headphone jack stop working after the newest official OS release), it is quite obvious things just work better on the android platform. Transitions are smoother, reaction time is quicker, and although I once touted the click screen of the storm, it's use is starting to wear on me. Not to mention the lack of potential for true multi-touch on the storm. To be fair I have used the Storm 2 as well, and while I like that the screen doesn't need to move nearly as much to register a click, it feels like you need much more force to click it. Sadly, on the software front, it's still the same Storm (ok, maybe pun intended), although I did notice my typing speed was much faster on the Storm 2. Anyway, I digress...moving on...

Can't say much about this since I don't have one, but needless to say, battery life is not one of the reasons I'm switching. I spend most of my time in front of a computer coding, and my phone takes back-burner to the cornucopia of other forms of communication for most of the day. On a heavy day (maybe 30 min phone, 2 hours web, 30-40 sms/email), my Storm still comes home with over half battery left.

3. if you were a BB user and switched up to give Android a test, what do you like and not like about it?

One of the big things is the quality of the OS. Over the last year with my storm, it seems like there were only a few decent OS releases, and almost all of them were hybrids (a mish-mash of various parts of different OS versions, for those of you who are unaware). while this is all well and good, I don't want to have to rely on the community to supply me with a usable OS. Also, 3rd party apps on BB still seem like they're stuck in the stone age, with a few notable exceptions of course. They're definitely getting better, but I don't want to have to wait for things to get better when better is already available on android -- and iPhone for that matter, but at&t sucks and with the introduction of more and better android phones, the iphone is looking less and less like the "One Phone to Rule Them All" each day. Apple will need to uproot some of their core philosophies to change this, and I just don't see that happening -- and things are only going to get even better.

Once again, don't know yet, but soon!!

I'd assume I wont really be loading up much to it since it has Pandora and youtube and other key apps. Barring that, probably directly to the sd card manually.

well, I'm a 24 year old male software engineer and web developer, so it'll be used for about half business, half personal.

So there you go, a little bit more than 2 cents.

Innovator1

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Droid vs Storm 2: First Impressions

Hi Kevin,

I'm an existing Storm 9530 user who enjoys the phone a lot, really love it with OS 5.0, and am torn betwen upgrading to the Storm 2 or moving over to the Droid. I use mine mainly for business (I own a small retail shop), I'm 50 yrs old, male, and the Storm was my first Blackberry.

I recently played with my neighbors Droid for a day, and my business partners' Storm 2, and can report the following:

DROID:

1) Love the heft of this thing - feels very substantial in your hand.
2) Prefer touch-typing to the slide-out keyboard, at least initially. I'm so used to the spacing on the Storm that I was mistyping like crazy on the real KB, and over the course of the day I found myself using the touchscreen at every opportunity. (Spacing on the touchscreen felt more like the Storm.)
3) Its a bit--- clunky-looking. I wish it were sleeker.
4) The apps for this platform are amazing. Finally, a rival to the iPod (and I'm not one to worry a lot about apps - I use my Storm for its phone and email, and have less than 5 3rd party apps on my phone. I'm a big user of Vlingo, one of my all-time favorites...) But I can see myself using a lot of apps on the Droid - makes me wish someone could support the BB platform to a much greater degree than is currently done.
5) Browser speed is great, everything feels very well integrated.

STORM 2:

1) Easy move from the Storm 9530. Familiar feel, like an old friend. All my accessories and extra batteries don't go to waste....
2) The addition of WiFi is a great move, as is the added memory.
3) Sometimes, familiarity breeds contempt - the PressScreen didn't behave as I expected, and I initially had some challenges with it... ultimately adjusted, but I couldnt help thinking that, if I was going to make an adjustment at all, maybe I should just get used to the Droid's keyboard instead...
4) The OS upgrade on my 9530 made my existing phone feel so good, it's going to be a challenge to justify the upgrade, smply to get more memory and WiFi...

CONCLUSION:
The whiz-bang factor, and the overall win, goes to the Droid, hands down... its existing qualities, coupled with its ever-growing list of apps, will swing me to it despite its higher price tag. If you're not good with change, however, the Stom 2 is the platform to keep. It's what the original 9530 SHOULD have been...

Thanks for taking the time to read this -- I hope I've helped some of you!

Innovator

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Just traded my Storm 1 a week ago, and although I like the email functions on the BB better and the ease of sync with standard outlook for contacts and calendar, the Droid does almost everything else better.
1. Hardware is nice, clean lines, with good quality build, has a good heft to it, feels like quality materials were used, shoot even the flat keyboard is not that bad once you get use to it, and the touchscreen so much better than BB.
2. Moderate user, can go about 1.5 days, although I don't have that many apps running yet.
3. Already said a few items up above, but the browser is so much faster on Android, customization on the screens a lot easier and more flexible. With that said BB does do the email setup and push much better.
4 & 5. Just beginning to load the apps, must haves are the SMS Popup, Missed Call, Advanced Task killer, Pandora, Droid Light. . . that's it for now. Haven't really used any of the other media functions much yet.
6. Use mainly for work, engineering consultant, I also travel a lot so the gps function is a real plus. The quick browser also handy when I need to look up something out in the field.

Normally I upgrade to a new phone once a year, and while I was contemplating going from the Storm1 to the Storm2 or Tour, just couldn't resist all the goodies of the Droid, even with its email shortfalls.

ripcity00

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I use some movies and music, but still rely on an ipod for mobile use. It's nice to have for trips or to pass waiting time.
48 year old using it for professional and personal use. I love both ease of use and many options to use for both personal and work use. Size is a tradeoff, but is still not too big.

caasheew

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Answers :)

I actually love the hardware for the most part. The screen is absolutely beautiful. I like the sharper edges of the Droid over the Eris.

The battery is decent. With everyday use i can go about a day and a half before the battery is dead. That's with Mail checking every 15min as well as having the weather widget on every 30 min. I do txt a lot but i'm not really making many calls on average. If i switch to heavy use it's another story. If i start making a lot of calls and play with a lot of apps, i might not make a full day.

I actually was/am still a blackberry user. I had the Storm2 but changed to the droid. I still have the Tour for work though. I really do prefer the way blackberry does mail. I like being able to apply filters to my blackberry mail on the BIS server. I really miss that. I do miss BBM but i can deal with that a bit easier. I also liked that blackberry devices didn't require the use of a task manager( even if an occasional battery pull or quickpull was needed). As for what I like, there is a lot. I love the application selection for the Droid. While there are definitely good apps for blackberry devices i feel there are mroe for the droid. And more of them are free. If i need more screen space I can use the physical keyboard. As for the on-screen keyboard i definitely prefer it over the Storm2 one.

As for my must have apps i choose k-9 mail, pandora, advanced task killer free, meebo im , beautiful widgets, and PDAnet. I generally have them running at the same time and the device still handles really well.

I just use my droid as a usb card reader and load it all up.

I am a young male and I work for an IT dept at a college. So i use it for both Business and personal use. It does handle both well.

Sorry for the wall of text, if I left anything out or you want to know anything else I'd be happy to answer.

soccernamlak

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
The one thing I hope to see soon is more Android offerings (primarily with AT&T as they are my main service provider). Everyone else essentially is getting in, and with the "Google Phone" making the rounds these past few days, T-mobile looks like they'll be getting another one.

Sayo

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Having answered the questions yesterday, I figured today I might share a bit of information I read recently regarding the maturing of the Android OS marketplace..

It can be argued that Android has now assured its enduring place in consumers pockets through its surpassing of the 20,000 app landmark. That number puts Android’s third-party app market on par with the older Windows Mobile market in mere months since its initial release. That, by itself, proves the widespread acceptance of Android which may even be on target to surpass the iPhone’s magical 100,000 number.

Whether or not the majority of the apps aren't worth a second look is meaningless, as, in a world where the perception of relevancy trumps the reality, this figure, and the speed with which it was achieved, means something huge.

