Everything Lollipop - Compilation of Changes: L Preview/KitKat>Final Preview

Walkop

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys! I've been using the first L preview on my Nexus 5 since it was released, while using my Nexus 10 on KitKat at the same time. I'm picky, and I've been doing a lot of research, so I think I have a pretty good idea of the changes. There's a lot of subtle ones. So: everything I know! Feel free to comment and I'll add things in.

There's also MUCH more to come, I only had time to write this so far. I'm still thinking and adding.

Legend:
KK=change from Android 4.4 KitKat
L1=change from the first Android L preview.

Design
Status Bar: the indicator for a lack of wireless connectivity in the status bar returns! [KK+L1] An exclamaiton mark ("!") will appear beside your WiFi or Mobile Network signal indicators if you lack internet connectivity.
Wireless and Mobile Network signal indicators are now solid all the way through, with no discernable "bars" denoting levels of signal strength. [KK+L1]
Material Design! obvious change. [KK] The design has now proliferated throughout the OS, with WAY more animiations and touch feedback. [L1+KK].
Lockscreen: the lockscreen has been totally overhauled. [KK] Notifications are shown on the lockscreen [KK], and notifications can be configured so that sensitive information is hidden, all information is shown, or lockscreen notifications are disabled entirely. [KK+L1] There's plenty of configuration options. Quick Settings are accessible by default on the lockscreen. Swipe right to access the dialer, and left to access the camera. Either action has a beautiful circular transition that moves out from the icon and occupies the whole screen, until it transitions into the application. [KK+L1]

Wireless
SIM Locks: there is no longer exagerrated touch latency when entering your SIM pin on device bootup. Only applies if you've enabled this lock (KK+L1). There's also a nice animation when entering numbers (KK+L1).
Wireless Handoffs: MUCH faster. Holy cow. Switching between multiple WiFi networks is easily 3 times as fast as previous versions. (KK+L1). According to what I've read, this applies to handoffs between your own WiFi and cellular networks as well, meaning no inturruption in connectivity while leaving home, etc. Great for VOIp.
Bluetooth: connection times are considerably reduced (KK+L1).

Security
Smart Lock: Motorola's Trusted Bluetooth Devices sees a reappearance in Android 5.0. You can tell the operating system to disable your lockscreen whenever you are connected to a specific Bluetooth device or tap a specific NFC device. [KK+L1]. Find it under Settings>Security>Smart Lock. Face Unlock has been relocated to this menu [KK+L1].
Screen Pinning: when this feature is enabled, a "pin" will appear on the most recent appliciation in your Recents list. Tapping this pin will lock the current screen into this app. The app cannot be changed without knowing your lockscreen password. Quite useful for sharing your device temporarily.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar