Can You Turn Off the Pop-up Text Notifications???

S_T_S_OM

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
The following worked for me:
Go to notifications in whatsapp
Set notification tone to silent
uncheck contact ringtone
Set vibrate to off (interestingly popups still come when vibration is on????? who developed this?)
Select no popup

The vibrate made the difference. Try it and let me know if it works for you as well.

this worked for me (LG-G3 L5.1)

Jim Schaffer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
HEADSOFF doesn't work. It disables ALL notifications. I can do that in settings WITHOUT the app!

GOOGLE, you need to fix this ****! It's been going on long enough!

jdiddy69

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I found this thread probably like most of you- trying to fix this extremely annoying pop up thing! Absolutely horrible idea. However, a couple of things..

There has always been a similar feature- the message text used to pop up, but it stayed enclosed in the notification bar. Now that I liked, because if I caught the message as it came in I could read it without even opening the app. Thus far I have found no way to get that back. I have, however, been able to keep the notification of whatsapp while disabling the annoying pop up. Oddly enough, you do it by turning it ON. Set it to show pop ups only if screen is off. Now, if your screen is on, you will only receive a icon in the notification bar along with your normal notification sound. Not sure about the other messaging apps, but it worked for whatsapp.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-06-05-19-14-02.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-06-05-19-14-02.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 15

L_advent

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
You can turn off the heads up notification and still get the notification by using android ADB command (no root needed).
Here is the command:
Code:
adb shell settings put global heads_up_notifications_enabled 0

KayPasa

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
This is where I found the setting on the regular, basic SMS Messages app, hope this helps someone else. It took me a while to find it.2015-06-12 18.20.21.jpg

doesn't look like the pic went through.

Okay so in Settings...Notifications...Pop-up display (uncheck)

Let me know if that worked for anyone else. I'm using a Note 4 with the latest software...

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I am having the same problem in my Galaxy A3.
Previously, whenever i receive WhatsApp messages, there will be a notification line indicating the sender name only. But after update to Android 5.0.2, notification panel on top showing sender with messages as well.

Secondly, i cant see any notifications on lock screen. The icon can be seen only upon unlocking the lock screen.
Kinda annoying.
Any idea, anyone.

I have tried Application Manager from Settings..but nothing happens.
Thanks a million

Frankie Dee

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Yes - two people have posted the solution above. In settings go to messaging settings > notifications > message preview and unselect it.

This stops the stupid banners showing your private convos to everyone

Hope that helps

paulto

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
You can turn off the heads up notification and still get the notification by using android ADB command (no root needed).
Here is the command:
Code:
adb shell settings put global heads_up_notifications_enabled 0

YES! thank you! finally a working solution! you are my hero L_advent!

RedHotLava

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Just an FYI, for WhatsApp, under notifications, I chose for both single and group notifications, only one screen "off". That stops the banner, at least for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

j3nova

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
Guys, i came to this forum looking for a solution and i found it. Rahman man was right,

go to Settings --> Lock Screen and Security --> Other Security Settings --> Pin Windows --> On

PROBLEM SOLVED !

adayoff

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Kindly help I am not a geek where to put this code? And can i get back the banner if I dont like it after geting rid of it

I don't quite understand either and am excited to try it. I need baby steps explanation, please. Ha!

incidentflux

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Just an FYI, for WhatsApp, under notifications, I chose for both single and group notifications, only one screen "off". That stops the banner, at least for me.

Solid solution. Thank You!

I was blocking all WhatsApp notifications on my Z3.

Now, solutions pending for Facebook Messenger and Hangouts. Until then they're blocked by system.

JaeVee101

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
Hey everyone,

Not sure if you guys have figured out a way to stop the pop-up notifications but I came across an app that helps sort this issue out (at least it did for me:) )
"Step 1: Install HeadsOff
Go ahead and install HeadsOff, Jawomo's app, from the Google Play Store for free. Obviously, you'll need to be running Android 5.0 or higher for this.

Step 2: Enable the Service
To get this application working, open it up and select "App is disabled," then enable Notification access. Once access is granted, heads-up notifications will be suppressed.

Step 3: Apply It on a Per-App Basis (Optional)
With the Pro version ($1.99), you can enable HeadsOff on a per-app basis so you don't miss out on the alerts you really want. There's also an option to select how notifications appear on your lock screen, but this can also be done natively through the stock Settings app."

Hope it helps!:)

quiverskeep

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I can't thank you enough for that. Works like a charm. I had Whatsapp notifications turned completely off and had to go check to see if anyone messaged me. Now I have notifications only in notification panel again! Thank you thank you!

wmichw

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
Same exact problem - first AT&T + Google forced updated my phone w/o asking anything and now whatsapp has this annoying floating popup that cannot be turned off! Extremely irritating! Stay away from AT&T guys as they do not let people choose what to put on your phone and this latest update screwed up all my settings and now I have to waste tons of time on changing the settings... really considering rooting my phone... From a nice cool tech company Google has turned into a monopoly-like monster corporation, just like AT&T is... hope new cool startup companies kick their *** at least in some small areas...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1