BeeRad

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I think the current flagship device, MotoDroid, to be a very solidly built device. Sure I've heard about the keyboard being a giant sticker and it could peel off if trying to install a case of some kind, but I'm sure its a rare occasion and you just have to use common sense. I've seen the iPhone have a caved in screen before. I think the main players are going to be bringing their A game for this platform now.

I can't really personally say, but I have only heard the rumors that it wasn't so good for the first Android phones. I think current firmware updates have helped. Am I correct fellas?

I think I would like how immersed in Google the phone is. Its like a warm fuzzy blanket and everything Google just works. The thing I wouldn't like at this point is the fracturing already and how its not real clear which apps are going to work for sure with which phones. This platform will mature though.

I can't speak for the crowd. A task manager and clock for sure (non Sense UI of course)

I would load with social, some music, and my work videos.

Male consumer with a side business as well.

Brazil01

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Hi there,trying to love android

To add my bit and answer the questions...I am using the htc hero or as it is known here in Germany,the t-mobile g2 touch
1-Hardware is cool,feels nice in the hand.I like the formfactor of the hero,the phone has that something.the volume rocker I find is on the wrong side.I am always accidently pressing it.I am very dissapointed with the camera,only ok when taking still shots,but u always have to take a couple of shots to be on the safe side that u are going to get that pic.
2-The battery life sucks,with low usage,the phone does not even last a day and I hardly make any calls.
3-I was using a nokia e71 and switched to android because I was getting tired of symbian at the time and was very interested in the cool looking Andriod OS.I must say,I love the smooth easy flowing UI of this phone,great to use,the best qwerty I have used,in landscape or portrait mode.Because I can type so fast with the thing,I find that I love tweeting and writing my mails with this device.If only the hardware and battery did not let it down???
4-Apps that I have on my phone:twidroid,great twitter app,facebook,mobble,Greader,wikitude,google maps,wifi,etc,etc...I still have not found a decent navi app for the phone...waiting for 2.0,if t-mobile will ever give it to us here in Germany...
5-I load my media via usb cable.The sync proccess really needs work,or maybe I am doing something wrong,or maybe the t-mobile rom just does not communicate properly with htc sync???The fact that bluetooth does not work like I am used to pisses me off.They say that bluetooth only works with a compatible headset or handsfree device and data transfere to other phones is not supported.This sucks,a device that costs over ?450 and the bluetooth functionality is limited???This was one way of loading data form one device to another previously,but not with the hero.I almost took the phone back to ask for a refund because of this.Cmon google,the cheapest handset can send data via bluetooth,just not my damn expensive htc hero...
6-Anyway,enough moaning about that,I have recently discovered the tech freek in me after buying my first smartphone,e71,bout a year ago.Father of 2 beautiful girls and I love communicating using mobile phones.Android and with the UI on the hero is just so beautiful to do this with.I was curious,I bought the phone,forget the shortcomings,after 1 year look how far android is already,I love it and up until last week was looking at getting the htc hd2,hoping for better hardware on a similar platform,then came the leak about the Bravo.So I will wait for that.I will definately get another android phone,but now I know what to look for and which features to test out before I buy.I dont use my phone for business,but I find myself in a foreign country,with my friends spread all over the world.Important for me is that I can be in contact with them,hence I want a phone with good social network integration,a great e-mail client for all my e-mail addresses(yahoo as well!!!),good camera and media playback capabilities,power to last more than 1 day and the Damn thing must look sexy...thats me...keep up the good work guys...

Tacos

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
I've personally switched to an (older) Android device, but, on the same token, I?m not nearly ready to dismiss Blackberry devices. For instance, while trackball assisted copy-and-paste is a handy asset to the Blackberry, Android has failed miserably at its first attempts. It was really a half baked joke. You could only copy and paste from certain fields, but if you wanted to copy and paste from an email forget it.

They both have great points but the bottom line is that they both provide clear benefits to different groups of people. For the average and internet surfer the G1 wins with its ample capacitive touch screen, webkit browser, and geneal fun, flashy feel, but for corporate user, the lack of Exchange or BES support, quality software/hardware keyboard, and general prestige means the 8830 or similar is better those users.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad