HMTL, JavaScript, Python, etc programming on Chrome OS?

zackmack7

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,

What are your experiences with programming and using IDE's on Chromebooks?

I'm looking to purchase a new laptop, but rather spending $8000-$1000 on an ultrabook, I was looking into some Chrombooks. The main thing I need it for is to take to class; I'm an IT major in college so I need to be able to do HTML programming, as well as Python, Javascript, and some Java. I know there's a few IDE apps that are available, but how good are they on Chrome compared to Windows? On my Windows laptop I can use Dr.Java and Notepad++, but these don't exist on Chrombooks. I just want to be sure Chrome has the functionality and apps to do heavy coding and such. Do any of you use your Chromebooks to do this kind of work?

I'm looking at the Acer C720. In my brief experience using one, I loved it. Initial impressions were good.

James Welbes

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
Hello!

Chrome OS is my main driver (I only use the old windows laptop when I need to operate my scanner, or root my phone). I use an Asus Chromebox (i3) and an Acer C720P.

I use CodeAnywhere and Cloud9 for FTPing into my server and editing code. It's great for HTML/CSS/JS. You get once instance, or workspace for free, but will need to pay money if you want to be able to FTP into more than one server, or FTP into one server, and also connect your Google Drive, etc.

You have various options, connecting to cloud services like Drive, Dropbox, FTP, SSH. It organized the code pretty well, has a bunch of features you would expect, like find, find and replace that sort of thing. Auto complete.

Both those programs are similar, I'm still trying to figure out which one I like more.